The color of the astro city panel (and the astro in general)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

The color of the astro city panel (and the astro in general)

Post by @Alaska- »

As the title says.
I m about to repaint the front doors (coin etc) and i was looking for a matching spray paint.
I gived a try to "white pearl" but doesn't match with the rest of the cab (too yellow :shock: )

I'm wondering what kind of color is.
Anyone tryed to do this?
any help?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: The color of the astro city panel (and the astro in general)

Post by cools »

You might find the whole cab needs to be painted to match - the paint might have discoloured over the years.

That said, the Astro should be a bright clean white - white appliance paint is normally used in the UK.

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer ... 10&image=2 Is a good picture - the Egret doors didn't match the cab on the flyer :)
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

You don want a 'pearl' colour as that will give a milky metalic look and would prob need a clear coat of laquer after the paint colour to protect and give the shine.

Anything metalic will ne a gloass clear coat of laquer or it will look flat and dull.

You just want a plain gloss white, plastic primer and your done.

You will be hard pushed to fine a perfect match for the cab as there old now and subject to the elements like smoke and sunlight so different parts of the cab will be different variants of white.

Best bet would be to just respray the parts thats re needed and live with the slight colour difference or repainte the complete cab to get a perfect colour match :)

I resprayed a Naomi in gloss white and the results are nice :)

Old yellow plastic (monitor surround) - New painted CP surround painted in gloss white

Obv mine was very yellowed before painting

finished
LOL Cats... stupid cats
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

cools wrote:http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer ... 10&image=2 Is a good picture - the Egret doors didn't match the cab on the flyer :)

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=thumb ... db&id=3013

Would be better. ;)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

True, but I was pointing out that cab doors don't have to match :D

Although in the case of the Astro, clearly they should.
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Plastic and metal will discolour in different ways over time so to get them EXACT you would need to re piant or find another Astro in better condition! :D

My Astro is not mint and I plan to repaint it all up soon.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

Post by @Alaska- »

Thx for the reply.
http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer ... 10&image=2 Is a good picture - the Egret doors didn't match the cab on the flyer :)
funny that.. :awe:
if you have an egret with no matching doors you will say that the orginal cab on the flyer is the same :lol: :lol:

Well, actually (and luckly) a total repaint is not necessary as the rest of the cab is zero yellowed. Pretty Shine.
Unfortunatley the doors are not that well.

I mean..
the rest of the cab looks like the resprayed part on this
so probably that glossy white could be the ansewer for my doors :twisted:

The naomi have that glossy white as original color or you use that as similar?

EDIT:
Plastic and metal will discolour in different ways over time so to get them EXACT you would need to re piant or find another Astro in better condition! :D
i know that.
actually i'm not interested in matchin perfectly well the color... for that it definetley need a repaint sadly.
Im lucky if the color of the door don't dismatch as now. (btw i suppose the doors was swapped cause they seem very yellowed .. too yellowed .. seen the rest of the cab that is not mint.. but close to)

I agree with repainting only the doors there would be a little difference . But hey.. that way would be great for me.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

A Naomi is gloss white - see andygeezer's recent brand new cabs :)
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

@Alaska- wrote:The naomi have that glossy white as original color or you use that as similar?

Sort of, its not AS glossy and the orginal Naomi isnt actually painted at all.

In the picture above the Naomi on the left is completly replainted in gloss white, the Naomi on the right is all std with only the metal base unit replained in the gloss white.

As the naomi platics were never actually painted (they were coloured injection moulded) then its hard to make them nice again unless they are in good condition anyway! :D

So sometimes painting is the ONLY option with them but the Astros were painted as the shell is black not white
LOL Cats... stupid cats
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

Post by @Alaska- »

sometimes painting is the ONLY option with them but the Astros were painted as the shell is black not white
yeah .. you're right. different from naomi, the astro is painted. some scratch reveal the black underneath.

So ... glossy white should be a good option to repaint the doors only . you agree?
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

@Alaska- wrote:
sometimes painting is the ONLY option with them but the Astros were painted as the shell is black not white
yeah .. you're right. different from naomi, the astro is painted. some scratch reveal the black underneath.

So ... glossy white should be a good option to repaint the doors only . you agree?

I would, its the cheapest and best option imo.

You could try to polish out the yellow as best you can with a paint cutting compound (like T Cut or G3) to start with and see if that give decent enough results before attempting a repaint?

But I bet the repiant would be best. Try an bit of paint on a scrap piece of metal first and match it up to the cab first if you worried and you can see if the differnce/match is ok :) esp if your just doing the doors as you could end up with very clean white doors instead of yellow! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

Post by @Alaska- »

thanks all for the reply.
so i ll walk the glossy white way.. i hope it work
Testocules
Please Continue...

Post by Testocules »

If there is nothing wrong with the plastic portions of your cab as far as scratches or cigarette burns, then this may help. It was posted by a member over on the Neo-Geo forums. Looks pretty easy to make and appears to work.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

How to make and use it:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Using+Retr0Bright

Here is the thread where another member is testing it out.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ferrerid=0

Unfortunately I need to have the plastic parts of my Super Neo 29 painted because there was a good sized cigarette burn on the control panel. I want all the plastic pieces to match so I'm forced to paint them all.
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

Post by @Alaska- »

no, sadly the doors (the only parts i would like to put in a decent look) are scratched ...
in some parts they have the paint loose so it there s no way to use that method..(very interesting btw).

I think every day more that they have been swapped.. (and the ones on my cabs ends on another..)

anyway... thanks for sharing that link.. very intersting ...