Cyber Lead, River Service JAMMA2JVS, and Street Fighter 2 (and Gals Panic 2/JAMMA in general)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...
eBay: a-murder-of-crows
Initials: RVN

Cyber Lead, River Service JAMMA2JVS, and Street Fighter 2 (and Gals Panic 2/JAMMA in general)

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

Hey everyone

I have a pair of Cyber Lead cabs, a river service JAMMA2JVS, and a street fighter 2 board i'm trying to get working together.

When hooked up, i get video and audio, but no controls. I know the controls work as i am able to use Tekken 3 and a Namco unit without issues.

i *THINK* it is JAMMA specific, as i also have a Gals Panic 2 board that i hooked up. It has the same problem: no controls.

i'm at a total loss. Searching for Cyber Lead and JAMMA resulted in nothing that looked like it would help.
Last edited by AMurderOfCrows on October 6th, 2015, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pulstar

Re: Cyber Lead, River Service JAMMA2JVS, and Street Fighter 2

Post by pulstar »

Have you confirmed the SF PCB is working as normal on another (maybe native JAMMA or with a different JVS>JAMMA adapter) cab?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Locked controls can be caused by a grounding issue. Does the service button work?
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

Thanks for the replies so far!

So, i have no way to confirm myself that SF2 works, but i CAN tell you that another JAMMA board (gals panic 2) does the exact same thing.

I'm not sure that the controls are locked so much as simply not connected right. The card seems to work for powering audio/video, but i wonder if maybe the USB port on it is shot or something.

I don't have any other I/O boards, so i figure my next step is to get a new JAMMA to JVS board and try again?

I also am not sure about the service button. Where would this be located, and what is it supposed to do? Does the fact that the controls work on other, non-jamma games mean anything?
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

AMurderOfCrows wrote:Does the fact that the controls work on other, non-jamma games mean anything?
That points at a problem with the JVS>JAMMA adapter because your cabinet I/O board seems to work fine if Tekken 3 is working fine.

JVS>JAMMA boards are quite thin on the ground but they can be found. If you can get your adapter looked at by someone (or yourself) that'd probably be best...or maybe make up a JAMMA loom for the Cyberlad yourself, that way you wouldn't have any input lag (which the riverservice adapter supposedly has).
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

pulstar wrote:
AMurderOfCrows wrote:Does the fact that the controls work on other, non-jamma games mean anything?
That points at a problem with the JVS>JAMMA adapter because your cabinet I/O board seems to work fine if Tekken 3 is working fine.

JVS>JAMMA boards are quite thin on the ground but they can be found. If you can get your adapter looked at by someone (or yourself) that'd probably be best...or maybe make up a JAMMA loom for the Cyberlad yourself, that way you wouldn't have any input lag (which the riverservice adapter supposedly has).

Figures. I tracked down a couple of Namco JAMMA to JVS cards, going north of $350 each, which is almost as much as i paid for the cabs.

I don't have the knowledge / skill / time needed to make my own loom, so i can only hope that maybe there is someone i can pay to produce a pair for me, or i'm stuck buying the I/O cards i guess.

thank you again for the help
Rossyra
Supermod

Re: Cyber Lead, River Service JAMMA2JVS, and Street Fighter 2 (and Gals Panic 2/JAMMA in general)

Post by Rossyra »

The test and service buttons are on the JVS/Jamma adapter.
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Re: Cyber Lead, River Service JAMMA2JVS, and Street Fighter 2 (and Gals Panic 2/JAMMA in general)

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

Rossyra wrote:The test and service buttons are on the JVS/Jamma adapter.
ah ha! Yes, they do. Service sounds like it gives credits, test sends the board to the config screen (like bank C dip 8 was flipped On). No input from the USB though.

really thinking the USB on this I/O board is the problem now.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Try a different USB cable. If you have the kick harness connected, unplug it.
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

Rossyra wrote:Try a different USB cable. If you have the kick harness connected, unplug it.
okay, will try that, but does it make a difference that the controls work as is for other games and that it happens for both cabs?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Best try the easy stuff first before you start dropping piles of cash on adapters IMO.
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

Rossyra wrote:Best try the easy stuff first before you start dropping piles of cash on adapters IMO.
This.

Might be worth checking the pins on the USB port and the soldering of the USB port on the board for any dry joints. I've had pins on USB ports break off or bend up before.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I did a little JVS lab work a few weeks back, and had the riverservice adapter on the bench. From what I can gather, it does not support multiple IO boards. I'm not 100% sure how JVS works on the cyberleads, but it's more complex than most cabs.

What you can try is to make sure the IO board has a USB cable directly to the riverservice adapter, and NO other usb cables connected.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

invzim wrote: What you can try is to make sure the IO board has a USB cable directly to the riverservice adapter, and NO other usb cables connected.
Worth checking this as I remember the USB cable in my Cyberlead going to the ntsc board at the back of the cab and then from there to the IO board.
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

invzim wrote:I did a little JVS lab work a few weeks back, and had the riverservice adapter on the bench. From what I can gather, it does not support multiple IO boards. I'm not 100% sure how JVS works on the cyberleads, but it's more complex than most cabs.

What you can try is to make sure the IO board has a USB cable directly to the riverservice adapter, and NO other usb cables connected.

Well, i did a different test. I hooked up a micro usb cable to the cable slot of my Tekken 3 board and hooked that up to a portable mouse. When the cab turned on, i got lights on my mouse.

i tried the same thing with the riverservice card and didn't get anything.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Invzim's suggestion is a good one, I completely removed the video board on my Cyber Lead
invzim

Post by invzim »

AMurderOfCrows wrote: Well, i did a different test. I hooked up a micro usb cable to the cable slot of my Tekken 3 board and hooked that up to a portable mouse. When the cab turned on, i got lights on my mouse.

That is not smart, jvs IS NOT usb - the signals are completely different.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
AMurderOfCrows
Please Continue...

Post by AMurderOfCrows »

invzim wrote:
AMurderOfCrows wrote: Well, i did a different test. I hooked up a micro usb cable to the cable slot of my Tekken 3 board and hooked that up to a portable mouse. When the cab turned on, i got lights on my mouse.

Perhaps not, but it proved a point fairly quickly with what i had available. the river service card's port did not cause the mouse battery lights to light up, the Tekken 3 board did. Unless the two boards do not provide power at the same pins, which would strike me as incredibly odd, I should have gotten the exact same reaction.

Yes, this would have been infinitely smarter to test with a multimeter. No, i didn't have one at the time.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

So did you try plugging the i/o direct to the jamma adapter?
invzim

Post by invzim »

AMurderOfCrows wrote:
invzim wrote:

Perhaps not, but it proved a point fairly quickly with what i had available. the river service card's port did not cause the mouse battery lights to light up, the Tekken 3 board did. Unless the two boards do not provide power at the same pins, which would strike me as incredibly odd, I should have gotten the exact same reaction.

Yes, this would have been infinitely smarter to test with a multimeter. No, i didn't have one at the time.
Not at all I'm afraid - JVS does not supply power on any pins like USB. You have a sense line which is pulled high by a pull-up resistor (often internal to the controller chip) until the slaves are initialized - then it is dropped to 0, this merely a signal and not intended to drive anything the way USB does.