Pink Konami Windy volume pot

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
PunkicCyborg
eBay: evan_labit

Pink Konami Windy volume pot

Post by PunkicCyborg »

I have what I guess is the early version of the pink Windy that does not have a volume pot. It has a little bracket on top of the PSU where it is on other cabs but no volume adjustment. The speakers are driven by the PCB power only. The PSU doesn't have an amp as far as I can tell.
Do the pink Windy's with volume pots have an amp in the PSU or is it just a pot that adjusts the jamma audio? If it's just a pot could a Windy owner provide me some info on the specs of the volume pot like the size and how many pins and if it's in the circuit before or after the stereo/mono break out?
This is my only cab that doesn't have a volume adjust and it's driving me CRAZY and would love to add something to it and want to keep it close to stock if possible
Thanks
PunkicCyborg

Re: Pink Konami Windy volume pot

Post by PunkicCyborg »

Found a pic online of one with the volume pot
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/0/0e ... Inside.JPG
And here's the wiring diagram I pulled from the manual.

I want to basically reproduce 404192 and 402792a. I have the tools and stuff to make all the AMP harnesses so I just need to find a suitable solution for the adjustment pot.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

I'll check the value of the pot in mine when I get home.

On an different note I've just seen a foot plate in the manual. I can't find any pics online... :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

Just has a quick look at the pot. The only writing on them is L-8Ω71 and this can be seen in the top image.

100¥ coin for scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PunkicCyborg

Post by PunkicCyborg »

yosai you rock! I appreciate the excellent pics and hope this info helps other Windy owners as well as I know a lot of people are missing the audio pots.
So after reading about trim pots and wondering why that one is so huge I learned that it is a dual gange 8ohm l-pad potentiometer. The circles around the resistor on the diagram are probably designating that it is a l-pad pot.
Here's some awesome information about what an l-pad potentiometer is and it makes sense why you use one in a cab set up like this
"L-Pads are dual resistive devices that are specially made to maintain a consistent load on a power amplifier's output, while allowing you to adjust the actual signal level going to a speaker."
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/lpad.html
I'm assuming the 71 is referring to the wattage? I couldn't find any rated at that but it sounds like I'm looking for a dual gang 8ohm 100w lpad potentiometer
PunkicCyborg

Post by PunkicCyborg »

This is what I bought, I'll update when all the parts come in
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

Nice bit of research there. :thumbup:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Do the ohms on the speakers match that? Wondering if I can retrofit a volume control to my Pony.
PunkicCyborg

Post by PunkicCyborg »

cools wrote:Do the ohms on the speakers match that? Wondering if I can retrofit a volume control to my Pony.
With these L-Pad potentiometers the ohms match the speakers. So the one I ordered is 8 ohm to match the 8ohm speakers. I'm not sure whats in a pony, aren't some 1 speaker? If it's a 1 mono speaker 8 ohm you can get a single l-pad pot. I also saw some 4ohm l-pad pots too but didn't see any dual gang 4 ohm l-pads. If it's 2 4 ohm speakers you could just get 2 4 ohm l-pad pots and have them in each speakers circuit individually. Just make sure it's rated for at least 15 watts or higher.
After I do my Windy I'm gonna try to add a speaker adjust to my friend Neo Candy 25 that also doesn't have a pot on it. I'll try to make a follow up guide if I'm successful. The thing with using a pot like this though is you can't turn up the volume higher than what the PCB is set at
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Its a single 4 ohm speaker iirc. Cool, I might get that done, I have spare connectors somewhere and there's a hole for it :)
PunkicCyborg

Post by PunkicCyborg »

I posted this over at Neo Geo so I'm going to just paste it to make it easy. I finished my project, thanks Yosai for the pics, I really appreciated it.

I picked up a pink Windy recently and was a little dissapointed that mine was an early model that didn't have the volume pot. I got some picks from someone on Arcade Otaku and with the manual I was able to recreate it.

This same installation can be used for other old cabs that didn't have a volume pot at all like some older SNK cabs. The main part you need is a L-Pad potentiometer. These are 8ohm and keep a consistent load on an amps output. I got mine off of ebay for about $13. Here's some more info on how it works and why you need one instead of a regular potentiometer
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/lpad.html

Wiring diagram for Windy cabs. I bought amp plugs and connectors from digikey. The part numbers are in the AO wiki section
close up pic of my L-Pad circuit and Amp plugs. I attached the plate to the odd bracket that is on top of the Windy like they intended to install one there and didn't.
A single gang L-Pad already in my Irem Madonna cab. The difference between this and the one in my Windy is the Windy also came with a Stereo harness for Konami boards and other boards with amplified stereo outputs (4 pin JST header)
I personally don't like cutting into the harness and wanted to make it look clean but this could easily just be cut into the middle of the audio harness if you need to. The -pole goes on the right post, +input on the left and +output on the middle post.
I hope this helps someone here. I know it's a major pain not having an easy way to turn the volume down in a cab when you have it in your house and the least amount of contact with a PCB while it's on the better.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

yosai wrote: On an different note I've just seen a foot plate in the manual. I can't find any pics online... :think:
My pink Windy also does not have this foot plate, in fact, I have seen several pink Windy's recently and none of them have this foot plate.
Perhaps it was an additional accessory?