Astro Panel Restoration

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Xenepp

Astro Panel Restoration

Post by Xenepp »

Someone over on the Gamoover forum has posted a tutorial on restoring a badly rusting Astro panel here: http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=7859.0

I was wondering if anyone had tried this? I'd imagine the overlay might not lay as well the second time round. I was considering doing this to my EII panel but knowing how hard it'd be to get another I wasn't sure if it'd be wise :?

-Joel
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Astro Panel Restoration

Post by cools »

I'm amazed that overlay came off so easily and cleanly. The Windy one was an utter pig.
kaneda56
Please Continue...

Post by kaneda56 »

Hi there
First of all sorry for my bad english.
I'm the one who did the astro panel restoration, but i'm affraid that this method is astrocity specific, for two reason:
- The astro cpo is very strong, it's not easy to damage it even if you pull it hard.
- The glue is strong enough to fix the cpo, but stay on the metal plate when you remove slowly the cpo. Easy to eliminate with acetone after...
I tried this method on diffrent panel, including blast and naomi, and it was very difficult to obtain the same result (very strong glue and more fragile, easy marquing cpo) and sometimes impossible (first series naomi cpo, sanwa version of blast cpo...)
So I can't tell you if the E2 panel would be as easy as astro's, but honestly I don't think so. I don't really remember, but I thought that taito panels cannot rust?!? Isn't it inox or something like that?
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

kaneda56 wrote:I don't really remember, but I thought that taito panels cannot rust?!? Isn't it inox or something like that?
Well my panel has some light rust and would have liked to prevent it getting worse but after reading what you have said I think I'll just live with it.

-Joel