Importing Candy Cab Within Europe [NNC Bought from RKLOK]

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Importing Candy Cab Within Europe [NNC Bought from RKLOK]

Post by Mantrox »

Hi everybody,
i have been pondering for some time now if importing to my country (Portugal), is or not a good ideia, when it comes to this kind of "fragile" merchandise.

Even if you buy from a trusted source, you can never anticipate what the transport company is going to be like. And when the most fragile part of the cab is the most important, and hard to repair, it tends to send a wrench into the works and stop me from going forward.

So, with all the problems of this kind of transactions in mind, what are your tips, experiences and warnings when it comes to buying a cab from another country?

When it comes to the origin of your purchase, try to be as specific as you can without entering into gratuitous publicity (from reading the rules i get the sense, it's not condoned).

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

Edit: Damnit, wrong sub. Can a mod move the thread to the Arcade Games sub, please?
Last edited by Mantrox on August 13th, 2015, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Re: Importing Candy Cab Within Europe

Post by zumbito »

Hi, I you are interested I am selling a Blast City out from Valencia Spain. Kind of far but the closest I imagine. I will be around in summer if you want to have a look.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Interested!, PM sent.

Anyway, we still don't have any information in the thread.
Cmon people share your story! How did that cab end up in your game room?

How much did you pay?
Was it a fair price at the time?
How did you deal with the transport?
Did anything arrive damaged?
How many beers did you have to buy to get that strange cousin of yours to help out carrying the machine to the attic?
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Ask Ronnie, he ships to most of Europe. I don't think I've heard of any issues.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Thanks for the tip. I am buying from him a nnc. Pretty stoked!

Anyway still, nobody wants to share some importing tales?
jhonny_d
eBay: rapace_mnb

Post by jhonny_d »

I decided to pick up my egret 2 in Belgium myself (I'm from Italy), really nice experience crossing europe back and forth with a cab in the back :)
Egret and similar sized cab (astro, etc) can fit easily on the back of a station wagon with the control panel not assembled

I don't have direct experience with third parties shipping of candies, but I worked in a factory that was regularly sending and receiving pallets and goods packaged with other methods. I would say 90% of the time stuff went smoothly but sometimes stuff can also go wrong (ranging from minor damage to total wreck), I witnessed stuff falling off the truck/forklift, goods that couldn't being stacked were put one above the other, etc. Most of the times the driver are handling the items pretty roughly so a super strong packaging is a must for everything even remotely fragile

I would say go for it, since Ronnie is experienced with this stuff and know how to pack the cabs properly, but keep in mind that a small chance of trouble happening exist
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

I bought an Astro and a Blast City from Ronnie and it was very uneventful, he shipped, 5 days later the courier dropped them off in the condition they shipped in. Perfect transactionreally :awe:
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

jhonny_d wrote:I decided to pick up my egret 2 in Belgium myself (I'm from Italy), really nice experience crossing europe back and forth with a cab in the back :)
Egret and similar sized cab (astro, etc) can fit easily on the back of a station wagon with the control panel not assembled

I don't have direct experience with third parties shipping of candies, but I worked in a factory that was regularly sending and receiving pallets and goods packaged with other methods. I would say 90% of the time stuff went smoothly but sometimes stuff can also go wrong (ranging from minor damage to total wreck), I witnessed stuff falling off the truck/forklift, goods that couldn't being stacked were put one above the other, etc. Most of the times the driver are handling the items pretty roughly so a super strong packaging is a must for everything even remotely fragile

I would say go for it, since Ronnie is experienced with this stuff and know how to pack the cabs properly, but keep in mind that a small chance of trouble happening exist
From Belgium to Italy with an Egret II in the back, if i did that it would be a very unnerving trip. How are the roads in italy? If i did that in Portugal, the last part of the trip would be a slalom to avoid all the holes and unregularities of the road, trying to keep that monitor alive and well.
phillv85 wrote:I bought an Astro and a Blast City from Ronnie and it was very uneventful, he shipped, 5 days later the courier dropped them off in the condition they shipped in. Perfect transactionreally :awe:
That's the best i can hope for. Just no fuss, have it arrive, plug it in, and be done with it.
jhonny_d
eBay: rapace_mnb

Post by jhonny_d »

Mantrox wrote: From Belgium to Italy with an Egret II in the back, if i did that it would be a very unnerving trip. How are the roads in italy? If i did that in Portugal, the last part of the trip would be a slalom to avoid all the holes and unregularities of the road, trying to keep that monitor alive and well.
Roads are so-so but these cabs are built like a tank :awe:
they're heavy items and unless you hit a huge hole in the road you're safe (you'll have to seriously damage your car before the cab taking a hit)

btw I was young and reckless, right now I'll prefer the convenience of having it delivered to my home :)

Keep in mind that a japanese cab normally take this route: loaded in a container --> shipped by sea --> container loaded on a truck --> truck goes to seller
not exactly a shock proof delivery method, but I have faith in the toughness of japanese made equipment :awe:
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Yes, you have a point, lately i have been convincing myself more that this is the case.

I asked RKLOK the other day, what was his experience until now, shipping these machines through all of europe. And even though he's selling the stuff, and the salesman's words are usually less valuable than the fluff in his pocket (don't think this is the case with RKLOK though); he told me he has shipped about 500 cabs and of those 500 he only recalls 2 being damaged (and it was covered by the insured delivery).
So it seems to be a non issue.

I think im just being paranoid about that Toshiba PF breaking or malfunctioning on arrival. The ideia of having to mess around with CRT tubes just gives me nightmares.
I want to learn it though. I just want this cab to arrive safely and then i can work on the other cab. I remember it had convergence issues, so im hoping i can pop in there with some magnetic strips and do some tweaking.

Having a yoko + tate setup at home is still a bit far off.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Mantrox wrote:Having a yoko + tate setup at home is still a bit far off.

Just put that awesome Tosh in tate, who needs yoko anyway? :awe:

Deathsmiles, right... :lol:

Relax mate, everything will work just fine.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

RMRM wrote:
Mantrox wrote:Having a yoko + tate setup at home is still a bit far off.

Just put that awesome Tosh in tate, who needs yoko anyway? :awe:

Deathsmiles, right... :lol:

Relax mate, everything will work just fine.
/offtopic
Haha, only one problem though, were are the games?
I still don't have at least one good vert shmup :cry:

Well, 1943 is alright but im not a big fan, that's all...

I need to trade something towards a Dimahoo or DDP DOJ to get that ball rollin.
When i have a third kidney to sell ill think of deathsmiles, until then, ill keep suckin on my thumb :(

That DDP we played was awsome, but ill have to wait until next month to try to get it. A trade with a bit of cash on top would be great though.
/offtopic

The cab is still not shipped... *pacing around*
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Just a quick bump to show the beast!
Some pieces missing from the CP, as im still cleaning after the move.
NNC2.JPG
Spotless Toshiba PF made in 2004.
From RKLOK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Importing Candy Cab Within Europe [NNC Bought from RKLOK]

Post by geotrig »

congrats looks ace :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
moshpit
Fantasy Zone Finder
Initials: RON

Post by moshpit »

Sweet 8-)
WARNING! A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST!
mastercello
eBay: mastercello
Initials: BUS

Post by mastercello »

Muito legal - enjoy! :-D :thumbup:
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Thank you.

It was hard work having to do the disassembly and assembly back to back, on the same day , to get it into the apartment.
Just having it on attract mode is so enticing to play.

Im pretty stoked!

RKLOK is a top fella as well.