Cabinet painting

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Cabinet painting

Post by zak »

Can anyone recommend anyone who can treat and paint cabinet parts?

Does anyone here offer this service for a fee? :)
Keithj202
Please Continue...

Re: Cabinet painting

Post by Keithj202 »

I too would like some advice on cabinet painting. Any place in SoCal that they do it?
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Same here, would like to make my new net and blast look fresh new.
GermanGameRoom
Please Continue...
Initials: JTP

Post by GermanGameRoom »

I mean I painted my Astro City.. almost every part of it..

what advices do you need? :D

the colour is VW and Audi Candy White LB9A and I used a spray can back then.. multiple light coats, smartrepair is possible, don't use sandpaper when the paint is wet :awe:
LJN wrote:YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE DEAD.
GAME OVER
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

GermanGameRoom wrote:I mean I painted my Astro City.. almost every part of it..

the colour is VW and Audi Candy White LB9A and I used a spray can back then.. multiple light coats, smartrepair is possible, don't use sandpaper when the paint is wet :awe:
How do you prepare the surface for painting? Mine are quite rusty ad don't know if I should get rid just of the rusty parts or or the entire painting. How to get rid of the rust. If you can paint metal and plastic de same way or how careful do you have to be with dust to achieve a professional look.
GermanGameRoom
Please Continue...

Post by GermanGameRoom »

zumbito wrote:
GermanGameRoom wrote:I mean I painted my Astro City.. almost every part of it..

How do you prepare the surface for painting? Mine are quite rusty ad don't know if I should get rid just of the rusty parts or or the entire painting. How to get rid of the rust. If you can paint metal and plastic de same way or how careful do you have to be with dust to achieve a professional look.
you have to get rid of the rust first if you have any (I only had rust on the underside of my control panel which I removed but didn't paint)
depends on where it is and how much/how deep the rust is.. usually you are good with a fine sand paper like everything above 200 grid and give it a light sanding until the rust is gone

for prepping you should definitly roughen the surface.. for example with sand paper again.. metal can be above 200 grid but for the ABS parts I would get an even higher grid so you don't accidently scratch it
then of course you need to clean the parts very well
pro tip: just use water - never use soap - you could use 99% alcohol - NEVER USE SOAP!!!
soap can leave residue and even if you think you removed all the soap there still can be little spots left and the paint will drive away from these spots, leaving you with a really ugly finish.

dust: everywhere is dust and you can't really 100% get rid of it.. just clean the room before painting and try not to make a lot of air flow right before or while painting
if you are spraying in a garage of some kind you can wet the floor so the dirt won't get airborne
and after you sprayed you should leave the room (your lungs will appreciate it)
normal car spray cans won't get affected by dust anymore like after 20 minutes.. and this is about the time for your next coat

use really thin and light coats and you should rather do more coats then thicker coats - don't go too close to the object but not too far either (about 30cm works perfect for me)
if you have done a coat and wait over night (more then 8 hours) then the paint will probably too dry to just give it another coat and you have to lightly roughen it up again
but if you only wait like 20 minutes between coats you don't have to do that (and you can't because it's still kinda gummy)

if you are painting on already painted metal and no bare metal spots then you can just go with the candy white
if you are painting the ABS parts or bare metal I would consider giving it 1 or 2 coats of primer first (there are good ones out there for plastic and for metal)

and after you've done all that you should seal it up with a "2 coat clear coat" or a 2 component clear code..

if you ever feel that your varnish is too rough and not smooth enough - then you need more coats :D

if you are only doing smart repairs (which is possible) then make sure to be clever about it and end the paint on some corners or edges
or if you are very confident with your skill then you can make it into a gradient
of course only if the rest of this piece is still perfect candy white

anymore questions? feel free :)
btw - you should get spray cans that are meant to be used for cars for everything - primer - color - clearcoat
GAME OVER
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

So, for example in the andy door, which has rust and paint equally. Do I have to sand it completely until I get rid of the paint? I can imagine myself sanding that much amount it could take hours. Can it be done with any power tool?
GermanGameRoom
Please Continue...

Post by GermanGameRoom »

zumbito wrote:So, for example in the andy door, which has rust and paint equally. Do I have to sand it completely until I get rid of the paint? I can imagine myself sanding that much amount it could take hours. Can it be done with any power tool?
so the doors on the candy cabs are metal, right? (at least the sega ones are)

if so, you only have to sand the rust away, but it wouldn't hurt sanding everything
if you only sand away the rust then you need to check if everything is still level and you don't have any stairs or bumps

you can of course sand it down with any tool that'll do the job - like an orbital sander would be easy to use on the front because it is flat

I would only recommend hand-tools because of security reasons.. I used my dremel tool for the underside of the control panel and hand sanding for the rest (like I said before, I had no rust on the cabinet and the control panel wasn't from this cabinet)

most important thing to notice: wear a gas mask of some sort - can be the cheap thing that Japanese are wearing - because breathing in paint is NO FUN
GAME OVER
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Thanks!