Help identifying (and buying!) unknown connectors

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Help identifying (and buying!) unknown connectors

Post by Chi »

Hello chaps,

I'm looking to pick up one each of these two connectors (I need it for some wiring I must do to my DDR cab), but am not sure what they are called! Just wondering if anyone can help out (and if anyone knows a source for 'em):

Is this an AMP 3-pin Female, perhaps? I know this is for carrying 100VAC (live and neutral) on the board in question.

And this is some kind of molex - perhaps a mini-fit 4-pin male? It's for carrying 5V and ground DC on the PCB.

Does this sound right to y'all...? If so, any idea where I can get the corresponding housings and pins from...?

Ta :D
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Re: Help identifying (and buying!) unknown connectors

Post by Bingo83 »

Take the pics to the parts desk of your local Maplin, they will generally be able to source everything if they dont already have it in stock.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Post by Mayhem »

They look like JST-YL, a smaller but otherwise nearly identical connector to JST-VL (which you should recognize from JVS power wiring).
Once I start I cannot stop myself
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Bingo83 wrote:Take the pics to the parts desk of your local Maplin, they will generally be able to source everything if they dont already have it in stock.
:lol: You must have "Wonder Maplin" near you dude. The staff in each one near me in London are generally idiots, or so it would appear. They don't carry pretty much *any* molex, and certainly won't order stuff in.

I asked them to show me where the ATX power supplies where the other day, and the guy just blinked and said "what's ATX?!" When I explained, his next question was "Is that made by Dell"?. :shock: I eventually found them myself - they had 10 different kinds, so you'd think he know they where in his store!
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

JST-SM and JST-YL

As found on the next gen LCD cabs.
Say hello to my little friend...
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Devil Soundwave wrote:
Bingo83 wrote:Take the pics to the parts desk of your local Maplin, they will generally be able to source everything if they dont already have it in stock.
:lol: You must have "Wonder Maplin" near you dude. The staff in each one near me in London are generally idiots, or so it would appear. They don't carry pretty much *any* molex, and certainly won't order stuff in.

I asked them to show me where the ATX power supplies where the other day, and the guy just blinked and said "what's ATX?!" When I explained, his next question was "Is that made by Dell"?. :shock: I eventually found them myself - they had 10 different kinds, so you'd think he know they where in his store!
There are two local to me, so long as you dont get the Weekend staff they are generally very helpful
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

andygeezer wrote:JST-SM and JST-YL

As found on the next gen LCD cabs.
Ah, makes sense, this is a Konami Python 2 motherboard (A.K.A. Fat PS2+HDD in a box with some I/O wiring), so only about 3 years old, tops. Cheers for that!

I'll try me local Maplins, but don't hold out much hope... however, now I know wtf they are, I can start looking on t'Web (unless anyone here has any lying around they'd like to part with - either the connectors, or even cables I can butcher :P).
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Allo Christian, I saw this thread and I guess that must be t' old supernova 2 board? How much is it complaining to you?

Give me a bell about when you are free this coming week, as my phone has handily erased all data including all my contacts :(

James
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Will do - I'll re-text you me number.

I need to splice a 100V power lead, and a 5V power lead before it will even power up - I've the JST connectors I need on order from RS (the UK one, not the Japanese one!) now, so should be ready to test Tues/Weds, with any luck. I've also emailed Electrocoin about some other parts I may or may not need (the infamous Ext-I/O box to control the lights and stuff, and a replacement marquee holder) to see how much they want to rape me. I've also discovered that the button control panel for the Korean machine is totally different to the EU/JP machines (one piece rather than 2, bit annoying since my new CP is the Japanese style), so am going to modify the cabinet to accept the EU/JP style ones - gawd bless the fact that it is a woody!

Just for fun, here's a shot from inside the Python 2 box (I opened it up for a nose around):

It is literally just a fat PS2+HDD+Network adapter with some other bits to control I/O! I reckon I could even remove the PS2 and play it on it's own (not with SN2, natch - it's got a security dongle).
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Pretty cool :) Have you tried chucking it in the egret II yet?
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Yep, of course! :P

The board won't power on fully without the 100V power into the PS2! The fan spins up, but that is all (to be expected really, seeing as the PS2 is generating the video signal). Means I can do bugger all with it until I receive the connectors so I can make up some leads... I've already wired a 2-point socket into the cab running on 110V, which should be fine for owering up a Japanese PS2 (one plug is for the monitor, so it all powers up from the cab now):
Yeah, I know these are UK plugs, but nonetheless it is a 110V feed :P (I was going to make it a 230V feed, but then I found out I would need 100V for the Python 2, and my monitor is 100-230V auto sensing so...)

But OTOH, this worked nicely:
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

I think I've got a nice small factor Japanese 4-gang extention here if you want it to replace that UK one? I can bring it over this week.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Nah, that's cool, I'll live with the one in their - there's plenty of dead space in this cab, and I've epoxied it in, now so it'll be a bit of a bitch to remove! :P