Which second candy should I buy?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
skydrops
Please Continue...
Which second candy should I buy?

Post by skydrops »

Hi,

Recently I had the idea of buying a second candy cab for playing at home.
Already have a Sega Naomi converted to NNC with Nanao MS2930 tri monitor which I use for Naomi games (31Khz) and some PCBs (15Khz).

I really like these AWSD and E3, because they are easy to find in good conditions, but the fact that they have Weiya chassis makes me worry about their performance while running them at 15Khz.
It's almost impossible for me to find a Toshiba E3.

Would like to get some advice :)
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Re: Which second candy should I buy?

Post by rugdoctor »

ideally the second one will be the same as the first, but with the screen rotated for vertical games. That way the pair will look consistent.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

I'm not sure if the Toshiba PF D29C051 is the Toshi you were mentioning although apparently it's the best monitor so get a Sega New Net City or the cabinet you like and put one of these in.

I had the same question a week or so go as I have an Atomiswave SD. The Wei Ya monitor is fine to me at 31kHZ, and is a pretty flat screen. I haven't had much to compare it to so I wonder if some of the hate is from people that just see it's not a Japanese monitor and haven't used it. That last comment might bring some interesting discussions.

If you want a cabinet for purely playing 15kHZ games why not look at an Egret II? It looks similar to the AWSD and E3, and comes with a 15/24kHZ monitor.
Stompp
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

What rugdoctor said. While I love the NNC with its Tosh tube it just hurt my eyes beside the NAC :shifty: So one of my NNC's moved out yesterday and the second will follow sometime next week. They'll both be replaced by New Astro's :awe:
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

NAC are my personal favourites too. Although I always will have a soft spot for versus city, I miss them.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Stompp wrote:While I love the NNC with its Tosh tube it just hurt my eyes beside the NAC
Hi @Stompp, can you give me some more info on why it hurts your eyes more? I was considering hunting down and trying that tube although after reading your post it doesn't live up to the hype.

@Skydrops, you can also buy Astro City's with Nanao MS9 monitors in them. If you want to see a game running at 15kHZ on an AWSD let me know and I'll take a video for you. I can also put it on my Astro city running a Nanao MS9 as well. What are your thoughts now after reading the posts?
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

lacanian wrote:
Stompp wrote:While I love the NNC with its Tosh tube it just hurt my eyes beside the NAC
Hi @Stompp, can you give me some more info on why it hurts your eyes more? I was considering hunting down and trying that tube although after reading your post it doesn't live up to the hype.

@Skydrops, you can also buy Astro City's with Nanao MS9 monitors in them. If you want to see a game running at 15kHZ on an AWSD let me know and I'll take a video for you. I can also put it on my Astro city running a Nanao MS9 as well. What are your thoughts now after reading the posts?
Oh, the Tosh deffo lives up to the hype :thumbup: :awe: :thumbupright: and there's really nothing wrong with the NNC either. What I have issues with is this:
They both look great on their own but side by side they just don't click (IMHO). The NNC is more upright and way deeper than the NAC. I had a Tosh tube fitted in my previous NAC and that's where I'm going again plus two NAC's with the original MS-9's.
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Post by joeks »

Stompp wrote:What I have issues with is this:
They both look great on their own but side by side they just don't click (IMHO).
Exactly my thoughts. I have about the same setup, Astro City, New Net City and a Blast City.
Right now, my Astro and NNC are next to each other, like this picture. And how much I love them both, I just don't really like them next to each other.
Probably change my row to Astro, Blast and then NNC. That would probably be a bit better.
Else, I might just sell the NNC.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

I was thinking half the fun is owning different cabinets each with their own bit of history and configuration.
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Post by joeks »

lacanian wrote:I was thinking half the fun is owning different cabinets each with their own bit of history and configuration.
THAT is the other part of my dilemma :) Had two Astro's and two NNC at one point, but decided to go for 1 cab of each type.
I do appreciate the cabs more, now I have only one of each type.
But it's just the appearance of them next to each other which makes me doubt to go for a small row of identical machines instead. Oh well, luxury problem.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

lacanian wrote:I was thinking half the fun is owning different cabinets each with their own bit of history and configuration.
I agree and if I had the space I'd totally have a row of each (trust me, it hurts letting go of the NNC's) but as you can see from the pic space is a luxury I don't have :problem: So, I'm opting for a more coherent look with two Astros side by side. Also since the NAC is less deep than the NNC we won't have to squeeze ourselves into the bedroom (not as much as now at least :lol: )
skydrops
Please Continue...

Post by skydrops »

Many thanks for your replies!

I am overwhelmed with all this info :awe: Looking at the difference between them in @Stompp pic, I don't really mind they don't match together or have different monitor view angle.

The only thing I really care about is the monitor quality: if it looks blurry, out of sync, with bad convergence or very low contrast that will kill me (and sell the candy).

Don't really have a space problem since I decided to dedicate the whole room to this hobby :)

@lacanian if you can post a video of AWSD running at 15Khz that would be awesome!
You are right about the Egret II. That would be my best bet, but is very difficult to find a good one right now.

Pros for AWSD / E3:
-Easy to find right now at a decent price
-Good conditions since they are newer than AC, NAC or NNC
-Metal built
-Flat screen (is this a pro?)
-JVS + JAMMA built in
-Lots of room inside even for the 100V stepdown
-And ... Can fit it inside my home just removing the control panel (my doors are 75cm)

Cons:
-Some people state that the monitor is **** at 15Khz
-Isn't a Sega (doesn't really matter for me)
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

It's all in the eye of the beholder, ait? In the end the only thing that matters is your own opinion. If you're aiming for 15 k games I'd personally suggest a NAC or an EII. The MS-9 monitor is the benchmark (again IMHO) to beat :awe: If JVS/JAMMA combined has preference the AWSD is prolly a better option and also with a great monitor. I feel the AWSD has a slightly more saturated and ompfy picture than the NAC/EII. But that's just me 8-)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Don't put cabs right next to each other, problem solved.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

You should get a Capcom Status 25, it will look great beside your NNC since both cabs have a "curved" desing, it is also a cheap and very common cab ......that or a Namco Dynalive :awe:
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

I'll post a video comparing the same game on an AWSD and Astro City.

One question, are there any switches you need to change on AWSD to put in in 15kHz mode?
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Personal opinion, it is almost impossible to judge a monitor by video. I agree that 2 astro's (or 2 nnc's) next to each other looks way better than to mix them!
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

arcnl wrote:Personal opinion, it is almost impossible to judge a monitor by video.
The purpose of the video is to see if the AWSD looks terrible at 15kHz. I think with me having a look and the video we should be able to come to that conclusion.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

OK, If you can tell the difference between the youtube videos you have a good eye.

I have no idea what frequency my Atomiswave SD cabinet is running at. What I noticed is that the resolution definitely looks different. I can tell by looking at the text [insert coin / credit] on both monitors the Astro City is a lot clearer, more bold and easier to read most likely due to operating at 15kHz. The Atomiswave text looks like its just not at the games native resolution a little smaller/streched and not as clear.

Atomiswave SD - SNK vs Capcom SVC Chaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGFGXQXOps"

Astro City - SNK vs Capcom SVC Chaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g77-tvPoeNY"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

If you're bothered by original vs reproduction parts, don't get an EGRET II unless it's in really good shape and you want a 2 player cabinet. I would get a NAC - great monitor, easy enough to find parts for it.