120v too high for 100v cabs?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

120v too high for 100v cabs?

Post by FrancoB »

I need to pick up a second stepdown transformer for use with my E2 and I was searching the forum for info on them when I came across [this] thread of o1s1ns and he mentioned having troubles as his house wiring outputs at a low voltage and the resulting stepped down voltage was too low.

I thought I would measure my mains voltage and it's outputting at around 245v which is obviously pretty high. I've been using a Maplins 230>110v stepdown on my Astro and so I thought I would measure the output on that and it's ~120v :wtf:

Is 120v too high for 100v cabs? I'm not sure what the tolerances are but 20% seems pretty high.

I'm thinking of selling the Maplins one and getting a couple of the Airlink ones as they are 230>100v. If the stepdown works the same then I'll probably get ~110v out but that seems much better than 120v.

On a side note, which Airlink transformer is suitable for a single cab, the 250va one?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: 120v too high for 100v cabs?

Post by cools »

Japan has a +/- 10% tolerance.

You should average your mains over time, it could've just been high at the time and normally sitting around 230v. The Airlink would still be superior. 250va is fine.

Why not get a bunch of custom transformers from them and convert the cabs to UK mains?
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

I converted my blast to 230v mains by putting the transformer in the cab (the blast loom is perfect for this, it has a dedicated plug for a stepdown in the cab). I used a 200va transformer which is tiny but enough as I dont use the PSU of the cab.
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

You can become crazy, as I did, and tailor the transformers to your needs in order to get 100v:

A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

I use a Naomi Uni internal step-down unit in the Versus in the coinbox I would say it's probably one of the most widespread used step-downs out there.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

If you go for Airlink, get the biggest (watts) you can afford. The Maplin ones are fine for most setups but my Vewlix C and TX2 needed more than the 300watts on the Maplin jobby.
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

Subject: 120v too high for 100v cabs?
cools wrote:Japan has a +/- 10% tolerance.

You should average your mains over time, it could've just been high at the time and normally sitting around 230v. The Airlink would still be superior. 250va is fine.

Why not get a bunch of custom transformers from them and convert the cabs to UK mains?
Cheers duder, I'll take a few more readings and see if it changes.

I saw your thread on converting cabs but I'm not sure what advantage getting the E2 changed to 240v would have over just using a stepdown as I would rather not replace the PSU if it's working fine. Is there anything else I'm missing?
ArcadeSTG wrote:You can become crazy, as I did, and tailor the transformers to your needs in order to get 100v:
**** hardcore, I love it! :pointup: :awe:
Pete wrote:I use a Naomi Uni internal step-down unit in the Versus in the coinbox I would say it's probably one of the most widespread used step-downs out there.
That's a very good point Pete. I have at least two or three stepdowns from out of various cabs and I know at least one of the has a 100v output, that should keep me gaming for the time being whilst I keep an eye on the mains output. :thumbupright:
CPS2 wrote:If you go for Airlink, get the biggest (watts) you can afford. The Maplin ones are fine for most setups but my Vewlix C and TX2 needed more than the 300watts on the Maplin jobby.
Thanks Andy. the 500va one is double the output for £10 more so it might be worth going for those.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Dont use 120v on nanao monitors as it strains the components over time.

Naomi stepdown is ideal.
Say hello to my little friend...
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

Good to know Auntie, thanks. It's probably a good thing I've not had time to play my cabs much recently :lol:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

FrancoB wrote:
cools wrote:Japan has a +/- 10% tolerance.

Cheers duder, I'll take a few more readings and see if it changes.

I saw your thread on converting cabs but I'm not sure what advantage getting the E2 changed to 240v would have over just using a stepdown as I would rather not replace the PSU if it's working fine. Is there anything else I'm missing?
No need to replace the PSU in an E2, you wire the stepdown in line with the mains only. I switched out the PSU in the Aero Table (room) and Pony (inadequate power) for other reasons. In these the stepdown was just for the monitor. I do it for the aesthetics and so that I can use the cab power switch rather than having to get at the stepdown to power on/off.
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

Ah gotcha.

I've got all my cabs power controlled by remote control as they can be a pain to get to. Think I'll just stick a stepdown in the base of the E2 and leave it stock. There are some handy notches in the E2 back panel to run the power cable out of :thumbupright:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I object to paying for the standby power those remote switches require :awe:
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

I have one easy access switch that they all connect to and then I power them independently with the remote ;)
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Another point to remember about Naomi step-downs is I have mine powering 2x Nanao monitors at the same time so I guess they have the wattage required.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

They are enormous, Craig told me the wattage before but it's completely slipped my mind. They are pretty heavy duty though. Plus you get a 17v line to run a stereo amp from :awe:
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

They are pretty hefty indeed. :whoopsie:

IIRC there's plenty of room in the E2, the Astro not so much. The Pony is 230v so I'm good there.

Is the wattage labeled on them? I'll have a look tomorrow.

Good point about the 17vAC, that could be handy, I think I still have a Naomi amp or two :think: Although one of the stepdowns I have I have is a bit of an oddity as it doesn't have the 17vAC. It came out of a Sega cab but it must have come from one that didn't use that amplifier.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Probably overkill, but I'm running the big Airlink and 2 of these.

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/japa ... UK-JA3000/"

I can run 8 100v devices at the same time with no worries about overloading anything. :awe:
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

I use an Airlink for my Blast and Astro, can't recommend them highly enough :)
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

I also use the airlinks for my NNC's and they are great :) :thumbupright:
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

+1 on airlinks, have them for my park. Never had any problem running Taito/Wei-ya psus etc.