Modifying coin mechs for tokens?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Modifying coin mechs for tokens?

Post by cools »

I leave my stuff on freeplay and use the cabs as large piggy banks :) The Windy II's mech has been tweaked to accept 20ps, the Lordsvale is on 10p per credit so gets all my 10ps, and the Naomi is for 50p.

There is a coin mech modifying guide here somewhere...
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

srarcade wrote:I know lots of people will think this is stupid
Not at all. My Egret II runs off Y100 coins, and the DDR cab of 50p/£1/£2. That's the way I like it :D
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

we used to do this all the time,if its a s10 type mech there are many adjustments that can be made-also you bend the tabs of the coin cradle to the correct sixe of the new coin/token
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

I've just tried this myself and there are two challenges that you have to overcome!!!

1) to ensure that the coin will go through your coin slot.

2) to ensure that after the coin has successfully passed through the validator that it will also pass the actuator switch and get to the coin box.

I didn't have any spare actuator switches so I decided just to stick with 20p pieces in the end.

It is easier and cheaper just modify the coin slot to take quarters/yen/20p's

HTH
shess
Please Continue...

Post by shess »

Since you're here in the states, quarter mechs will be the most plentiful. Since you're asking about modifying coin mechs, this is likely what you have. The .984 token is the closest in size to the quarter so I'd try and locate some of those. Some mechs are easier to adjust then others. I have some where there's a little metal tab with a screw on it near the coin insertion and with a little unscrewing, the slot can be widened. I have others where you have to file it down and it still doesn't work well. Here's a link to BYOAC where it gives hints on modifying quarter mechs for .984.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=22251.0

Scott
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I got some MAME tokens from http://www.arcadetokens.com and a 984 token mech from ebay - sorted.

you could always use one of those mechs where you fit the coin you want to use inside and it uses that to accept/reject the coins.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

It depends on what kind of coin mech (and inlet) you have, and how you intend to do it. If you have a fixed coin mech (e.g. one that takes only quarters/tokens/Y100 coins), the closer the new coin is to the old the easier it is to adjust!

Many of the sitdown Japanese cabs are problematic as the coin inlet is part of the CP - and thus isn't easy to replace. However, many machines with a front inlet panel can often simply have the coin mech replaced. There exist coin mechs that are fully programmable, as well as comparator ones that you just stick a specimen coin in.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004