Egret 2 Earthing

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Egret 2 Earthing

Post by Andypc »

Just getting ready to put the loom back into my Egret 2 after having it painted. Looking back at the photo's I have taken, I can not see how the earth is connected! The earth from the main power cable to the power board looks like it's not connected to anything.
There is an earth cable from the power board to the back of the cab, but that's it. How should the cab be earthed? Is the monitor earthed on the Egret 2's?
“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab
ArcadeSTG

Re: Egret 2 Earthing

Post by ArcadeSTG »

Look at the next picture, the big grey cable is the main power cable of my EII. Check the smal yellow-green cable, it comes from the main power cable and it goes to the EII chasis.

A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Andypc

Post by Andypc »

Thanks. Would you mind taking a few more pictures. I can only one see earthing cable in the picture attached to the bottom of the cab. Where does the earth cable from the chassis run to and from and where does it connect with the mains earth.
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

The earth cable is attached to the bottom of the cab. This earth cable goes to the third pin of the AC connector of EII. Then the AC connector is plugged into a socket that goes to a transformer. The transformer goes to the main curren of the home.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

That transformer isn't stock.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

cools wrote:That transformer isn't stock.
But how else will you get the voltage down to 100V? I think this is a very neat solution and it looks miles better than the transformer I have in my Astro City installed.

Back on topic: Shouldn't every metal part (CP, feet, coin mech, etc.) have a connection to earth?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Its fine, but it doesn't help someone with a stock E2 wire things as they were originally - there are likely other changes that were done for the transformer to be fitted (changes required for it to be switchable from the E2 power switch)
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

I am affraid I don't understand you cools.

In the pictures the power supply is stock. To the best of my knowledge, all the wiring is stock. The black transformer is obviously not stock but it is something you need to use a japanese cab in europe.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I have done the modification to install an internal stepdown into an E2 controlled by the power switch on the bottom of the cabinet.

You *can* simply slap a transformer in on the mains power line that *isn't* wired to the power switch, and use an external mains switch (in the UK we have switches on the sockets) simply by cutting the mains supply cable and attaching it to the transformer. But if you have wired it to the power switch you need to modify the cabinet wiring to ensure you don't have the monitor powered permanently and all the earthing is correct. It's not a simple "this wire goes here" mod.

If the cabinet with the transformer in has the power switch working correctly then it is wired differently to a stock E2 and it is not safe to simply copy how it looks, you need to be able to work out what should go where yourself.
Andypc

Post by Andypc »

A coulple of people have said that the stock Egret 2's are not properly earthed. There was a screw just to the right of the power supply that looked like it might be the place to attach the mains earth to the body of the cab. I have done that and run two further earth cables from there. One to the base of the power supply and one to the frame if the monitor chassis. Cab all up and running ok.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I'd love to see someone use the drawings in the manual to point out where earth wiring should be optimally placed.

In one of my EGRET IIs, I can feel small currents sometimes when I switch games with power to my stepdown, but the cabinet's power switch turned off. This cabinet does have earth wiring. In my other EGRET II, this has never happened, and it doesn't have any earth wiring. :think:
urbanledge
Please Continue...

Post by urbanledge »

I don't think stock ones are earthed properly.
I'm pretty sure I seen a diagram somewhere of an earth coming out of the wall separately and looped between a line of cabs. That could of been in the blast city manual. Anyway I used to get a good few volts between my e2 and blast city cps
Monstermug
eBay: Monstermug
Initials: SON

Post by Monstermug »

Andypc wrote:A coulple of people have said that the stock Egret 2's are not properly earthed. There was a screw just to the right of the power supply that looked like it might be the place to attach the mains earth to the body of the cab. I have done that and run two further earth cables from there. One to the base of the power supply and one to the frame if the monitor chassis. Cab all up and running ok.
I know you just painted your E2 so you might want to ensure that there is no paint preventing continuity to the earths. IIRC the Frame of the chassis should be automatically connected to the whole frame so only the screw next to the power supply is needed to be earthed.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

urbanledge wrote:I'm pretty sure I seen a diagram somewhere of an earth coming out of the wall separately and looped between a line of cabs.
Ralph was telling me about that. That's why the earth is kept separate. They wire them all to one loop to prevent interference between the cabs (and maybe those little cross-shocks you sometimes get by touching the metal cases of two separate circuits).

Maybe why that's one of the reasons why the West used wood cabinets. We'd have **** up the wiring of metal ones.