Using Plasti-dip / Liquid Wrap on a cab?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Using Plasti-dip / Liquid Wrap on a cab?

Post by bloodhokuto »

Hi All,

I briefly mentioned this in my thread about my cab, but I wondered if any of you guys have ever used plasti-dip / liquid wrap ... on anything.

The product seems to be mainly used for quickly, cheaply and conveniently spraying cars.

The advantages of using this are that there is very little surface prepping needed (you don't really need a primer - just a clean surface it seems). The main advantage though is, if you male chicken it up, it peels right off like a rubber skin.

My cab that I just got is ok looking, but is let down by the yellowed CP surround. Of course, if I take drastic action to rectify the CP colour, it will then clash with the rest of the cab. The answer is, I either leave it be, or paint the while thing.

To paint it proper I will have to completely dismantle it, then prep all the plastic / metal panels, prime them, then layer in the top coats.

At the end of the day, If I had a really expensive cab, I would definitely do that, but as I have a Taiwanese knock off, she'll get a bit of foundation, a smudge of lipstick and a slap on the ****. :awe:

This seems like a really quick and easy way to improve the overall appearance without going to town basically.

So anyone have any thoughts on this?
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Re: Using Plasti-dip / Liquid Wrap on a cab?

Post by baddy »

Don't do it on the control panel, sweat, heat, rubbing ( :awe: ) will kill the paint.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I use plastidip on my RC electrics as a means of waterproofing them. I'll say right away, buying enough of it to paint a cab will be incredibly expensive. It really isn't intended for that sort of purpose, and contrary to what you've been told, non-pourous surfaces do require plastidip's own make of primer, which is also expensive.

It dries very rapidly, as the name implies you apply it by dipping whatever you are covering in the paint. You can brush it on, but it goes on thick, it's very difficult to keep the surface even over a large area, and the brush will harden quickly too.

Another thing to consider is that it shrinks as it cures, so if you don't get it right first time on a cab, you'll probably be starting again from scratch.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Thanks for the feedback, I had seen quite a few videos showing people blowing over their car in the spray stuff, making it look easy.

With that said I have seen a few people using just the cans (rather than a proper spray gun) and the results were horrible.

Here's one of the videos that make it look easy;

Maybe I'll take a rain check on the idea for now.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Poor R8
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I've only ever used the black stuff, but I just cant imagine it would be anything other than horrific on a cab. Painting a cab is one thing, but coating it in rubber... :problem: