Blast City - PSU Dead?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
losersclub
Initials: HOD

Blast City - PSU Dead?

Post by losersclub »

Good evening gents

Disaster has struck, went to flick on the Blast for a credit of SFIIHF earlier and it won't power on, there is nothing there whatsoever when I turn on the power (yes I have made sure that the door lockout switch is depressed correctly!)

I went digging on the internet a bit for possible reasons and then decided to remove the PSU and see if I could see anything visibly wrong with it. Not exactly sure what I should be looking for though, I assume I should take the PSU apart and check fuses?

I did notice that the fan in the PSU was unplugged though :-o which I had no idea about! I know that the previous owner of the Blast had tinkered with the wiring inside to enable it to run on UK mains and to bypass the Sound amp to take sound straight from the Jamma connector. He must have unplugged the fan and not hooked it back up :problem:

I am also now worried that, should the PSU be dead am I actually going to be able to easily (electronics noob) hook up a replacement PSU such as the Riverservice one or are the modifications made to the wiring inside going to make this an absolute pain?

I will take the PSU apart tomorrow I think and post some pics if I can

In the meantime does anyone have any ideas? :oops:

Thanks!
CPS2
Street Fighter

Re: Blast City - PSU Dead?

Post by CPS2 »

Have you checked the pcb door switch is ok?
losersclub

Post by losersclub »

CPS2 wrote:Have you checked the pcb door switch is ok?
Yeah I've checked it was fully depressed 3 times but still no joy unfortunately
losersclub

Post by losersclub »

Got it sorted now, turns out it was simply a blown fuse in the kettle lead I've been using (phew!)

Just to check though, should I open up the PSU and re-attach the fan cable or just leave it unattached like it has been since I got the cab over a year ago? Seems a bit dangerous to me :think: or doesn't it really matter?
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

losersclub wrote:Got it sorted now, turns out it was simply a blown fuse in the kettle lead I've been using (phew!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd laugh more but I've done more or less exactly the same before, checking everything on my old AWSD and panicking only to find it was the fuse in the extension lead :oops:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Phew.

The PSU is dead easy to strip and clean. I'd put the fan back, there's a reason it's there. ;)

I'd see if you can work out what blew the fuse too? Are you using a stepdown etc?
losersclub

Post by losersclub »

CPS2 wrote:Phew.

The PSU is dead easy to strip and clean. I'd put the fan back, there's a reason it's there. ;)

I'd see if you can work out what blew the fuse too? Are you using a stepdown etc?
Yeah that's what I thought, was shocked to see it unplugged when I opened the PSU to be honest.

The cab was rewired by the previous owner (DSD) to run on UK mains without a stepdown, I can only assume that the fan was unplugged then and never plugged back in

I think the issue could be to do with the kettle lead fuses - the one that blew only had a 5A fuse in it, tried it with the one from my gaming PC and the cab worked fine so I replaced the 5A fuse in the original kettle lead with another 5A and it blew again :problem:
So I looked at the fuse in the working kettle lead from my PC and it was a 13A one rather than a 5A one even though the cables are identical. So I put a fresh 13A fuse in the original kettle lead and it works fine now!
losersclub

Post by losersclub »

wonderbanana wrote:
losersclub wrote:Got it sorted now, turns out it was simply a blown fuse in the kettle lead I've been using (phew!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd laugh more but I've done more or less exactly the same before, checking everything on my old AWSD and panicking only to find it was the fuse in the extension lead :oops:
It was certainly brown trouser time last night when it wouldn't power on! :lol: :lol: :oops:
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

So what's the proper value for that fuse? 5A or 13A? If it is 5A and you placed a 13A that fuse won't serve its purpose and you can burn your cab if I understood it right.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Blast has a fuse in the PSU, where it should be. This might different for the UK, but over here, a kettle lead is just that, a lead for a kettle or any other appliance that doesn't necessarily have a fuse of its own. That's why there's one in the lead.

Also, not to backseat moderate, but you're asking the same questions in at least four different threads!
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Yes, I know, cause in all three was unanswered. We don't use kettle leads with fuses here so I thought it was some weird name for a Blast City part. Problem solved :roll: