New AWSD owner, couple of questions...

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

New AWSD owner, couple of questions...

Post by chubsta »

PIcked up an Atomiswave SD today, very happy with it. I want to make it into a Mame cab - i can hear the groans from here :D

So far i have a PC connected up via a J-Pac v1 (no audio slots) and get a great picture so that is all fine. What i need to know is the following -
1. If i get the correct power lead would i be able to plug the pc into the spare socket next to where the monitor power comes out (the pc works fine on my Astro and is wired into the 110V supply inside the cab - i do this so there is only one power plug trailing out which looks much nicer)

2. How can i get audio from the PC to the AW speakers? I cannot do this via the J-Pac as it is an early model so cannot feed it into the jamma connector. I guess however a pcb board would normally send the audio through jamma so it is 'expecting' it?

Any and all advice appreciated as normal :D

Cheers,
chubs
ondafly
eBay: guinaneb
Initials: BFG

Re: New AWSD owner, couple of questions...

Post by ondafly »

ok first off - obligatory Mame groan :awe:

I'm no expert but I do have an AWSD, I previously had my xbox 360 connected to it, but recently its just jamma boards.

Answers to your Qs

1) Off the top of my head, the Japanese dual power socket, should in theory be able to power your PC , however you would need to make sure your PC is set to 100/110v on the PSU. Also I'm not 100% certain, but the PC "might" have an issue with grounding on that Japanese socket - Again someone with better knowledge might know.

I then assume you would send the PSU through a power invertor for use on your domestic 220v ? I guess just make sure the invertor can handle the draw for your Cab and PC ?

2) I did a bit of a dirty hack to give RCA audio inputs through the AWSD wiring. I purchased a 2.1 PC speaker system, snipped the wires off the ends of the 2 speakers, and made a home make plug (using a floppy drive plug) to attach to the F-Connector on the AWSD loom, then from the mono/stereo switch I was able to send Jamma audio or PC audio to the speakers. Please note I wouldn't recommend this setup :oops: , but it worked for me, and also worked the same way on my NAC. Also take a look at FrancoB's cables thread, and I'm pretty sure he has an audio breakout option for the AWSD which would probably be alot nicer.
Last edited by ondafly on March 1st, 2013, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

1) It'll be fine as long as the PSU is set to 110V. The grounds on an E3 are connected okay, so long as the mains lead from the cab has its ground pin, so assuming an AWSD is the same.

2) ondafly describes a sensible method - you need an amplifier, so this works. Try and find a 12V one for neatness of wiring.
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

What no stereo amp as standard :palm:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

No point, both cabs have a bunch of connectors for the different types of PCBs with onboard stereo amps. Makes more sense as an option.

Also safer, means operators don't have to remember to move connectors around inside the cab or risk blowing the amps built into the PSUs, like the Sega ones :D

Can see the merit of both methods ;)
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

Sega cabs built for future mame use :awe:
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Cheers for the replays guys, I do sympathetic mame conversions, in this case it's a vertical cab just for a few old shooters, no cab wiring will be harmed at all!!
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

I wish I had gone mame from the start it would of saved me a **** load of cash and time.

Much happier now with what I have than ever before.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Pete wrote:I wish I had gone mame from the start it would of saved me a **** load of cash and time
Sorry d00d, doesn't work like that!

You start with a MAME woody and before you know it you have 8 Aero City Cabs, an Aero Table and a MAME'd NAOMI :wtf:

:awe:

BTW, nice get chubs ;)

Cheers,

Ralph.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Quite like the AWSD, would happily get another one if anyone fancies selling...
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

chubsta wrote:Quite like the AWSD, would happily get another one if anyone fancies selling...
A nice AWSD is a great cab, mine went to another home yesterday sadly - miss it already :palm:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Quick update to anyone else in the same position...

1. bought a USA 3-Pin to 'kettle' connector which allowed me to connect my PC up using the spare power supply inside - works great!

2. installed one of these http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/arcade-sound ... r-60-p.asp" which allowed me to run sound through the J-pac

and as a real bonus...

3. I was origionally running the video through the J-Pac as you normally do but decided to tidy up the wiring by taking the vga away from the J-Pac and connecting the cabs VGA lead direct into the PC - result!! Scanlines suddenly appear, making the picture a whole lot more authentic!

Loving this cab, great purchase at a great price so very pleased with myself - just need to get another one now :D
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

chubsta wrote: Loving this cab, great purchase at a great price so very pleased with myself - just need to get another one now :D
As above, just sell me one of these... go on, you know you want to...
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

Question for you chubsta, what spec pc can run anything expect M3 stuff ?

Thinking about getting a faster pc than my Core 2 Duo 2ghz to attempt to run the 3d stuff in mame but is it worth it ?
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

dunno really, i am more into the real retro stuff and play stuff like Circus Charlie all day long, I dont play anything that you might think is processor-intensive apart from the cave sh3 stuff.

My limited experience of mame is that it doesnt really matter if you have an 8-core processor etc, mame will only really use the first processor anyway so you might be better with a fast single core machine than some hyper-threaded multi core outfit
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

What's needed for SH3 stuff then ? as I had some frame skip on my current set-up with Death Smiles.
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

Anybody else know this ?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I'm secretly messing around with MAME at the moment, will give it a shot when I get a chance and let you know Pete. So far I've been quite impressed with Groovymame. Not using the mode generation stuff, just running 640x480 with fake scanlines.
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

Running Mame 0.147u4 no nag & SH3 but still find for Cave the older dedicated Cave Mame that came a few years back works better.
j69

Post by j69 »

The AWSD has 2 speaker connections fortunately. Take the spare one on the left of the door at the front, pull the connector off and run the wires to a £10 sound amp off eBay. 30 second job.

No installing pc speakers or butchering current wiring necessary. Made my 360 plug and play in Stereo sound