Sega Rally Championship in Daytona Cabinet

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Jamtex
Please Continue...

Sega Rally Championship in Daytona Cabinet

Post by Jamtex »

I managed to pick up some very cheap (but working) SRC boards from someone who was parting a twin machine out, will the boards work on a Daytona USA twin cabinet without too much work? I would have bought the whole machine but $600 delivery is a lot more then $80 delivery.
A:>
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Re: Sega Rally Championship in Daytona Cabinet

Post by thechop »

Not too easy prob easier that way around than the other but still a fair bit of work involved.
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
Jamtex
Please Continue...

Post by Jamtex »

Any hint with what might need doing? I can't see why the boards shouldn't just plug in.

The Namco System 22 games, it was just a case of unplugging and plugging the board in (with the large number of connectors) and Rave Racer, Ridge Racer and Ace Driver Victory Lap all worked a treat.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Check the schematics of both boards, I am only familiar with the uprights as I have both so I'm not sure how the sitdowns differ but it's the filterboards you need to compare to see how similar they are wired, it is possible with the right know how but feedback and such may be a no no, unless they use the same hardware for that, upright have none so dunno bout that.
kernow wrote:
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Jamtex wrote:Any hint with what might need doing? I can't see why the boards shouldn't just plug in.
When you say that what are you looking at?
kernow wrote:
Jamtex
Please Continue...

Post by Jamtex »

The filter boards, which look identical as far as I can see.
setch
Please Continue...
eBay: setchuk
Initials: ANS

Post by setch »

Hi

Yes it is possible but you must be looking at incorrect pics as the board sets are very different and the filter boards are certainly not the same.

my advise is to get the wiring diagrams and then match everything up, but it certainly isnt a simple job.

The Video connector is about the only thing that is the same.

All power & IO connectors will need to have some sort of an adapter as the pinouts & connectors are different.

Daytona has 3 filter boards, 2 on the side of the cage & 1 on the front.

I can provide more info if required but its a lot to go into if you dont feel up to the task.
WTD: Point Blank 3 PCB
Jamtex
Please Continue...

Post by Jamtex »

I was shown another Daytona USA board, that is why I was confused. *slaps head* Although the force feed back and sound amps look identical to the boards in the Daytona USA Twin.

I will have the complete wiring harness, filter boards / cage, psu and all the PCBs from a Sega Rally twin. So making up an adapter for it shouldn't be too difficult, just as long as I can find the parts to connected them up.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated. :) We have a Daytona USA twin with one of the boards failed, and although I can get it repaired it is going to take longer then we need, so I would like to put the Sega Rally in it's place so we have a twin racing game at least for the opening (plus the fact I love Sega Rally).
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

Threat necromancy blabla, I know...

Anyway, how did your project work out? Got a half Daytona half Rally twin now??
jiggymf
Please Continue...
eBay: dutch_retro
Initials: JIG

Post by jiggymf »

Don't do it.

Been there, done that, and never ever will I do it again.
Although it's both model 2, the wiring is completely different, filter boards are very different, most pcb's are different. Pretty much nothing is plug and play.
The only 'easy' way to do this is if you not only get the Model 2 SR cage, but also the pcb's and the complete wiring. But don't expect an easy plug and play conversion where you can swap SR and Daytona in and out easily to swap them. Making connectors for everything and doing all the wiring right is really a hell of a job.

This all, is not counting in the fact that converting a Daytona to a Sega Rally is blasphemy ^^
STERN Transformers LE Autobot #43, SEGA Afterburner Climax, SEGA Daytona USA Japanese Twin, 2 x SEGA Lindbergh Upright Cabinet VF5/VT3