Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
pumpking
Please Continue...
Initials: ED

what a beginner needs to know

Post by pumpking »

hi

i am really hoping me joining this community is going to be an enjoyable ride

i have read the wiki beginners guide and many topics here but i still have some questions left

what is the best cabinets to get for Classic 15khz games

it seems for games in 15khz

NAC is a solid choice and so is EGRET II - there is also the BLAST CITY but more on that later
nac is easy to fine parts, better build and egret has a rotating mechanisim - but the moniter is the same

this is what i get from the topics i read
am i correct in thinking if you want a 15khz theese 2 are the best ?

is egret ii better then egret 3

The missing link 24khz :awe:

there seems to be not many games in this resolution and both the above mentioned cabs a good to go with theese games

the new era...maybe :eh:

well here i need some clerification
as all classics i know is apparently in 15 kHz and current gen games like sf4 blazblue and what not is in 31khz
but blast city came in 1996 and vewlix in 2007 so there must be "old" games in 31 kHz

does theese "old" 31 kHz games run excellent on a vewlix or is blast city the way to go and vice versa is bazblue on a blast city good
besides blast city are there other contenders to think of

jamma, jvs and mother boards :problem:

i am thinking having jvs and jamma games on two seperate cabs is better then having one cab and making jvs games on jamma cabs playable and vice verca

about the mother boards - are there games on them or do you buy catridges seperately if no where does the catridge go to

the anwser :think:

well here are some of the reasons for my choices and i want to know if they are good or if i need to cut one or more cabinets from the list

NAC and EGRET II
these are the first cabinets i saw and i like how they look the rotation mechanism and how the egret 2 opens looks cool
and nac is just SOLID dont know which part i like but when it comes together it is solidly cool(new Word)
i am thinking if i need both - maybe one horizontal and one vertical?

Blast City
well to be honest this was not on my rader but after reading some threads i included it
i like how its big and different from the other 2 and it also has JVC and 31 kHz but i still dont know if i need that

look wise they all have their charms but what to choose

for that matter can different cabs be connected or do you need 2 same cabs to connect them for 2 player games

i am not going to buy everyting in one go, what i am asking for is if need to cut the list Down permanently

VEWLIX DIA
this is first waaay way ahead , is it necessary if we look for future games ?

thx for the help :D
Last edited by pumpking on November 1st, 2012, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: what a beginner needs to know

Post by SuperPang »

I think your decision may be based on what's available in Denmark.

E2 and NAC are both great cabs, E2 is easier to rotate but if you're getting two, that's not going to be an issue. NAC are generally cheaper.

BC is also a great cab, it will give you by far the best 15Khz picture of any of the tri-syncs. Net/New Net City are also very good. I would always recommend these above AWSD and E3, the Wei Ya monitors and power supplies aren't as good as Nanao, Toshiba etc.

But you only need 31Khz if you want to play Naomi, Atomiswave, Type X or Xbox 360/PS3.

31 Khz games look OK but not great in a Vewlix, Type X2 games look good but not great in a VGA cab like the Blast.

Some games are all in one PCBs, some have separate hardware and software (cartridges etc).

The future arcade releases are mostly going to be download only and you won't be able to buy them. Only buy a Vewlix if you want to play mostly HD games that have a physical release or Xbox 360/PS3.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

EGRET II or NAC are great all round cabinets. If you really want to play 31kHz games, your best bet is getting a downscaler PCB like the UVC and convert 31kHz games to 24kHz or even 15kHz. They will still look nice (24kHz is 384x640 using a UVC) but of course a superb 31kHz screen will be best for high res games. If I ever feel like playing 31kHz games, I'll run them on my Plasma TV instead using a supergun, especially since the best games are horizontal ones (Zero Gunner 2 or Akai Katana). :awe:
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Egret 2's are great cabs, have the rotate mech, 4 pin stereo connector, rotate mech, ect. The downsides are the Jamma loom isnt 100% Jamma, some boards like TMNT in time, Moonwalker, and a few others will boot up and the controls won't work. The other big flaw are parts. Finding E2 parts like PSUs, and panels are very difficult and pricey. If you only have space for one cab, get an Egret II. If you can get more than one, I'd recommend a NAC and a BC.
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

SuperPang wrote:I think your decision may be based on what's available in Denmark.
E2 and NAC are both great cabs, E2 is easier to rotate but if you're getting two, that's not going to be an issue. NAC are generally cheaper.
i dont see many cabs here(if someone knows Places in DK please do tell) i was thinking buying in eu and then have it sent to DK.

after reading your posts i am def. going to buy at least 2 one for 15khz for jamma games and one for 31khz for jvs games.
having only one seems to be a mess you need more part and all the switching between horizontal and vertical and other stuff
SuperPang wrote:E2 and NAC are both great cabs, E2 is easier to rotate but if you're getting two, that's not going to be an issue. NAC are generally cheaper.
BC is also a great cab, it will give you by far the best 15Khz picture of any of the tri-syncs
radiantsvgun wrote:Egret 2's are great cabs, .... If you only have space for one cab, get an Egret II. If you can get more than one, I'd recommend a NAC and a BC.
here is what i am thinking about 15khz part of my post:
what has egret ii and nac over bc beside the Price
SuperPand you mention that bc is the best among tri-synch but how is it against e2 and nac on 15khz
my question was not anwsered about the jamma and jvs, maybe e2 and nac being jamma is a plus point against bc
for now 2 bc seems better if you have the Money, the only thing i can think of is one just wants 2 different looking arcade cabinets

radiantsvgun(and everybody)is not being able to find parts for e2 a big issue, in the case that the e2 is in good condition

so far i still want to use e2 or nac for 15khz gaming between the 2 i will buy what is available(maybe the other later if needed), but i might consider using bc for 15khz gaming too after seing what you Guys post and another one for 31khz games

-----------

hi emphatic

just gogled supergun looks interresting kinda like a vlx arcade stick :awe: but i would rather go for a cabinet since it is a good excuse ;)
SuperPang wrote:But you only need 31Khz if you want to play Naomi, Atomiswave, Type X or Xbox 360/PS3.
thx looked for the boards and the games
so what is the pro´s and con´s between new net city and blast city
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Blast City is JAMMA but with a tri-sync monitor (and JVS power and stereo if you have the right wiring loom) so will play JVS stuff with a SEGA I/O board. New Net City is JVS with a tri-sync flat monitor but will play JAMMA with a simple adapter. The Blast has slightly better 15Khz picture and better audio but they're both very good.

You should buy depending what's on offer and its condition. You can't really go wrong with NAC, E2, BC or NNC for your needs.
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

thx for the help your answers have made made tings clear to me and i hope i havent asked too much obvious questions ;)

but to put the final nails in this case i have 2 questions

does the bc have better worst or equal graphic compared to nac and e2 in 15khz. From what i get the difference is soo small that it does not matter but please answer this definitely

this is a small one but it is good to know
when you want to have a 2 player game like street fighter or ikaruga to be played one 2 cabs seperately(1 player on each) does it matter what kind of cabs it is or do you need 2 of the same cabinets
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Hi pumpking

Not sure what part of Denmark you live in, but the there's a bunch of peeps in both Germany and the Netherlands trading cabs. Check with rklok (http://www.rklok.nl/) for instance. I think he's got one or two NAC's for sale at the moment. I have a NAC myself and I'm very happy with it. Supernice cab to work with and generally very easy to find spares. The downside I see with the NAC is that it's kind of tight of space inside (for instance if you want to run it with a Naomi). The only other cab I have any real experience of is the E2 and it is an awesome cab. The rotation mechanism is soo nice and if I could choose I think I'd opt for the E2. I will probably end up with one or two more NAC's (unless I suddenly happen to cross path with a couple of Egret II's) and a Naomi Universal for them Naomi games :)
when you want to have a 2 player game like street fighter or ikaruga to be played one 2 cabs seperately(1 player on each) does it matter what kind of cabs it is or do you need 2 of the same cabinets
Simple answer: nope. But you do need to be able to hook up the same kind of hardware in both.
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

thx Stompp

it is good to know that there are many placing one can buy from
seems like you are going to end up with many cabinets
what would you say is the benefit of having so many.... or do you just collect them ala pokemon gotta catch em all :P

ps. on some sites they show this beside the cabinet as an extra
"300 watts power. Plug your 110 volts arcade cabinet to your catch sector. INPUT : 240, 220, 200 ou 110 volts. OUTPUT : 110, 240 volts."
http://neo-legend.com/fiche_produit_234 ... 0-%20NA002"

is this power plug neccesary

and there is also a 450 in 1 board this reminds me of clone nes games with 1000 games in one, is that the case?

lastly when looking at nac or e2 they have almost always 6 buttons so do the have the kick harness or do you still need that for playing 4-6 button games

:D :D :D
Last edited by pumpking on November 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

The japanese cabinets run on 100 volt. Hence you need a step down converter in order to be able to plug it in here in Europe (or you need another power supply in the cabinet, but the converter is cheaper).

Jamma only supports 3 buttons, so for games requiring more than that you need additional wiring. This is traditionally called a kickharness given the fact that for Capcom games the additional three buttons were used for kicks :-)

So if you wan't to play e.g. Capcom games make sure that the cabinet is fitted with a kickharness.
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

hi
do we have a list of websites that sell arcade cabinets in eu for now i only know 2

http://neo-legend.com/"
http://www.rklok.nl/"

rklok looks really good and cheaper compared to neo-legend but i wish there would be more Pictures
is this the preferred sites
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Send rklok an email to find out his current stock.
pumpking wrote: does the bc have better worst or equal graphic compared to nac and e2 in 15khz. From what i get the difference is soo small that it does not matter but please answer this definitely
This is very subjective, some people think AWSD monitors are fine for 15Khz, some people hate them. In my opinion...

15KHz Picture Quality:
E2/NAC (Nanao MS9) = 10/10
BC (Nanao MS2930/31) = 8.5/10
NNC (Toshiba PF) = 7/10
AWSD/E3 (Wei Ya) = 5/10

You also need to take the condition of the monitor into consideration. Ask if there's any screen burn and ask for a picture of a dot cross hatch/test grid and look for mis-shapen squares and non straight lines (geometry issues) and the 3 colours coming out of alignment at the corners causing a blurring effect (convergence issue). Bear in mind these monitors have been running for years so will exhibit these things but you want the issues to be as minimal as possible. There is no such thing as a perfect monitor.
Switchblade
Please Continue...
eBay: Topcat256
Initials: SPF

Post by Switchblade »

Hi I am awaiting delivery of a NAC and am looking at buying a PCB board in the meantime. However as I am new within the description it states that you need -5v for the sound make sure you cabinet has this.

can anyone explain or know if my cab compatible and is it pretty straight forward.

many thanks
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

Depends. You'll need to check your PSU.
Here's a list of PSUs that could be in your NAC:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/New_Astro_City_PSUs"

I'm not sure if 0.1A is going to be enough to power the -5v line. What game is it?
Switchblade
Please Continue...
eBay: Topcat256
Initials: SPF

Post by Switchblade »

Double Dragon on eBay there is also a link in the wanted section where I posted it.
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

SuperPang wrote:15KHz Picture Quality:
E2/NAC (Nanao MS9) = 10/10
BC (Nanao MS2930/31) = 8.5/10
NNC (Toshiba PF) = 7/10
AWSD/E3 (Wei Ya) = 5/10
SuperPang thx that was exactly what i was looking for

i think we have pretty much covered what one needs to look for when they want to buy a 15 kHz cab

this is plenty for me :D
but if people are interested i could also ask about non jamma pcb, when it is good to go mame and maybe a list for good 31khz cabs
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

It's never good to go MAME
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

Well there wasnt that much left to be covered so we might as well round this up :D 8-)

Multi cart: i have seen some pcb´s where you get many games in one but they are not official,
the yellow mvs cart 150 in 1 looks official but it is not i presume and beware of bootleg they look like the originals but they are not

Non Jamma pcb: here i mean games from the 80´ies like pacman, donkey kong and frogger. You only
need an adapter to play them on your jamma cab

31 Hz: well there seems to be 3 candidates blast city, Naomi universal and new net city
markedkiller78 wrote:
Blast:
Excellent 15k picture, good 31k

Tosh PF
Good 15k, excellent 31k
Tosh PF=new net city
And new net city seems best but it would be great if someone could do a small con and pro and make a ranking like the one for 15 Hz

And mame...
cools wrote:It's never good to go MAME
pumpking
Please Continue...

Post by pumpking »

Well i decided to do some digging

turns out new net city really is the best 31 Hz and it has a good 15 Hz too.
but you need the ones who have Toshiba pf

if you want one cabinet only and want everything(except hd) get a blast city

here is an old tread discussing this

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13340"

as for hd cabinet vewlix seems to be number 1
here is and old SuperPang post
SuperPang wrote:Can't believe I only just saw this thread :D

Personally, I've always found SEGA cabs to be the best but I absolutely love the Vewlix F. And I don't think anyone who puts their opinion of SFIV or HD gaming in general aside could disagree. Taito did a great job.

The monitor is reference quality (or at least was on release). I've found certain TX2 games don't make the most of it (Samurai Sen looks like **** on any screen) but Blazblue on the F screen is flawless, and that's a word I rarely use when talking about picture quality.

The speakers are as good as I've ever heard on a candy. Up there with the Blast.

And I also happen to think its the best looking HD cab by far. Its generally well built and comfortable to use. It feels like a quality product for the player.

The only thing I can criticise is the use of the crappy Wei-Ya JVS PSU. This would be fine for the L but the F deserves better. In Taito's defence they did stop making these a few years back and it was the obvious choice, but they must know how unreliable they are.
but there is also a cabinet called New delta 32 that has a very easy rotating mechanism
and some people prefer this over vewlix one reason being the Price difference between them
it also looks like sega city control panels will fit on this cab

here is a youtube video about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtFXv2Oiong"
and there seems to also be a stealth version
http://www.rs2006.co.jp/e/deltanew/index.html"

and a tread about hd cabinets
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14713"

the new delta 32 has been in the market for a year or 2 so what kind of opinion do you have when compared 2 a vewlix
Mendel
Please Continue...
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel »

Few questions. Can I connect Net City to a Neo Geo MVS motherboard? (some kind of jvs to jamma adapter maybe?)
I understand that tri sync monitors are better geometry-wise but may not give as good picture in 15kHz
Should I choose Super Neo 29, Net City or New Astro City for Neo Geo MVS gaming?
Seems like Super Neo 29 has better marquee placement options and actually looks more like a neo geo machine but New Astro City perhaps has better monitor than Super Neo 29?
At the moment, I don´t think that I would ever use the cabinet for anything else than Neo Geo as I would prefer to only open it for changing mvs cartridges and that´s it. I would prefer not to break it by attaching jamma wires incorrectly :)
Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club