Blast vs NAC

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
ChuChuFlamingo

Re: Blast vs NAC

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

goatboy wrote:
ChuChuFlamingo wrote:If you do get a blast, I would avoid getting the auto sync chassis ones known for black goops/dying.
FYI. Goop could also happen with MS2930 manual sync monitors and has proven not to be the cause of the chassis dying. Get the auto-sync one, It's awesome. :awe:
Yeah I know but it shouldn't be leaking any of the potting compound at all. If anything, the auto sync chassis have a higher probability to fail as I see a lot of them have died on various forums.
joeks
eBay: barrybuise
Initials: BAJ

Post by joeks »

ChuChuFlamingo wrote:If you do get a blast, I would avoid getting the auto sync chassis ones known for black goops/dying.
The ones without auto-sync chassis have the black goo problem too (like mine).
But the black goo is not proven to be the cause of those monitors dying if I remember correctly.
Makes Arcade Artwork Reproductions at www.arcadeartrepro.com
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

****, it's like deja vu in this thread.
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

Another Blast and NAC have popped up, for some reason the Blast is $450 and the NAC is $550. Both look to be in decent condition.

- The Blast is 110v. Is it possible to convert these to 230v or is the power supply strictly 110v only?

- The control panel on the Blast is 1P. How difficult/expensive is it to source a 2P panel?

- I've never actually played a Blast. Are they similar to an NAC to play on? I'd hate to buy one and not enjoy using it.

- Are the chassis reliable? I understand replacement flybacks are not available. Is there a replacement chassis for these tubes?

- How difficult is it to rotate the monitor in these cabs? Is one easier than the other?
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Read the thread, nothing has changed :awe:

If you want a summary, get the one that's in the best condition. The monitor is the biggest thing. Look for Burn, convergence, clarity issues.

Pay more to get a cab in the best condition possible. It will save you time, money and effort in the long run.

Spares for sega cabs are relatively easy to come by. I Personally have 2 spare 2L12b blast panels and 2 1L6B. I also have 2 spare astro cps.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

markedkiller78 wrote:The monitor is the biggest thing. Look for Burn, convergence, clarity issues.
This.
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

For the sake of anyone else who may need this answered in the future.
Hewitson wrote:- The Blast is 110v. Is it possible to convert these to 230v or is the power supply strictly 110v only?
My Blast PSU says 100v only. It works fine on 120v.
Hewitson wrote:- The control panel on the Blast is 1P. How difficult/expensive is it to source a 2P panel?
Brand new official 1P and 2P panels are still being produced. If you already have sticks and buttons, the bare panels aren't that expensive.
Hewitson wrote:- I've never actually played a Blast. Are they similar to an NAC to play on? I'd hate to buy one and not enjoy using it.
Do you dislike playing on a NAC? I doubt you'll find the Blast feels different.
Hewitson wrote:- Are the chassis reliable? I understand replacement flybacks are not available. Is there a replacement chassis for these tubes?
Wei-ya has a replacement chassis for Blasts.
Hewitson wrote:- How difficult is it to rotate the monitor in these cabs? Is one easier than the other?
Took me all of 5 minutes to rotate the tube on my Blast. I would imagine the NAC to be about the same.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

I personally think as a CAB the Astros are better. I think they look better (although I love the colour scheme of Blast City artwork), they dont seem as big because the marque holder is removable and from my experience, Astros are much easier to take apart.

I think it boils down to a few things

• Looks

• Are you actually using the cab to play 31k games?

• Are spares easy to get where you live.

• Which is the best condition at the time.

Like markedkiller78 said, get the one thats the best condition for the budget you have. Forget about the one you like most if you cant decide, let that be a deciding factor. Plus a good condition cab will always be eaiser to sell in the future.

Both are great cabs and if I wanted a multi res cab I prefer the Blast over a Net City/Naomi and I love Naomis!

Dont listen to anyone who talks about them being poor build quality or no good in 15k mode or monitors failing etc. All these cabs are OLD and you may get problems with any of them. But I love both and either choice you cant go wrong. You never know, once you get one you may find that you want another cab and either would be a great addition to the other.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Blasts are like driving a Fiero. You can buy one cheap enough, but when the problems with it start you'll wish you just got that Civic hatchback instead (NAC). :mrgreen:
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That
Initials: DAF

Post by instant_classic »

tetsujin wrote:I personally think as a CAB the Astros are better. I think they look better (although I love the colour scheme of Blast City artwork), they dont seem as big because the marque holder is removable and from my experience, Astros are much easier to take apart.

I think it boils down to a few things

• Looks

• Are you actually using the cab to play 31k games?

• Are spares easy to get where you live.

• Which is the best condition at the time.

Like markedkiller78 said, get the one thats the best condition for the budget you have. Forget about the one you like most if you cant decide, let that be a deciding factor. Plus a good condition cab will always be eaiser to sell in the future.

Both are great cabs and if I wanted a multi res cab I prefer the Blast over a Net City/Naomi and I love Naomis!

Dont listen to anyone who talks about them being poor build quality or no good in 15k mode or monitors failing etc. All these cabs are OLD and you may get problems with any of them. But I love both and either choice you cant go wrong. You never know, once you get one you may find that you want another cab and either would be a great addition to the other.
Nicely said :thumbup:
Stokers23
Please Continue...
eBay: Jack_Burton99
Initials: CES

Post by Stokers23 »

Hi Guys

Didnt notice this thread, and posted one of my own :( looking for some advice on a new cabinet...

I've been interested in picking up a sit down cab for a while now, probably starting with a multi slot MVS. However I quite like the idea of a project, so I might change that to any other hardware (once I learn how). So the first problem - I need to buy a cab! I've found a site based in the UK that has a stock of Astro City and Blast City cabs for sale. The prices seem about right (based on the wiki), I have my eye on a New Astro City for £645.00.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to just fork out, however i'm worried about getting the thing into my flat :think: I could really use some advice on weather a NAC can be broken down easily to make it more manageable? From what I read the blast city is mich easier to break down - but a bit out of budget. The dimensions for the NAC are listed as 750 x 905 x 1445 mm, which im assuming is LXWXH, in that order. I've measured my door frame(s) yesterday and its about 780mm - so it *should* fit - but if anyone can give me some advice that would be awesome.

Cheers

Charlie.
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That
Initials: DAF

Post by instant_classic »

Hi there,

I assume you are looking to buy from jeff at digitalsystemsdesign??

I recently bought a NAC from him and use it for mvs, jamma etc so you have most bases covered with an astro.

If your door frames are 780mm wide you should get a NAC thru with a few cm to spare, my frames were 745mm and I had to remove the trim from the inside of the door frame :awe:

The nac is easy to take apart, i think there is a guide kicking about here somewhere.

Hope this helps
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

On our wiki, there's a NAC manual.
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_New_Astro_City"

While it's not a step-by-step breakdown guide, it looks pretty simple to take apart based on the manual.
Stokers23
Please Continue...

Post by Stokers23 »

instant_classic wrote:I assume you are looking to buy from jeff at digitalsystemsdesign??
Yeah - seems pretty good so far.

Looks like the NAC will fit (just about) and reading that manual should be easy to take apart if required.

He did mention the Atomiswave SD as an alternative - so i'll do a bit of research on them :)
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

If you an on taking any astro apart that's not been apart for along time (straight from site) then do not use a screw driver to remove screws that hols the two halfs together.

Use a ratchet spanner with philips screwdriver attachment, much easier and mush better grip so less likely to round the screws.

:)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Stokers23
Please Continue...

Post by Stokers23 »

How would you guys rate the Atomiswave SD as an alternative...

There are lots of plus points like it supports 15khz and 25khz games, has a nice tri-sync monitor. However on the down side its a bit more expensive, and is only setup for one controller..
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

There easier to get through door complete compared to an astro as you just remove the control panel housing.

15k jamma games won't look as good on the aw monitor but you an have to option for 31k stuff like Naomi or a Xbox 360.

Aw monitor harder to rotate/remove due to sega cabs have a cage attaching chassis while aw does not so more chance of braking monitor.

If you are not bothered about 31k games get an astro.

:)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Stokers23
Please Continue...

Post by Stokers23 »

NAC ftw!
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

Stokers23 wrote:Atomiswave SD
Stokers23 wrote:has a nice tri-sync monitor
:problem: :think:
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Get an Astro... much nice cab.

Infact, I have a real dislike to the Egret 2/3/Atomiswave style cabs to be honest, so maybe I am not the best to give a fair judgement! :)

If you really want a more 'versitile' cab, look at a Seg Blast City or a Nice Naomi Net City/New Net City with sexy monitor.

Again, both are great cabs imo.

Sego fo life yo! 8-)
LOL Cats... stupid cats