electrically shocked WTF?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Re: electrically shocked WTF?

Post by mufunyo »

The Enigmatic Form wrote:I always thought that electrical devices are automatically earthed through the socket and the plug in Germany. I´ve never heard of anything that has to be earthed manually. :?
Actually, my sound amp (which incidentally has "MADE IN GERMANY" on the back) has a separate earth via a little screw thing that you can connect one of those wires with a washer on it to. I don't have it earthed though, cause that **** can cause nasty buzzing sounds with hi-fi sets.
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

Goddammit, it happened again! No, I haven't properly grounded it yet so this must be the reason why - this time I got a slight zap when I had the top right door open (service door??) to flip the PSU power switch. my ankle touched the inner frame of the door and zzzzap. Okay, it was about time as I now have to take this seriously.

I would like to ask the physics and electro-tech geeks here something:

When I got the first zap from the stepdown, it was a bit weird as this one should be grounded correctly. I am not 100% sure, but I might have touched both at the time - the stepdown and the cab. Now, given that the cab is not grounded correctly, where would I have felt the zap? What I am trying to say (or ask) is - if the zap was initiated from the cab, would I have felt it at the part that touched the cab or does it make sense that I felt the zap from the finger that touched the metal frame of the stepdown? Ahm... do you understand me`*sigh* :? :oops: :cry:
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Ok, after all that electrification have you checked if now you have super powers? :awe:
Vagina
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Yes, I did check and after realizing I have none, I decided to construct a power suit so that I will become like "The Shocker" - a villain from Spider Man who happens to have no real superpowers and being German as well! :awe:
Cadpipe
Please Continue...

Post by Cadpipe »

If you was touching the cab then touched the stepdown you would of earthed through the stepdown and got the shock at the stepdown. Just link an earth off the stepdown or the plug top an you will be fine.Dont link it to the radiator as if that is not earth bonded you will make that live too.

Ps im an electrician so im not bulling. :D
It's all in the reflexes!
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Forgot to post here - I got me some American wires that have the 3rd earth pin in them. Removed the original cord and added this one with earth connected to the cab's earth point. It's fine now ever since. What's getting on my nerves now is the monitor and how to calibrate it properly as the image isn't making me happy at all : /
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Akuma wrote:Forgot to post here - I got me some American wires that have the 3rd earth pin in them. Removed the original cord and added this one with earth connected to the cab's earth point. It's fine now ever since. What's getting on my nerves now is the monitor and how to calibrate it properly as the image isn't making me happy at all : /
Get a PCB in there that has a nice cross hatch and full range colour bars to test with. Leave the monitor on for 15 minutes to warm up. Set the colours, contrast and brightness (black level) first, then fiddle with the geometry.

I have both an advantage and a disadvantage when setting up a monitor - my colourblindness means I find doing the RGB levels pretty damn difficult, usually require some help. But I'm hypersensitive to the white/black balance - I can see a greater range of greys. So I have to set the brightness lower than someone else would to eliminate the scanlines on black.

Steps I go through (on all display devices, LCD, TFT etc) for setting up the brightness correctly...

1) Get a greyscale on the display.
2) Turn contrast and brightness to max.
3) Turn brightness down till black becomes pure black.
4) Turn contrast down so that the brightest white is distinguishable from the very light grey next to it.