Lordsvale MVS joystick replacements

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Lordsvale MVS joystick replacements

Post by chubsta »

I know some people dont have a lot of love for wooden cabs but i love my Lordsvale - its in lovely condition and just the right size for the room, great picture too. The only thing im not really happy about are the joysticks and buttons - the buttons arent too bad but i find the joystick uncomfortable and not half as smooth and responsive as the Sanwas in my other cabs.

I was wondering what other Lordsvale owners use for joysticks and buttons - have you gone for iorigionals or have you upgraded, and if so, how about some pix so i can see what they look like!

here are my origionals...

Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Re: Lordsvale MVS joystick replacements

Post by Bingo83 »

I have a Lordsvale as well and asked on the forum about replacements, they only advice i was given was to replace the micro switches. The 1up joystick is quite bad at finding down and down diagonals which can be a real pain in some games.

If someone can propose a replacement I would be interested as well.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

i changed the microswtiches and although that improved the problem i had a of a difficult diagonal - left upper in my case - the whole thing still feels very spongy compared to my other cabs, so i guess a change of stick will probably be best
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Until recently I had a 6 slot electrocoin woody and I replaced the buttons and sticks with Sanwa as those old sticks and buttons are awful in my opinion. I made up some adaptors out of some offcuts of perspex.

here is a picture of my old cab, it is now in a cafe in Newcastle earning some money for the new owner.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

ive got some new sanwas coming so might stick em in the Lordsvale instead of the other cab and see how i get on with it looks wise - a problem is that the lordsvale has big holes for the joysticks that i dont think the sanwa will cover
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

Happ competition pro or Suzo eurostick 500's are a good replacement if you want to keep the same style, Sanwa bat tops are a good option too but the CP holes might be too large for the washers.

I personally think Japanese balltops dont look right on a woodie.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Thanks penros. Will look into those two.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

I just be given a Lordsvale for Christmas, and it still has the original joysticks and buttons. I'd quite like to replace them if possible, is it a hard thing to do? This is my first Cab so I'm a total newbie to the world of arcade restoration.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

JusticeUK wrote:I just be given a Lordsvale for Christmas, and it still has the original joysticks and buttons. I'd quite like to replace them if possible, is it a hard thing to do? This is my first Cab so I'm a total newbie to the world of arcade restoration.
if they work for gods sake dont replace them! Nothing worse than non-standard cabs, particulrly as the Lordsvale is probably the only woodie that most people here would want to own.

If you do insist on doing it tho, its the easiest thing in the word - just unplug the microswitches (putting a bit of sticky paper on the wires to remind you which one works with which button), and replace the units - difficult to describe but when you look under the control panel you will see what i mean, its a 5 minute job to do the whole lot...
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

chubsta wrote:
JusticeUK wrote:I just be given a Lordsvale for Christmas, and it still has the original joysticks and buttons. I'd quite like to replace them if possible, is it a hard thing to do? This is my first Cab so I'm a total newbie to the world of arcade restoration.
if they work for gods sake dont replace them! Nothing worse than non-standard cabs, particulrly as the Lordsvale is probably the only woodie that most people here would want to own.

If you do insist on doing it tho, its the easiest thing in the word - just unplug the microswitches (putting a bit of sticky paper on the wires to remind you which one works with which button), and replace the units - difficult to describe but when you look under the control panel you will see what i mean, its a 5 minute job to do the whole lot...
They just don't seem to be as responsive as I'd like. I need to get KOF'94 working again to really give the sticks a good test.
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

Did you decide on which stick you were going for?

I think the Eurostick is the most similar, but I heard Sanwa make the best sticks.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

JusticeUK wrote:Did you decide on which stick you were going for?

I think the Eurostick is the most similar, but I heard Sanwa make the best sticks.
ive gone for a couple of generic ebay cheapies as ive been spending too much on cabs at the moment - they should do ok i reckon - im not good enough at games to worry too much about joystick performance
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

chubsta wrote:
JusticeUK wrote:Did you decide on which stick you were going for?

ive gone for a couple of generic ebay cheapies as ive been spending too much on cabs at the moment - they should do ok i reckon - im not good enough at games to worry too much about joystick performance
Can't wait to see how they look
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

So long as they're not X-Gaming (X-Arcade) ones as they are terrible.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

Out of interest, I'm trying to set the cabinet to free play and I'm struggling to find the dip switches on the PCB. Any Ideas?

Also I've heard there is a way to pause games..
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

JusticeUK wrote:Out of interest, I'm trying to set the cabinet to free play and I'm struggling to find the dip switches on the PCB. Any Ideas?

Also I've heard there is a way to pause games..
what pcb do you have? i have a 4-slot and my dip switches are on the right hand side...
JusticeUK
Please Continue...

Post by JusticeUK »

Yeah I have a 4 slot, I think they are there too. I'm gonna have to remove the board to see the switches though. Are there just 1 set of dip switches to look for?

How do the stop mode and free play mode work?