Taking apart a 2-player Sega sitdown and drilling locks

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
anx10us
Taking apart a 2-player Sega sitdown and drilling locks

Post by anx10us »

It looks like I have the opportunity to pick up and old ID twin sitdown, the price seems fair and its working, however I have concerns around how to take the damn thing apart, additionally the keys have 'been lost' :-(

So basically how easy is it to drill the locks ?

Ok, so answered by own question, I do need to remove the locks .. any tips on drilling ?

http://sega-amusements.co.uk/sites/defa ... manual.pdf"

Now I'm worried about the width and length, if you take the side panels off can I reduce the overall width ? according to the manual this is 82cm, my internal doorway is 75cm ...

Thanks

anx10us
kevin2me
eBay: kevin2me2

Re: Taking apart a 2-player Sega sitdown and drilling locks

Post by kevin2me »

Hey buddy

Measure mine there, I had same issue as you, its no bothers, theres no locks bar coin doin and into base,
All you have to do is remove Top Marquee its HUGE and a Metal bracket that holds Coin Door and Test buttons etc,
thats all that needs to be removed, after that your left with 2 halves...

I measure My Sega Rally 1 Twin and each halve is 80cm, if take off one side panel (real easy) = 77cm, take off both 72-73cm MAX.
Note I didnt relize this, u take off both, theres nothing really holding up monitor so have someone with u to keep it balanced, u dont want to neck the chassis.

Any questions just shout :) Kev

Inspiration, go buy them :)
ImageImageImage
11 Cabs Arcade Room: 1 Vewlix, 2 AWSDs, 2 NNC, 1 Astro, 1 Naomi gun cab, 1 Taito Cocktail, Initial D/Outrun2SP and Sega Rally Twin.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

I don't have any particular tips on drilling, but since other members here will have the same cabinet, it might be worth asking around what keys it takes, you should be able to pick some up and save the sega locks :)
all your wiki pages belong to me
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Thanks for the information, as far as I can see the coin mechanism it sandwiched between the 2 halves, there are then bolts going from the inside of the coinbox out into the legs of the 2 cabinets. Unless I'm missing something it looks like i'll have to drill both the coin mech door and the coin bucket door to get access to all 4 bolts.

The other idea I had was to go from the outside in and basically try to drill through the bolts from the outside, destroy them enough to get the 2 sides apart.

My challenge is getting it home as quick as possible, once home I then have as much time as I want to break into the coin box ...

kevin2me
eBay: kevin2me2

Post by kevin2me »

No idea best way to break lock, one my cabs has door ripped clean off due to same issue b4 i got it.
Must be loads threads on best way to pop one of those, prob just drill it out,
be careful wires behind it and service panel i few inches inside the door.

Usually in cabs theres a better method to open from inside, but not on sr1:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... ve#p208671" least

also here:http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... ve#p104710
11 Cabs Arcade Room: 1 Vewlix, 2 AWSDs, 2 NNC, 1 Astro, 1 Naomi gun cab, 1 Taito Cocktail, Initial D/Outrun2SP and Sega Rally Twin.