Repair body cracks

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
crmb
Please Continue...

Repair body cracks

Post by crmb »

I have two cracks on the body of my Blast City :

One on the top right corner of the monitor bezel, the other one under the control panel, on the right (seems to be common).
I can feel the crack from the inside of the cab.
Do you know what can i use (I suspect fiberglass .. ? need to be really resistant) to fix this (from the inside) by myself ?

The cracks haven't worsened in 4 years but this is not reassuring, i would like to reinforce it.

Thanks
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: Repair body cracks

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Milliput putty. Used to fix holes in yachts.

http://www.milliput.com/"

"After setting hard Milliput continues to cure and is fully cured after an elapse of time equal to the setting time at the same temperature. Once fully cured Milliput can be machined, drilled, tapped, turned, filed, sawn, sandpapered and painted. Milliput can be sandpapered and painted immediately it has set. (it is advisable to wear eye protection during this process).

Milliput is an excellent adhesive and will bond any of the following to itself or to any of the others - wood, brick, cement, metals, concrete, plastics, glass etc, but note that Milliput is not intended as a thin layer adhesive and should not be used where a paste, mucilage or thin glue is indicated. Milliput will set under water and is heat resistant up to 130°C."
crmb
Please Continue...

Post by crmb »

Thank you that sound interessing.
I understand i can use it to fill the crack, but can i use it too to reinforce the damaged part from the inside ? Like a large patch.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

crmb wrote:Thank you that sound interessing.
I understand i can use it to fill the crack, but can i use it too to reinforce the damaged part from the inside ? Like a large patch.
If you wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be necessary. If you really want to patch it, then a fibreglass car-repair patch would be better.
crmb
Please Continue...

Post by crmb »

Thank you then i will try the Milliput white

Out of topic but maybe do you know some good glossy white paint stylus to fix some minimal peeling or sratches ?
I don't know if all sega cabs have exactly the same white paint.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Is there a small part you can take off your cab and get it paint matched maybe coin door / pcb door etc. The reason I say this is that over time paint can and does discolour, darken or lighten and with white often yellow so even if you get the exact 'factory' match from when it was new it may look quite different against the aged paint. Obviously this depends on how much your paint has aged also ensure the part you take for paint matching is the same shade as the rest of the cab that you want to match as coin doors etc can also be a very different in colour to the main shell. If that sounds like too much hassle then I'm sure someone will be able to provide an 'off the shelf' alternative
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

crmb wrote:Thank you then i will try the Milliput white

Out of topic but maybe do you know some good glossy white paint stylus to fix some minimal peeling or sratches ?
I don't know if all sega cabs have exactly the same white paint.
You could use gelcoat, I believe the fiberglass parts of these candy cabs are coated in it (same stuff used on yachts). Pretty cool stuff:

crmb
Please Continue...

Post by crmb »

Thank you the gelcoat thing seems a good idea too.
However the white layer on my cab is so thin (you can eventually see black on angular parts) i am a little afraid to ruin everything if i use sandpaper for finish.
But maybe i will try

This is the worst example of damaged/peeling paint :
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

How did you end up repairing the peeling paint on the chassis?