Screen troubles

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
j69

Screen troubles

Post by j69 »

So I had a nice colour screen in my cab last week

Then a fuse blew so I replaced them all

Then when I turned it back on I had a Purple screen for some reason?

Ive checked all the connections, the 5v and 12v lines are fine and the adjusting the pots doesnt help!?

Any Ideas?

This is how the back of the monitor looks

Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Re: Screen troubles

Post by Mellor »

Hey,

Gunblade who was helping you on WPG is Grantspain on here, the main monitor guru.

What happens on this monitor when you turn the blue off entirely? I really don't get why everyhting is purple unless the entire screen needed degaussing. But the main portion of purple is blue I guess so eliminating that might help to see what is going on.

Have you tried disconnecting the degauss cable and then manually trying to degauss. A magnet or whatever in very fast spiral motion?

I seem to have problems with every monitor when you go oldschool!! It makes it all the more fun though!
j69

Post by j69 »

I have unplugged and replugged the degaus coil and nothing changed. How do you turn colours on and off?

Il get my dads electric drill to try and degauss it rather than wave a haridryer over it like a loon! :lol:
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

That's not a degaussing issue.

If you blew a fuse at the time this happened then you may have something ugly going on. Which fuse was it that blew? Was it the monitor's fuse?

Your monitor has red & blue guns working, hence "purple"... but is missing the green gun.

It could be a bad cable, bad solder joint, or other more nefarious things. I'm leaning towards the nefarious things since the fuse blew.

Check the neck board for the color gun driver transistors. You may have a broken solder joint there but I'm leaning towards a blown transistor or open resistor. A bad gun in the tube can do that as well.

If you have someone nearby with a CRT tester/rejuvenator you can narrow that one out quickly.

Also, if someone nearby has an oscilloscope then you can look at the inputs to the monitor to rule out a wiring harness issue... AND you can use it to check the green signal coming from the monitor chassis to the neck board. This would rule out a chassis issue and leave you to checking the driver transistors, their asssociated resistors, and the CRT itself.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
j69

Post by j69 »

I understood the first 2 lines of that :lol:

When I play the coloured version of space invaders the green is still there though?

Im not sure which fuse blew? The Power Supply wasnt getting any power so I replaced the 4 next to it in the picture.

Tbh, I think im going to leave it, the back of the monitor is hard to get into and im scared if i start prodding about it might stop working altogether!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

i can see white,in my opinion that means all the guns are working
so logically if you have not moved any wires or adjusted anything but a fuse blew then the next step is to find what fuse blew,if it was a monitor supply fuse then something shorted dead to earth,for a monitor to blow a fuse but then work afterwards points towards one of two things,either the tube flashed over and has caused untold damage or more likely the ptc component shorted and thus caused an extremely massive gauss of the tube hence the wierd colours

only way to prove this is to get a manual degauss wand and see what happens,also another pointer will be the game board tests for the monitor-it will show what colour is doing what

you can prove colour signal by just disconnecting the particular colour input wire on the signal input plug
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

grantspain wrote:i can see white
Thats what I thought. That does mean that all guns are working. However we are only going by photos so maybe it isn't white and just less purple. I also know from the years (N-G forum) that channelmaniac knows his shizzle. This to me is a bloody weird one though. And i've had my fair share of monitor woes!!

I'd also guess at the tube being knacked as I don't see what "chassis wise" could cause this. But then I am just learning monitor wise.
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

If you have all your colors on the SI board (Red, Green, and Blue) but not on the other board then I'd lean towards a board problem.
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

channelmaniac wrote:If you have all your colors on the SI board (Red, Green, and Blue) but not on the other board then I'd lean towards a board problem.
The board is working perfectly in his other cab so it is a monitor fault od ome description.
j69

Post by j69 »

yeah its definately not the boards.

With the cab being a weird design though its hard to get into the monitor to have a proper dig about, and like i said, im not willing to remove it as knowing my luck, when I put it back in it wont work at all!