New Net City no sound

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
fubarduck
Please Continue...
eBay: fubarduck

New Net City no sound

Post by fubarduck »

So I had one New Net City with no sound on one of the two speakers. In troubleshooting, I tried switching the white and red speaker clamp connectors on the audio amplifier. This caused the amplifier to start smoking when I turned it on. Both fuses blew and the amp of course stopped working.

I had a spare (identical) audio amplifier lying around, so I tried hooking it up but now I get no sound at all. Are both of my speakers blown out, or could my amplifier not be getting power for some other reason? Anyone know what kind of speakers I can get to replace/fit this New Net City?

Thanks!
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: New Net City no sound

Post by grantspain »

swapping speaker connections should not ever cause any problems unless the speaker is dead short,first step is the meter each speaker to see if you have 4/8ohms(not sure what they are on net city)
then you need to meter the wires down to the amp and check against any trapped wires by metering to earth and visual checks
not familiar with the net city cab but if it uses the standard sega naomi amp then it should be 18-0-0-18 ac from the transformer
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

So I tried to operate this cabinet with just no sound, but the condition seems to be getting worse. The colors on the monitor are fading and turning a purple shade on the edges, and the image is "rolling" now. I suspect this all might have something to do with the PSU, any suggestions?
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Doesn't sound so good *no pun*

Check that the amp is getting 17VAC into it, this is a 4pin JST VH connector on the Audio board.

I doubt you'd have blown the speakers, even if the speakers where damaged they'd still omit some noise, it is possible that the volume pot is broken, or you could have done the mistake that many have made and put the wrong 3pin amp connector on the control panel.

There is 3 AMP connectors behind the control panel (where the I/O is), one is for the volume control nob (the others supply +5V!), if you put the +5V on the volume pot you will damage something (normally it is the volume pot, but it could have explained why you took the amp board out as well).

Was this cab a conversion or an original??
Say hello to my little friend...
fubarduck
Please Continue...

Post by fubarduck »

andygeezer wrote:Doesn't sound so good *no pun*

Check that the amp is getting 17VAC into it, this is a 4pin JST VH connector on the Audio board.

I doubt you'd have blown the speakers, even if the speakers where damaged they'd still omit some noise, it is possible that the volume pot is broken, or you could have done the mistake that many have made and put the wrong 3pin amp connector on the control panel.

There is 3 AMP connectors behind the control panel (where the I/O is), one is for the volume control nob (the others supply +5V!), if you put the +5V on the volume pot you will damage something (normally it is the volume pot, but it could have explained why you took the amp board out as well).

Was this cab a conversion or an original??
Original, used from Japan. I didn't change any wiring on the I/O, but I'll check it and make sure that it's wired correctly.

But yeah, at first it was just 1 speaker not working, and after swapping the speaker connections on the amp board, it smoked up and blew all the fuses. Then, tried another amp board, no sound at all. Now, cabinet getting weirder.