Vewlix JAMMA Power supply needs to be adjusted to fix sound

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
_xizor
Please Continue...

Vewlix JAMMA Power supply needs to be adjusted to fix sound

Post by _xizor »

Here is an answer to a question you may never have, but took me a few weeks to figure out. The manuals say nothing about this... in English :)

Some of the JAMMA games in the Vewlix F cabinet tend to have sound problems. I most recently came across this with Death Smiles and some of the other Cave shooters.
The game worked perfectly on other cabs, then in the Vewlix the sound would jump in and out like someone was twisting a volume knob on and off.

There are three red LEDs on the Vewlix JAMMA power supply with an adjustment POT right beside them. If it is solid, life is good. If it is pulsing bright red then it is set too high for the board you are using. If it pulses black (turns off) there is not enough current going to the game. DO NOT ADJUST WITH THE SYSTEM ON. Make note of it, turn the game off, hook up a multimeter and turn the cabinet on (No PCB attached) adjust the POT clockwise for more power, counter clockwise for less. Turn off, hook up board / try again.

The first several boards I tried worked fine, then Death Smiles had the sound problem... of course the boards I were troubleshooting with all had different load requirements so I didn't catch it.
Oddly enough a Naomi 2 with CD requires less power then a new SH3 board. :P
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Re: Vewlix JAMMA Power supply needs to be adjusted to fix sound

Post by Mr-Megalo »

_xizor, with the Wei Ya POS similar problems plague the AWSD's, except it also affects the crt monitor and the cabs lighting aswell on occasion.
replace the PSU with one from a Naomi or a Sanwa JVS jobbie - problem solved.

shame about Taito using the Wei Ya POS, the other PSU's in the cab don't seem to be made by Wei Ya and its so far the only thing i've found that lets them down - even from new
_xizor
Please Continue...

Post by _xizor »

The problem is that without load, it looks fine. (Voltage Ok) Put it under load, voltage actually drops...

Hadn't seen that in other supplies before...
redstallone
eBay: redstallone

Post by redstallone »

I also changed the PSU in my vewlix.

grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

one thing that is very apparent from all forums is that wei ya products are in fact all bloody awful-whether it be monitor or psu

hope they don't ever go in to aviation :lol:
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

_xizor wrote:The problem is that without load, it looks fine. (Voltage Ok) Put it under load, voltage actually drops...

Hadn't seen that in other supplies before...
This is normal, voltage will always be lower with a load and needs to be connected to adjust the output on power supplies.

Plug in your pcb and then power up and measure the voltage on the jamma edge connector, I always set at 5.0 Volts exactly and everything runs fine, cps3, cps2, naomi, mvs cave all revisions etc...