Dismantling a naomi universal - easy?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Dismantling a naomi universal - easy?

Post by chubsta »

As they seem to be a bit of a cheaper option than most cabs im thinking about a naomi universal - how easy are they to dismantle for transport - i have a renault clio hatchback and would prefer to be able to pick one up, take it apart and put it in my car rather than have the hassle and expense of a courier etc.

they kind of look like they should just seperate into monitor, base, and legs, is it really that simple??, and if so what are the approximate dimensions?
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Re: Dismantling a naomi universal - easy?

Post by thechop »

Rule No 1 is making sure you have the correct torx security bits as there are about 4 or five different sizes on the different parts to the cab, leg covers,legs monitor back cover etc.
Then if your lucky none will sheer off as if someone else had had a go at them without the right bit they sheer pretty easily, pretty complex job really if you've not done it before, if i remember rightly there's a thread on sega naomi that'll show you roughly whats involved, i'll try and find it.
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Great guide here, it'll show you the best way to dismantle/reassemble as it needs doing in order.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1291"
kernow wrote:
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

hmm I only encontered 2 sizes of torx screws, but it's an easy job. You might want to take a lot of photos as you go. I did the dismantle and rebuild within a couple of hours moving it from the garage to upstairs. I STRONGLY suggest getting some help with the monitor
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Yeah you could be right , only some of my bolts were a bit worse for wear so i had to keep swapping bits to find the right bite. :cry:And yeah the monitors weigh a ton :o (if your on your own)
kernow wrote:
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

Easy peasy..... I did a tutorial on KC and I can strip one down in < 15 mins. The monitor is a right pain in the arms as on a full sized Naomi your lifting a 29" screen at chest level. You will need a set of Torx bits and a 10mm spanner.

Quick rundown...

01) Open CP, remove 2 screws & 4 Torx that hold the monitor surround inplace
02) Unplug the speaker leads on the front of the screen
03) Remove the 6 Torx that hold the Rear cover for the monitor and remove it
04) Disconnect the VGA lead, Power plug, remote control PCB lead from Chassis right side, check/remove Earth lead attached to chassis left lower mount
05) Remove 4 nuts holding monitor frame to the black rails
06) Undo the 4 bolts holding the CP lower to the legs
07) Disconnect the plugs connecting the i/o board under the CP from cables that run down the legs
08) Remove CP lower & monitor in frame
09) Undo torx holding the side hooks & leg covers on and remove them
10) Remove the 4 torx holding light unit on top of legs, disconnect light wires & earth strap
11) Undo the 7 nuts that hold the leg to the black rails & base & remove leg
12) Repeat for other side
13) Feed cables through holes on legs to seperate them

Done.
Last edited by penrhos on November 29th, 2008, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Fairly easy from start to finish, monitor is not that heavy really (approx 48kg) & on a frame so much less likely to be necked.
thechop wrote:Great guide here, it'll show you the best way to dismantle/reassemble as it needs doing in order.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1291"
;) :D :)
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

I don't weigh much more then 50kg myself.... I can lift a 40kg 2.5m2 bit of glass easily, a 40kg odd CRT is another matter entirely due to the height and size, as well as the differing lifting methods
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

You'll need a Torx-30,a Torx-20 and a #2 Philips screwdrivers. You will also need a socket wrench with a 10mm and an 8mm bit. This will undo pretty much every single screw, nut and bolt on the thing. Be very careful not to sheer the heads off the torx-20 screws as some can be locked in VERY tightly. I use an electric screwdriver set to about medium torque.

The only thing that you have to worry about is re-wiring it after you have finished, but its pretty hard to screw it up as most wires will only fit into their own plug. The only exception is the left hand speaker wire, which is the same size and colour connector as a 12v connector around the control panel I/O.

Oh, also make sure you take off the monitor after taking off the front control panel assembly, and mount it before re-attaching it. It just makes life a LOT easier.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Flazh wrote: Oh, also make sure you take off the monitor after taking off the front control panel assembly, and mount it before re-attaching it. It just makes life a LOT easier.
Yeah. I wish I'd done that, but it never occurred to me until I was about to mount the monitor.
meowki
Please Continue...

Post by meowki »

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question but i am a noob to these types of cab...

I just got a naomi delivered, its currently wedged in my hallway. I need to dismantle it.

I have been reading the guide, I have a torx 20 and 30 bit, but my screws are weird. Every one I can see looks like a torx fitting but has a piece of metal in the cente of the screw head so the bit wont fit in. Whats kind of bit do I need?
Shinny
Please Continue...
eBay: ssDOTshinny

Post by Shinny »

They're a variant of torx screws designed to be more tamper proof called Security TORX. Check here for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

I got a set of bits for about £5 at my local tool store.

As a few other people have said be really careful when unscrewing these as they have a habit of ripping to shreds when you put a driver anywhere near them. I've replaced mine with some allen headed bolts instead.
meowki
Please Continue...

Post by meowki »

yeah thems the fellas. never seen em before, guess i need some new bits :(
meowki
Please Continue...

Post by meowki »

straight to halfords first thing today, buy a security torx set. finally get the thing dismantled and reassembled, open the base to have a peek and find a sealed bag with the right sized allen keys and various other cables... doh! :lol:
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

meowki wrote:straight to halfords first thing today, buy a security torx set. finally get the thing dismantled and reassembled, open the base to have a peek and find a sealed bag with the right sized allen keys and various other cables... doh! :lol:
Brilliant! :D

Dismantling these cabs is a right royal pain in the **** if you ask me.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

Only the first time
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Dandy_Sephy wrote:Only the first time
I've taken 4 to pieces now, which isn't that many in the grand scheme of things, but I totally agree with DS. Like many things in life, with a bit of practice it gets a hell of a lot easier. The monitor is generally the most awkward and I recommend fitting it before attempting to attach the CP lower as that piece of plastic jutting out gets right in the way.
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Ok, so I have a Naomi pulled appart and need to reassemble it. Any idea where to start from?
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19972

Have a read of Paulies thread. I would imagine you couldn't go too far wrong with this ;)