Dismantling a Blast City?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
eBay: nofleabay

Re: Dismantling a Blast City?

Post by 729 »

zumbito wrote:
729 wrote:Resurrecting this thread but...

Does anyone have the ability to re-upload the dismantling pictures via. Imgur for easier access? I don't think people are able to access the photos due to Photobucket implementing that "upgrade" ordeal not too long ago and this information would very be viable. :-?
I am dismantling mine these days and would certainly have good use for the pics, but I've already done it once and it is not the hardest thing to do. At the moment I am pretty stuck with the back screws, and waiting for a pack of JIS drivers for help. When I get them I dont mind taking pics if you need them.
I (and probably others who may refer to this thread in the future) would appreciate the time if you can take pictures on breaking it apart. Explaining the process with text is great, but also having visuals as a supplement would really help tie it all together.

I was planning on getting a BC (first candy) and it's more than likely that I have to dismantle the thing to bring in order to bring it into my apartment. I blame my narrow doorframes.
_(:3」z)_

Thanks in advance.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I just took my Blast to an event and back (and up narrow stairs and through tight door frames), and I can summarise what I've discovered is the easiest way to get it compact enough to transport:

First lift out the monitor. It's by far the heaviest module in the cabinet and you'll need to take it out while there's still structural integrity. Open the control panel with the key and pull the two tabs that stick out through holes left and right of the service buttons and monitor control panel. That loosens the bezel enough that you can pull it off. While you're at it, you might as well take off the control panel entirely as well, it's held with 4 or 6 hex bolts. Unplug all the AMP connectors, including the ones on the monitor frame, and the flat cable that connects the monitor to the monitor adjustment board. Make sure there's no VGA cable connected at the rear of the monitor. Unscrew the four big bolts that hold down the monitor frame, NOT the smaller ones that hold the monitor tube to the frame, and you can lift out the monitor. Get someone to help because it weighs 40kg and the frame has sharp edges.

At the rear, unscrew the power supply by its four outer screws and simply pull it backwards out of the cabinet. Tilt the cabinet forward and unscrew the eight bolts holding the cabinet wheels in place, and remove them. These connect the front and back halves of the cabinet, which we'll leave mostly intact to prevent unnecessary disassembly and reassembly.

Take off the marquee light from the back, leaving the front on. 5 or 6 six screws from the back, and it comes off. I'm sure you're supposed to use a JIS screwdriver, but for me a PH2 worked just fine. The marquee is attached to the cabinet by its power cables (2 pins AC + 1 pin ground), just let them fall down inside the cabinet if they're not held down by cable ties somehow. Lift out the marquee reflector, it's not held down by anything other than gravity.

On the seam holding together the front and back halves there are 4 or 6 screws on each side, unscrew them. The back half should fall backwards into your hands, and you can lean it against a wall, note that it won't stay upright because it's top heavy.

That's it! Now you have a front half that comprises the floor plate, front door, coin box, main front half and marquee glass, and a loose monitor, bezel, control panel, marquee back plate including the marquee light, reflector, power supply, two wheels, and the back half. All of these will fit easily through 75cm door frames and up and down tight stairs.

Hope this helped! Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm not in the mood for disassembling my cabinet right now. :awe:
eBay: nofleabay

Post by 729 »

This is very helpful information (just trying to visualize all of this). So from what I understand you're saying:

The method you follow just tries to minimize removing alot of components/wires inside of the front and back halves aside from removing the major pieces like the monitor, bezel, control panel, and marquee. Then you have the wheels, power supply (from the back), and coin box (from the front) that should be taken out. And finally you have the front and back shells of the cabinet itself (along with a bunch of screws and bolts); so I'm expecting to have at least nine~ different pieces, correct?

I'm guessing the end result would look like to this?

Three more questions :oops:
mufunyo wrote: At the rear, unscrew the power supply by its four outer screws and simply pull it backwards out of the cabinet. Tilt the cabinet forward and unscrew the eight bolts holding the cabinet wheels in place, and remove them. These connect the front and back halves of the cabinet, which we'll leave mostly intact to prevent unnecessary disassembly and reassembly.
1.) For this part, are you saying just keep some (not all) of the bolts just in case you gotta disassemble the cabinet again? If so, I gotcha. I tend to do this with some of my controllers for easier access. :D

2.) Are there any other additional wires I should be aware of that need to be disconnected in order to split the cabinet apart? Did you have to free up wires that were screwed down to the base?

3.) And lastly, discharging CRT, do you typically do this beforehand or do some monitors tend to automatically discharge on their own (from what I've read?)

Thanks for taking the time to explain your method. Just trying to prepare way in advance so I can quickly dismantle it when it comes to moving the damn thing haha.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

729 wrote:The method you follow just tries to minimize removing alot of components/wires inside of the front and back halves aside from removing the major pieces like the monitor, bezel, control panel, and marquee.
Correct. Just minimal disassembly to split the halves, leaving as much still screwed/bolted together as possible.
729 wrote:I'm expecting to have at least nine~ different pieces, correct?
I was afraid the way I listed the parts would be a bit confusing. In fact you'll be left with seven parts:
1. The control panel
2. The monitor
3. The monitor bezel
4. The front half (including the floor plate, front door, coin box, and marquee glass)
5. The back half
6. The marquee back cover (including the marquee light)
7. The power supply
729 wrote:I'm guessing the end result would look like to this?
Correct.
729 wrote:For this part, are you saying just keep some (not all) of the bolts just in case you gotta disassemble the cabinet again?
No, I just meant that the way we're going about this whole thing is keeping as much in place as possible. Do keep all the screws and bolts (and put them back in when reassembling), the cabinet is rickety enough with all of them in as it is, I wouldn't suggest leaving anything out (it's fibre glass and plastic mostly).
729 wrote:Did you have to free up wires that were screwed down to the base?
The main JAMMA loom, speaker cables, etc are screwed down to the floor plate. Since we are leaving the front half screwed to the floor plate and transporting it as one single unit, you don't have to worry about them. The power supply uses a friction fit sliding mechanism with a card edge connecting it to the wiring on the floor plate.
729 wrote:And lastly, discharging CRT, do you typically do this beforehand or do some monitors tend to automatically discharge on their own (from what I've read?)
You don't need to discharge the CRT, because you won't be touching the chassis. Just handle the monitor by its frame and you will be safe. You only need to discharge the monitor if you need to service the monitor (and I recommend leaving that to an expert - these Nanao monitors are delicate and rare).
729 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain your method. Just trying to prepare way in advance so I can quickly dismantle it when it comes to moving the damn thing haha.
Good luck with that!
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

OKAY beginning the Phot$ucket multi-post re-post of Cageman's original post found here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 49#p194650

" [Begin re-post]
Cageman Ok.. very picture-heavy post here. Let me know if I should reformat/change this.

To start, a picture of the important screws, bolts and nuts that hold everything together. I can go all technical (stating "m4x20", etc), but I think this makes it quite clear. I will be referring to these screws/bolts/nuts using the designated letter in between brackets; e.g. '(A)'
nutsbolts.JPG

First, remove the Power supply by removing the 4 bolts (H). The PSU can be pulled straight out. It uses a connector inside the cab, which is a neat feature, imo.

Open up the CP, and pull on the two black tabs on the left and right to release the black monitor bezel:
dscf0562a.JPG
The bezel will probably pop loose, and can be removed by pulling it towards you. On the top, it is held by two metal lips, so just pull the bezel free of the cab at the bottom, and then it'll just drop out.

Disconnect all wires connecting the monitor. On my Nanao MS2930, these are visible on the front of the monitor frame:
dscf0569r.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Next, remove the top half of the CP by disconnecting the wires and removing the screws (D) holding the CP hinge to the lower part of the CP. WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE LOWER CP PART AT THIS TIME! It also holds the lower monitor support bracket in place!
dscf0575.JPG
Next, remove the marquee holder and marquee. It is held by two bolts (B) at the top. Disconnect the wiring from the lighting fixture (on the left side. One is the ground/earth wire, the other is power).
dscf0576d.JPG
Stand behind the cab, and remove the metal monitor access panel (held by two bolts (C)) and the metal panel holding the lighting fixture (held by 7 screws ((A)).
dscf0559dr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Now on to removing the doors :-).. The biggest one is easy, so two left ;-):

Remove the coin box door by opening the door and removing the two screws (J). Remove the door by holding it halfway open and, when standing in front of the cab, pulling it to the left. It is slotted in the cab on the right side.
dscf0568z.JPG
Remove the coin door surround by removing the 6 screws (J). It will come straight out.
dscf0566s.JPG
Remove the door holding the coin acceptor by disconnecting the coin switch and earth wire, and removing the 3 screws (A) holding the door to the cab.
dscf0540x.JPG
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Put the cab on it's back, monitor facing up:

Remove the four nuts and washers (O) at each corner
dscf0558o.JPG
Now, get yourself a buddy (or squeeze a can of spinach open with one bare hand and swallow it in one big gulp :lol:), and lift the monitor out of the cab. Tip: since you will have removed the marquee holder and metal plate, you can actually stand IN the marquee area, making monitor removal (and installation) somewhat easier when you are doing this by yourself.

Turn the cab over, belly down:
dscf0546q.JPG
remove all screws (E) holding the back half of the cab to both the front half and to the bottom. Beware: there are also 3 screws at the bottom of the coin box area:
dscf0555g.JPG
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Remove both wheels, held by 4 bolts and washers (G) each:
dscf0542.JPG

The back half of the cab can now be lifted straight up with little to no resistance. If you feel any resistance, check if you really have removed all screws.

Put the cab in its normal, vertical position. It should now look similar to this:
dscf0535b.JPG
Disconnect and remove both speakers, held by 4 screws (A):
dscf0529c.JPG
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Remove the metal bracket (to which the 'bottom' of the marquee area is attached) by removing two screws (A) at the top, and two bolts (C) at the back.
dscf0552f.JPG
loosen the PSU connector and ground wires, held by 3 bolts (M)
dscf0526l.JPG
Unscrew the connection PCB from the cab (you can keep everything connected if you like), held by 4 bolts (K)
dscf0532c.JPG
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

Remove the lower half of the CP by removing the 6 bolts (F), and two screws (missing on first picture. It is right next to the coin slot on the picture below. There is another on the left side as well):
dscf0524.JPG
Now, remove the lower monitor support bracket by removing the two screws (A) on the left and right side. You may have to pull a little to free it.
dscf0531.JPG
The end is in sight.. ;-)

Remove three bolts (M) at the bottom front of the cab (these secure the kick plate):
dscf0525vv.JPG
Once these screws are removed, the kick plate can be pulled straight towards you when sitting in front of the cab to remove it.

Now, get the cab on its belly again, and remove the bottom from the front half, again held by screws (E)

That's it! One Blast City in bits and pieces :-)
" [End re-post]

END of the Phot$ucket multi-post re-post of Cageman's original post found here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 49#p194650