Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
imaji
Please Continue...
eBay: Lazeer
Initials: JMM

Dismantling a Blast City?

Post by imaji »

Hi Guys,

As my quest for a Capcom Mini Cute looks fruitless, I'm thinking of getting a Blast City.

Now to get it to the appropriate room I'm probably going to need to dismantle it as I did with the Naomi that just left. Has anyone done this? Is it complicated?

I've found a PDF manual for it, and it looks like the main cab splits into 2 parts? Is that right?

Cheers,
John
Cageman
Please Continue...
eBay: Cageman007

Re: Dismantling a Blast City?

Post by Cageman »

Yes. Disassembling a Blast is quite easy. The front and back parts come apart (held by screws). The bottom plate can also be removed.

My Blast is currently completely taken apart for refurbishing :-)

I can post some pics, but only have a phone cam at hand currently..
Munchies
Please Continue...
eBay: Frenzia
Initials: MIB

Post by Munchies »

imaji wrote:Hi Guys,

As my quest for a Capcom Mini Cute looks fruitless, I'm thinking of getting a Blast City.

Now to get it to the appropriate room I'm probably going to need to dismantle it as I did with the Naomi that just left. Has anyone done this? Is it complicated?

I've found a PDF manual for it, and it looks like the main cab splits into 2 parts? Is that right?

Cheers,
John
Rklok on here has a couple of mini cutes :D
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Munchies wrote:
Rklok on here has a couple of mini cutes :D
He doesn't. I asked as soon as those pics were posted & they were all spoken for. I think they were sold well in advance of them arriving.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Check out the wiki for cab info / manuals: Page 86 http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/6/65 ... ishing.pdf"
hedorah
Please Continue...

Post by hedorah »

Cageman wrote:Yes. Disassembling a Blast is quite easy. The front and back parts come apart (held by screws). The bottom plate can also be removed.

My Blast is currently completely taken apart for refurbishing :-)

I can post some pics, but only have a phone cam at hand currently..

Please do if you can, I plan on dismantling my blast soon for a complete refurb as well. Any tips or tricks, or lessons learned along the way would be really helpful.
Cageman
Please Continue...

Post by Cageman »

hedorah wrote:Please do if you can, I plan on dismantling my blast soon for a complete refurb as well. Any tips or tricks, or lessons learned along the way would be really helpful.
If you do not mind waiting a few days, I can post a tutorial (with pics) of the entire process. I have just started assembling the Blast again, so I'll just post all pictures and explanation in reverse order ;-)
hedorah
Please Continue...

Post by hedorah »

That would be awesome, thank you.
imaji
Please Continue...
eBay: Lazeer
Initials: JMM

Post by imaji »

Yup, a tutorial would be rocking :)

I'd already asked Ronnie about the Cute's when I started looking for a cab again. He how, maybe next time :)
Cageman
Please Continue...

Post by Cageman »

I got quite a few requests for a tutorial. Coming up somewhere next week.. 8-)
Andrrreas

Post by Andrrreas »

Perfect!
Cageman
Please Continue...

Post by Cageman »

Ok.. very picture-heavy post here. Let me know if I should reformat/change this.

To start, a picture of the important screws, bolts and nuts that hold everything together. I can go all technical (stating "m4x20", etc), but I think this makes it quite clear. I will be referring to these screws/bolts/nuts using the designated letter in between brackets; e.g. '(A)'

First, remove the Power supply by removing the 4 bolts (H). The PSU can be pulled straight out. It uses a connector inside the cab, which is a neat feature, imo.

Open up the CP, and pull on the two black tabs on the left and right to release the black monitor bezel:

The bezel will probably pop loose, and can be removed by pulling it towards you. On the top, it is held by two metal lips, so just pull the bezel free of the cab at the bottom, and then it'll just drop out.

Disconnect all wires connecting the monitor. On my Nanao MS2930, these are visible on the front of the monitor frame:

Next, remove the top half of the CP by disconnecting the wires and removing the screws (D) holding the CP hinge to the lower part of the CP. WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE LOWER CP PART AT THIS TIME! It also holds the lower monitor support bracket in place!

Next, remove the marquee holder and marquee. It is held by two bolts (B) at the top. Disconnect the wiring from the lighting fixture (on the left side. One is the ground/earth wire, the other is power).

Stand behind the cab, and remove the metal monitor access panel (held by two bolts (C)) and the metal panel holding the lighting fixture (held by 7 screws ((A)).

Now on to removing the doors :-).. The biggest one is easy, so two left ;-):

Remove the coin box door by opening the door and removing the two screws (J). Remove the door by holding it halfway open and, when standing in front of the cab, pulling it to the left. It is slotted in the cab on the right side.

Remove the coin door surround by removing the 6 screws (J). It will come straight out.

Remove the door holding the coin acceptor by disconnecting the coin switch and earth wire, and removing the 3 screws (A) holding the door to the cab.

Put the cab on it's back, monitor facing up:

Remove the four nuts and washers (O) at each corner

Now, get yourself a buddy (or squeeze a can of spinach open with one bare hand and swallow it in one big gulp :lol:), and lift the monitor out of the cab. Tip: since you will have removed the marquee holder and metal plate, you can actually stand IN the marquee area, making monitor removal (and installation) somewhat easier when you are doing this by yourself.

Turn the cab over, belly down:

remove all screws (E) holding the back half of the cab to both the front half and to the bottom. Beware: there are also 3 screws at the bottom of the coin box area:

Remove both wheels, held by 4 bolts and washers (G) each:

The back half of the cab can now be lifted straight up with little to no resistance. If you feel any resistance, check if you really have removed all screws.

Put the cab in its normal, vertical position. It should now look similar to this:

Disconnect and remove both speakers, held by 4 screws (A):

Remove the metal bracket (to which the 'bottom' of the marquee area is attached) by removing two screws (A) at the top, and two bolts (C) at the back.

loosen the PSU connector and ground wires, held by 3 bolts (M)

Unscrew the connection PCB from the cab (you can keep everything connected if you like), held by 4 bolts (K)

Remove the lower half of the CP by removing the 6 bolts (F), and two screws (missing on first picture. It is right next to the coin slot on the picture below. There is another on the left side as well):

Now, remove the lower monitor support bracket by removing the two screws (A) on the left and right side. You may have to pull a little to free it.

The end is in sight.. ;-)

Remove three bolts (M) at the bottom front of the cab (these secure the kick plate):

Once these screws are removed, the kick plate can be pulled straight towards you when sitting in front of the cab to remove it.

Now, get the cab on its belly again, and remove the bottom from the front half, again held by screws (E)

That's it! One Blast City in bits and pieces :-)
hedorah
Please Continue...

Post by hedorah »

Awesome!! :awe:

Thanks so much for this, this will save me a ton of headache.

This should go up on the wiki
Andrrreas

Post by Andrrreas »

Great job! thanks!
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

This needs to go on the wiki :)
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

This is excellent! Quite a fresh looking Blast that is too. :awe: Great job Arjan!
Cageman
Please Continue...

Post by Cageman »

goatboy wrote:This is excellent! Quite a fresh looking Blast that is too. :awe: Great job Arjan!
Thanks, Henk! :-)

The pictures are all taken during assembly of the cab, which has been recently painted. It is now even equipped with a brand new coin slot entry and decal ;-)!
gumdrops

Post by gumdrops »

The toughest part for me was getting the screws off that were holding the body halves together without stripping the screws. I used a special order impact drill and it was still a pain.
Andrrreas

Post by Andrrreas »

Im in the middle of mounting the bracket that holds the monitor, the lower part on the inside that fits together with the panel. Could anyone take a picture of what type of screw that is correct for this part? It is 2 screws.
HyperBolt
Please Continue...
eBay: rv9289

Post by HyperBolt »

So there's no way at all to remove the control panel base without removing the monitor?

Such a shame, it would've made moving the blast city through doorways much easier.