Repairing crack in New Astro City and/or What is it made of?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Tiktaalik
Please Continue...
Repairing crack in New Astro City and/or What is it made of?

Post by Tiktaalik »

There's a small crack in my New Astro City cab that I really should repair. I'd imagine that I need to use some sort of epoxy. I was going to go down to the hardware store and ask about what I should buy but I figured they'd likely ask me what sort of material the cabinet is made of and I'm not really sure. Is it some sort of plastic or is it fibreglass? Or does it not even matter and whatever epoxy I should use will work well with anything?
ookitarepanda
eBay: ookitarepanda
Initials: OTP

Re: Repairing crack in New Astro City and/or What is it made

Post by ookitarepanda »

I have a similar crack in mine. Back when I got the cab I did a repair on the cab using an epoxy to fill it up and it held it together for about a year, and now the crack is showing up again. The best advice I would have - though I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it - is to get a metal brace on the inside and paint over it. Where is the crack on yours?
Andrrreas

Post by Andrrreas »

Correct me if im wrong, isnt it thin wood with a thick white gelcoat? The same teqnique used on boats.

If your not a handy person i think you should leave it to a paintshop instead, not so expensive if you find the right company.
Tiktaalik
Please Continue...

Post by Tiktaalik »

Andrrreas wrote:Correct me if im wrong, isnt it thin wood with a thick white gelcoat? The same teqnique used on boats.
Yeah I have no idea. I looked through the entire New Astro City manual but didn't see any note of what it was made of.
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 72#p108172"

Let me know if you find something to fix the crack...
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Aren't the non-metal panels just gelcoated fibreglass?

Should be able to use any old fibreglass patch kit...
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

kazuo wrote:Aren't the non-metal panels just gelcoated fibreglass?

Should be able to use any old fibreglass patch kit...
Bodyparts are made of Pentam - if I knew what to use on it, I'd love to give it a try. The speaker surround (only the insert that yellows) and the CP surround are made of standard ABS plastic.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

I've bought two different fillers. One normal fiberglas epoxy filler and one called "Marine Epoxy" that might be stronger.
I'm gonna do some test when the temperature climbs up from the basement, it was -23 'C this morning.
Up the Irons!
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

jesus.

that can't be good for the cabs surely?
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

:lol: No no no, the cab is not out in the cold. :palm: :awe:
The epoxy is smelly stuff and I'd like to be out on the balcony when messing about with it. :D
Up the Irons!
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

The finish is gelcoat. They sell gelcoat repair kits at boat stores. I've been tempted to do some minor repairs on mine, but haven't put forth the effort yet.
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

jepjepjep wrote:The finish is gelcoat. They sell gelcoat repair kits at boat stores. I've been tempted to do some minor repairs on mine, but haven't put forth the effort yet.
Just Wikipedia'ed "Gelcoat" and have to say that is a VERY important and good info from you, thanks. I had my Astro painted and the paint chips around the holes of the screws at the bottom. Not really visible though I HATE it. I will see if I can find someone who does Gelcoating for the next Astro restoration.
syntax_X
Please Continue...

Post by syntax_X »

What i did for my megalo2(which is made of close to the same stuff)
I sanded the inside, hit it with some resin then put a few layers of fiberglass webbing on(about 5-10 mins wait between coats. This will strengthen up the inside and stop the crack from reopening. If you can get a strap around the astro to hold the crack together while you do this it would be a better job.
Then i recommend a car type fiberglass reinforced putty filler. You can get a stronger one that has steel in it but its not necessary.

You may want to use a light aerosol can based filler at the end to fill any really small gaps.
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Re: Repairing crack in New Astro City and/or What is it made of?

Post by zumbito »

Sorry to recover this old thread, but trying to research about Astro Cities and how to bring them back to life. Did you manage to fix the crack?
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

hey @zumbito

My father in law fixed mine with using fibreglass (which involves using resin) about a year ago. Im not 100% certain on every detail of the process, maybe youtube tutorials can help? I do remember him reinforcing the behind side

Some pics
CrackedBase.jpg
Crackedbaserepair.jpg
CrackedBaseRepaired.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

mrjamma wrote:hey @zumbito

My father in law fixed mine with using fibreglass (which involves using resin) about a year ago. Im not 100% certain on every detail of the process, maybe youtube tutorials can help? I do remember him reinforcing the behind side.
Damn, that looks amazing! What did he do to cover the crack from the outside? Can't even see it. Is it repainted?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Probably just some filler and then paint over. I would like to see what it looks like inside, because obviously something's keeping it together.
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

zumbito wrote:

My father in law fixed mine with using fibreglass (which involves using resin) about a year ago. Im not 100% certain on every detail of the process, maybe youtube tutorials can help? I do remember him reinforcing the behind side.
Damn, that looks amazing! What did he do to cover the crack from the outside? Can't even see it. Is it repainted?
Hes a retired panel beater/painter, so Ill ask him when I see him next (hoping he remembers as it was a year ago)

He did repaint that area and blended it once the repair was complete
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

mrjamma wrote:
zumbito wrote:

Hes a retired panel beater/painter, so Ill ask him when I see him next (hoping he remembers as it was a year ago)

He did repaint that area and blended it once the repair was complete
Thanks! Could you take a pic of the inside as Nem said? If he can tell you what shade of white he used, it would be awesome.
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

Hey sorry for the delayed response.

Ill get a picture when im at home.

Regarding the colour - was matched at the time (custom mixed, not off the shelf) with automotive paint. Unfortunately couldnt recall the code for at least the base used.

The repair was done with fibreglass + resin on both front and back of the damaged area. He also put a small thin piece of steel which he fibreglassed (hidden underneath) into the rear for reinforcement. Then was sanded, primed, painted