Help with my cab (xbox or ps3 setup)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Dazza7447
Please Continue...

Help with my cab (xbox or ps3 setup)

Post by Dazza7447 »

ok so im new to arcade cabs and modding ect.

but i have got my hands on a arcade cab, and its setup running mame using a J-pac and original jamma connections,

but i was wondering if theres any chance of getting a adapter so the control panel works for xbox 360 or ps3? or is there anything i can do besides a pad hack?

heres some pics of the setup

any help is greatly appreciated, im dieing to get this setup because i brought the cab for 3s (hopefully ill pick up a original soon) but would be sweet to get it working.

thanks
Dazza
pogfanatic
Please Continue...
Initials: SIK

Re: Help with my cab (xbox or ps3 setup)

Post by pogfanatic »

If im not mistaken you can use a ps2 time master thing with a normal jamma cab with a ps3. I seen a co-worker at an old job run a cab like that but i'm not sure if that all he did. I think he used one of those pelican controller converter things and used the scart/rgb output setting on the ps3.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

pogfanatic
Please Continue...

Post by pogfanatic »

And if your in the states you can check out http://www.lizardlick.com/ maybe faster for shipping then akihabarashop.
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

Hey what is the easiest way to get the PS2 or PS3 hooked up to a 15Khz monitor? I've seen the converter from Ultimarc but I've read a couple posts where people say the quality isn't great. Its my understanding you could not just output the PS2 in RGB mode since there's a sync issue? I'm pretty new to this stuff and I didn't want to make a new thread so I am posting here.
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

Viletim's console to Jamma new commercially produced board is out in a week or so - the first one got fantastic reports from all those who bought one (unlike the Ultimarc) - not cheap though:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=480
pre_photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max. Looking for Neo Geo MVS: ****Pulstar****, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Twinkle Star Sprites
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

Ah yes, I had seen that thread. How much did the last revision cost? All it requires is an SCART cable for the specific console right? That looks like the route I'll probably need to go but I was wondering if there were other options and it looks like there isn't, aside from DIY.

Edit: Anyone used this one? http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php ... cts_id=922"
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

It is expensive (£70+) but the reports on there suggest it works beautifully well with any console giving a superb pic - I preferred the first and cheaper/simpler model though and wish I could have got one. For any console all you should need is a RBG Scart lead and a hacked pad/or PS2 pad and converters.

One thing is it only has a mono amp - so if you bypass this and just use the cab's stereo amp (if you have one) then really all the money is going on the sync circuit thingy - the rest of it is easy to replicate with a simple Jamma fingerboard to Scart socket, audio outs and terminal block for pad hacks.
Max. Looking for Neo Geo MVS: ****Pulstar****, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Twinkle Star Sprites
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

What I would most likely do is use Toodles' Cthulu boards for the inputs since you can use them with a bunch of type of consoles now as well as PC. I already have a Naomi amp in my cab so all I really need is a way to convert the video from a console to the 15khz signal in the monitor.
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

bitkid wrote:...so all I really need is a way to convert the video from a console to the 15khz signal in the monitor.

Me too. :)

This was the first model:
vile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

pogfanatic wrote:And if your in the states you can check out http://www.lizardlick.com/ maybe faster for shipping then akihabarashop.
I linked to a specific product @ akihabarashop not available at lizardlick. So please look at what I suggested first.
pogfanatic
Please Continue...

Post by pogfanatic »

Ok maybe im looking at that link wrong but looks like one of those Toodles Cthulhu boards for PC/PS3 but not made by Toodles or whoever. I'm sorry either way and will refrain from posting **** without looking allot closer at it or assuming its similar.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

pogfanatic wrote:Ok maybe im looking at that link wrong but looks like one of those Toodles Cthulhu boards for PC/PS3 but not made by Toodles or whoever. I'm sorry either way and will refrain from posting **** without looking allot closer at it or assuming its similar.
It has built in functionality for XBox 360 without the need to hack a pad, as well as PC and PS3 compatibility. To my knowledge, Toodles haven't yet made a board with 360 as well, but I could be mistaken. The only other PCB that does all three systems are that Korean PCB that's all the rage @ srk forums. This is smaller though and much easier to work with.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Just stick to a TV & a big joystick with consoles. Cabs should have arcade PCB's in 'em. ;)
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

CPS2 wrote:Just stick to a TV & a big joystick with consoles. Cabs should have arcade PCB's in 'em. ;)
I have one PCB so far but until I can afford more I'd like to at least put my PS2 in there for CVS2 and Guilty Gear.
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

Bitkid - just picked up the various components on ebay to make the LM1881 sync separator - cost under £5. That with a hacked pad, fingerboard and the RGB Scart lead is all you need. Just link the fingerboard to a Scart socket and a universal connector for the hacked pads and any of your RGB consoles should be usable. I'll see how that works out before looking at Viletim's with the video amp. Best guides I've found are here:

http://pc2jamma.mameworld.info/arc_dc2.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/s2j/s2j.html
bitkid

Post by bitkid »

Mpoilu: Where did you order your electronic components, particularly the LM1881N? I looked on the National Semiconductor site but they require a minimum order of like $35 USD. Is that chip fairly common chip. Can you show a picture of your finished circuit once its built? I don't quite understand the diagram in the links you sent (I've not built a lot of circuits from diagrams).

It would be really cool to put up a similar walkthrough in the AO Wiki here, with very clear to understand broken down steps.
mpoilu

Post by mpoilu »

The chip, resistor and caps (and stripboard if needed) are all on eBay in the UK for £1 - £2 each. I'm sure ebay.com must have them too. I'm no expert but those diagrams should be relatively easy to follow, if you need a basic pointer to symbols, this is useful:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

On the second link in my post above, follow this pic (and the text underneath):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/s2 ... rtsync.gif