PS3 VGA + New Net City = No Signal?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
laugh
Please Continue...
PS3 VGA + New Net City = No Signal?

Post by laugh »

Hey guys,

I'm a proud owner of a few NNC cabinets, and I enjoy playing my Xbox360 on them through VGA at 480p. However, I also own a PS3 and I've been trying to get the PS3 to work on my NNCs for awhile without success, so I thought I would share what I've experienced with you guys to hopefully find a solution.

When I play my Xbox360 on the NNC, I use the official VGA cable for the Xbox360, and it just works like it should. No problems what so ever.

When I tried to connect my PS3 to the cabinet, I used the PS3 VGA cable by Mayflash with proper video output settings (480p component output, which is what this VGA cable uses to convert to VGA) but it just shows "NO SIGNAL" on the screen.
(Here's the link to the VGA cable in question)http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp- ... -2jp6.html

If I connect the PS3 VGA cable to my PC LCD monitors, they work flawlessly and correctly understand the signal as 640x480 31khz VGA signal. It's just the NNC's arcade monitor that's not accepting the signal for some reason.

Since that didn't work, I also tried using a component to vga transcoder made specifically for game consosles. When I tried the transcoder, neither Xbox360 or PS3 would show video on the NNC and just kept saying "NO SIGNAL", but the PC monitors worked with both consoles without a problem.

So my question is, does anybody have a clue about how to get PS3 to show video on the NNC monitor? It seems like the monitor in the NNC doesn't like VGA signals converted from component, but why should it?? Could it be because these component to vga transcoders output H+V sync to the VGA port when the NNC expects H/V syncs separately (or vice versa)? Or is it because the voltage levels are beyond expected values from the PS3 VGA?

Any insight is appreciated.
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Re: PS3 VGA + New Net City = No Signal?

Post by Mr-Megalo »

you need to use an NTSC PS3 and a HDFury to get PS3 working on CRT at 31k @ 480p/640x480
I couldn't find any other way to get a PS3 to work on 31k arcade crt's other than using a HDFury
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I use the same cable (no fury here :)) with a HongKong PS3, and it works great, using a Nanao MS-2932-S.

If you get 640x480@60hz on the LCD, it should by all means work on your CRT monitor.

PAL/NTSC issues described here, http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=ps3"

Just as a troubleshooting idea if you haven't already tried it: does a laptop or pc set to 640x480@60 work on your cab?
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

euro PS3 = 480P@50hz
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:euro PS3 = 480P@50hz
576p, which a third party risync chassis should cope with after some fiddling with the sync knobs on the remote board. Can't speak for original chassis
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

your right , my faul. i had 480p@50hz in mind but they used old euro counterpart.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
laugh
Please Continue...

Post by laugh »

I guess I should have noted, but all my consoles ate NTSC including the PS3, and I know it's outputting the correct format for 31khz video.

I'm pretty sure my monitors are PFXs, and maybe they just have below average tolerance when it comes to accepting video signals.

I've spent too much on this already to invest in another semi expensive gadget like the HD Fury. ThereKs gotta be a reason why the VGA converted from component isn't working, and it would have to be the sync or the voltage levels IMO. There's a chance that it's because of the PS3 as well.

I guess JVS PAC isn't gonna be coming home to me anytime soon, because of this.
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

I guessed your running NTSC (your in Korea right ?) I had the same issue with Tri Sync Toshiba which is usually fitted to Sega NNC's - hence why I personally had to use HDFury to convert digital HDMI video signal to analogue VGA at 480p/640x480.
laugh
Please Continue...

Post by laugh »

Mr-Megalo wrote:I guessed your running NTSC (your in Korea right ?) I had the same issue with Tri Sync Toshiba which is usually fitted to Sega NNC's - hence why I personally had to use HDFury to convert digital HDMI video signal to analogue VGA at 480p/640x480.
Yep, they're Korean NTSC consoles.

I'm also worried that HD Fury is gonna add some lag, which is something I can never live with. How's the lag of HD fury? I imagine there has to be at least 1 frame of lag to convert the signal to analog due to the nature of video processing.
Mr-Megalo
Please Continue...

Post by Mr-Megalo »

I was quite happy with the HDFury running a PS3 on a Vewlix and noticed no lag to speak of on a variety of games, but then the PS3 version of SFIV seemed to have a slight input delay as standard on whatever screen it runs on when compared to the 360 version. I certainly had no complaints when using HDFury and a JVS-Pac

if this had been a couple of months ago I could have sold you one quite cheap (depending on your definition of cheap of course) but I sold them on eBay awhile ago
I think Craig @ Giz10p.co.uk may have 1 new but unboxed HDFury left - last one he sold for about £25 GBP (+shipping, which wouldn't be too much i'd imagine as they are small items that can go in a jiffy envelope) other than that they cost around £55 GBP + shipping
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

Just had to check this as I had to verify JVS-PAC operation with the new PS3 firmware that supposedly locks out 3rd party controllers. When selecting component out for the VGA cable, the ps3 defaults to 480i - which my LCD didn't understand anything of. My naomi cab shows this very distorted. After selecting component out and confirming that it is working, you can choose 480p, making it all good.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
punkysuen
Please Continue...

Post by punkysuen »

I have a New Net City, and I have successfully connect Dreamcast and XBOX 360 through VGA.
However, I cannot get it done for PS3.
I have checked the serial number ended with CECH-3012A which should be Hong Kong region NTSC.
When I use the Mayflash VGA cable, I can choose 480p on a VGA monitor and picture shows without problem.
But when I hook it up to the NNC VGA, no signal.

Please give some advices, thanks so much.