Wow, I'm really overwhelmed, i need help with my Blast City

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
NipRing
Please Continue...

Wow, I'm really overwhelmed, i need help with my Blast City

Post by NipRing »

Well, i made the 625 mile round trip today and picked my Blast City cab. I really love it. However...wow...where do i start :?: .
My plan was simple:
Step one - Buy sweet zero burn in Blast City [check]
Step two - Build bad-**** PC to run 31khz via VGA for MAME/ Maximus Arcade [check]
Step three - Buy JVS-Pac for quick and simple hook-up [sort of check, its in the mail]

Now before i put up any pictures, i have to say that the guy i bought this from was a good guy. I felt he was pretty honest with me about the cab. He told me that he had bought the cab as a Bass Fishing cab, removed the fishing control and then upgraded to a factory new 2PCP. He also told me that he was using it for his atomiswave. But has since sold the atomis and really just needed the money instead of a cab.And that i might have to do a little rewiring because atomis was a little different than JAMMA (though JAMMA wasnt what i was going for I just dismissed that figuring i'd sort it out...or so i thought :roll: ) . He also told me that he would have something up and running when i got there to make sure i was happy with the cab. Which he did. He had a Dreamcast hooked up with a DC-JAMMA box and DC-VGA cable. Now i knew i was 99% sure this deal was gonna go through before i got there, but after seeing it in action :shock: ....HAD...TO...HAVE ...IT :shock: My wife had to dab away a little of the foam that had formed on the corner of my mouth. Seriously, it was a razor sharp picture. I took a minute to look over the rest of the cab and i was satisfied. Not only did he give me the Bass Fishing PCB and header, he through in the Dreamcast complete setup along with Capcom vs SNK 2 :awe: sweet! I get it home turn it on play a little with my son, but that doesnt last too long. I'm itching to know how this bad boy ticks. But to be honest i know JAMMA but NOTHING of JVS, Atomiswave, Naomi, I/O boards, ect. Like i said i'll just "figure it out"...yeah right.

My first clue that i might be in over my head was a look at the Bass fishing PCB
What the hell are all those connections for?!? And why is it so big? What about the piggyback box? Is that part of the pcb? oh boy....

Wanna see inside the cab? Looks like a collapsed central nervous system...
:shock: What the hell?? Where do all these wires go?? ,,,panic sets in...
Ok, i first took out the DC setup as i wanted to get a better look at what was really part of the Blast. Which leeds into this pic
Now i'll assume this mostly went over the the Bass Fishing pcb, but... i dont know. And some of the wires are cut. Will i need all these wires to use this machine?
Further inside..I see a Sega board, it says 839-0894
But i dont know what that is? I dont think its the I/O board and it certainly doesnt look like the JVS-pac would hook up to it.

And where is the Sega sound amp i keep reading about? I'm poking my head around inside but i dont know where i should be looking.

When i google JVS or Sega Model 3 info or Blast City...most of what comes back is from KC.....which is no longer.
I would really appreciate some help from the pros.
Thanks
Bill
Last edited by NipRing on October 26th, 2008, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NipRing
Please Continue...

Re: Wow, I'm really overwhelmed, i need help with my Blast City

Post by NipRing »

Would this be something i need?
http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/p ... _3113.html

I read a post about it over at Sega-Naomi
http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... blast+city

Seems like its what i would need to but i dont know what the blast I/O board is/looks like.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

OK - We'll have to make some assumptions here....

1) does the CP plug into the square connectors under the CP.
2) do the wires from those connectors still connect to that PCB

If the answer to both is YES then the -001 loom is what you want and most of the extra wires should be removed - the standard wires only connect B1-B4 so you may have a kick loom fitted for the others.

The Blastcity isn't JVS is a Model-2/3/JAMMA Hybrid so you will need a J-PAC from ultimarc to interface your PC to it.

The Amp is built-in to the PSU - thats why you cannot find it.

I have a modified Blastcity JAMMA loom with a 3.5mm stereo jack (to plug into audio-out on the PC) a J-PAC and all the leads as I had been running a PC in the Blastcity I just sold however it only runs buttons 1-4.

I think the other buttons connect the white connector (top-left) but I need to confirm this so you would need a short loom from whichever connector they go to.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

You can probably pull out anything that goes to the control board inside on the right but wasn't connected to the DC JAMMA box thing or going to anything within the cab, chances are its mostly model 3 wiring, make notes just in case. After you've removed everthing that isn't in use its a standard JAMMA cab. The 001 version JAMMA loom is well worth picking up as it adds two phono leads for stereo games and JVS power options.
NipRing
Please Continue...

Post by NipRing »

penrhos wrote:OK - We'll have to make some assumptions here....

1) does the CP plug into the square connectors under the CP.
2) do the wires from those connectors still connect to that PCB

If the answer to both is YES then the -001 loom is what you want and most of the extra wires should be removed - the standard wires only connect B1-B4 so you may have a kick loom fitted for the others.

The Blastcity isn't JVS is a Model-2/3/JAMMA Hybrid so you will need a J-PAC from ultimarc to interface your PC to it.

The Amp is built-in to the PSU - thats why you cannot find it.

I have a modified Blastcity JAMMA loom with a 3.5mm stereo jack (to plug into audio-out on the PC) a J-PAC and all the leads as I had been running a PC in the Blastcity I just sold however it only runs buttons 1-4.

I think the other buttons connect the white connector (top-left) but I need to confirm this so you would need a short loom from whichever connector they go to.
1) No, the square connectors are not there, looks like most of the CP wires run to that JAMMA connector.
2) If your talking about the connectors in the 3rd photo, this is what i've come up with
And i cant find connector "D" at all for that piggy back unit. And there is a 7 pin, a 6 pin and two 4 pin headers on the pcb that i dont have any connectors for.
Some of the connector wires have been snipped off such as these

I dont see any factory jamma edge connector though. The Jamma connector in the photo was put in there by the previous owner.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

If that's a home made JAMMA loom bypassing the control board completely, rip the **** out and get the 001 and a new control panel loom
NipRing
Please Continue...

Post by NipRing »

SuperPang wrote:If that's a home made JAMMA loom bypassing the control board completely, rip the **** out and get the 001 and a new control panel loom
Where would i find those two looms?
And i thought jamma only supports 4 buttons right? But of course the extra buttons can be attached to a j-pac.
Darn it. I already bought that JVS-PAC thinking that was what i was gonna need.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I don't know much about these things but assuming the original owner hasn't dicked with too much, I think you would put an official 2L12B loom in the control panel and wire the non-JAMMA buttons from the control board to the JPAC. The Blast isn't JVS so you'd be wiring via an I/O for a JVS device, which seems a bit pointless. If you need a new control panel, look for an official Sega one with loom. If not, maybe Geezer can help you out. As for the JAMMA/JVS 001 loom thingy, I see them on Yahoo Japan from time to time. Start a wanted thread, maybe someone has a spare.
NipRing
Please Continue...

Post by NipRing »

CP is new, however it does not have a sega loom attached.

So i should start searching for a Sega 2L12B loom and a Sega 001 version JAMMA loom? And would both of these connect to the circuit board mounted on the right inside the main door?
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

I'll take some pics inside mine tonght (now I can get at it).

trace the wires from the two black IDC connectors on the PCB - one will go to the JAMMA loom - you can disconnect that = 001 loom.

The two large black plugs (top right) are the power leads - you can dissconnect those = 001 loom.

The white 4-pin is audio out - you can disconnect that = 001 loom.

the remaining black IDC connector should go to the plate under the CP, has P1 & P4 buttons 4-6 (the white plug thats still there) and two others (one white the other orange).
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Here's some pics of inside my Blast - hope they're usefull, I've got the -001 loom fitted and thats the only wiring inside my BC that goes to the JAMMA edge connector, the rest of the wires from that PCB either go to the PSU, Speakers, coin mech or CP connectors.

The Sega loom is actually 3 looms - P1 stick & B1-3 + Start, P2 Stick & B1-3 + Start, Both players B4-6. Andygeezer or Craig will be able to supply all of them but you'll need the two sockets to plug them into.
DSCF4634.JPG
DSCF4637.JPG
DSCF4640.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NipRing
Please Continue...

Post by NipRing »

Thanks for posting those pics the'll be helpful. So, I should remove any loom that connects from the Bass fishing to the internal circiut board? Does that 001 loom come with that audio jack or did you do that?
And as far as the CP loom is concerned i should try and find 2 M/F 12 pin molex connectors for the new loom. Correct?
I want to run my pc video directly through the vga, so should i remove the video wires from the jamma harness or wont it matter? Is there a pecking order as far as the Nanao is concerned? Will it look for video signal via vga first , jamma second? Can i just bypass putting the vga into the jpac and send it direct to the Nanao?

Also, thank you for your help, both of you. :D
neofrank

Post by neofrank »

hehe, nice cab, crazy wiring job though...
OK, I think most of your questions have been answered, but the audio jack that comes on the 001 loom is not the 1/8" shown in that pic, it should come with a L/R RCA jacks and a connector to hook it through that or audio from the jamma harness.

Andy Geezer Services has some of the cp harnesses you will need, but it looks like the connectors for player 2, and the option harness have been pulled out (probably in the pile of wires ;)
600-6317-17 player 1
600-6317-18 player 2
600-6227-10 option (kick buttons)
http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/seg ... subcat=112"

I can snap some pics of my blast setup when I get home.
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Right - had a sort out and I have got a spare -001 loom & P1/P2 looms for sticks+B1-3 - no kick loom though.

I'll remove my loom and meter which wire goes where for the two missing sockets at the weekend.