Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Removing the monitor from Egret 2.

Post by emphatic »

Thank you! Just to recap and get it the right order:

1. remove the anode cap (after sticking a screwdriver that's connected with a grounding wire to earth under it), then
2. removing the neck card, after that,
3. removing the screws that hold the rotation assembly
4. Lifting it out (2 people)

Correct?
Buddyc
eBay: haver-san
Initials: BAD

Post by Buddyc »

Just to calm your nerves a bit since this is your first time discharging a monitor.
The MS9 chassis most likely in your Egret 2 has a bleeder circuit.
Just leave it off for 30 minutes and it should have discharged itself.

But to be extra safe, take a flathead screwdriver with for example a alligator clip and connect it to the frame of the tube. Push the flathead screwdriver gently under the anode cap until it touches the two metal tips.
Since it’s a MS9, I can almost guarantee you won’t hear a “pop”, but it’s always smart to play it safe with CRT’s.

Don’t worry. You got this!
nakajima

Post by nakajima »

Yes, and although it is obvious, first of all unplug the power cord ;)

As the colleague comments, disconnect all the cables that connect the tube to the chassis (you can take a photo of the connections before)

emphatic wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:01 am Thank you! Just to recap and get it the right order:

1. remove the anode cap (after sticking a screwdriver that's connected with a grounding wire to earth under it), then
2. removing the neck card, after that,
3. removing the screws that hold the rotation assembly
4. Lifting it out (2 people)

Correct?
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Thanks a lot, guys. I will be sure to take lots of pictures to see if I can make a guide of sorts.

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear, which holes hold the rotation mechanism? The red ones? I figure the blue ones hold the tube in the mechanism, right?
holes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nakajima

Post by nakajima »

I think so, you'll see that only removing 4 screws will leave the wood free (although it rests on the lower horizontal bar). With a partner, leaning the wood from the top towards you, it will be yours 8-)

As the system is not self-supporting, it is best to put a blanket on the floor and gently support the monitor with the glass facing down. In my photo there is another ms9 because the objective was to replace the tube.

emphatic wrote: February 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm Thanks a lot, guys. I will be sure to take lots of pictures to see if I can make a guide of sorts.

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear, which holes hold the rotation mechanism? The red ones? I figure the blue ones hold the tube in the mechanism, right?

holes.jpg
Lazyace
eBay: Lazyace1980
Initials: BRK

Post by Lazyace »

Posted in error! Didn't realise how old the original post was! Oops.
Lazyace
eBay: Lazyace1980
Initials: BRK

Post by Lazyace »

emphatic wrote: February 6th, 2023, 8:24 pm Thanks a lot, guys. I will be sure to take lots of pictures to see if I can make a guide of sorts.

holes.jpg
I fully tore down my two a couple of years ago. I generally have pictures of most stages of what I did. I took the mechanism completely apart to get the struts replated. I replaced almost every screw like for like too so everything generally got repainted, resanded or replated so I went into the guts of it all.

I'll see if I can dig out the pictures as I have a folder with everything in. I took videos too, they won't be instructional quality but from memory they could be useful. Drop me a PM if you think it might ne useful and I'll upload pics/videos of what I have.
geldra

Post by geldra »

Is there a means of “tightening” the mechanism at all? I noticed when I rotated mine last week that the plate (best word I could think of) that the monitor is connected to felt a bit loose, resulting in the monitor tilting forwards during the rotation.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
nakajima

Post by nakajima »

The nut and washer that you see in the arc path join the frame of the monitor to the rotation mechanism, preventing the monitor from coming apart.

geldra wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:13 pm Is there a means of “tightening” the mechanism at all? I noticed when I rotated mine last week that the plate (best word I could think of) that the monitor is connected to felt a bit loose, resulting in the monitor tilting forwards during the rotation.
geldra

Post by geldra »

Nice one thank you.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?