“Shiny plastic” control panel vs “matte” control panel. I need your opinion.

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
ArcadeFan2021
eBay: ArcadeFan2021
Initials: CAL

“Shiny plastic” control panel vs “matte” control panel. I need your opinion.

Post by ArcadeFan2021 »

Hey there,

For years I have been wondering about this and I just wanted your opinion.

I have been playing on a vewlix and I have an official shiny plastic control panel. The issue that I have is that the control panel is sticky. No matter how many times I clean it my hand always stick to it. It’s like the pores of my hand create a vacuum and stick to the shiny plastic (like an octopus :lol: ).

However, if the control panel has a “matte” finish, then I have no issues. When I say “matte” I mean like the control panel of an All.net p-ras multi cabinet. For those who don’t know it’s the cabinet that plays Virtua Fighter 5 E-sports here in Japan.

So my questions are…

1-Does anyone else have this issue of shiny plastic control panels sticking to your hands? I dont think it’s an issue where my hands are dirty or the control panel is not clean since I clean it almost every day after play.

2-Is there any shop that offers vewlix control panels that have a “matte” finish rather than shiny plastic? Jasen’s customs used to offer a Lindbergh “matte” control panel when the shop existed. I actually bought one and it’s really good.

3- Does anyone know if there is a cleaning product that can reduce the stickiness of shiny plastic control panels? I really hate the feeling. I’m almost capable of buying chalk dust and wiping my hands with it in order to have a smooth feeling when playing.

Sorry for the long topic. Thanks to anyone who spent the time to read it.

Peace! :awe:
Proud owner of a Sega Lindbergh and a Taito Vewlix.
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Re: “Shiny plastic” control panel vs “matte” control panel. I need your opinion.

Post by Neo Gold »

All i can suggest is..panel is removed 'Keyed' & repainted in clear satin..
Or cheaper quick option...remove part, & a light wet/dry with p1600 paper..warm water with a dash of F-liquid.
No need to apologise here!?..we like a good read, esp with photo's etc.. :)

Its all personal preference really..some like matt & some folk like shiny!.
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
ST67
eBay: inprogress
Initials: MTN

Re: “Shiny plastic” control panel vs “matte” control panel. I need your opinion.

Post by ST67 »

Personally, I would get a matte overlay printed and put that over the control panel. Or, at the very least, I would make some "palm rest" type areas out of some matte vinyl type stuff or whatever and put them in place.
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Post by Neo Gold »

Yes, a matt/satin Vynl wrap would be even easier...buy a metre square & make your templates & cut out ..stick.
It will act as protection too for your shiny original surface!. 8-)
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
ArcadeFan2021
eBay: ArcadeFan2021
Initials: CAL

Post by ArcadeFan2021 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. You’re the best! :awe: