Blast City questions

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Deficon
Please Continue...
eBay: Rockingdamasterplan
Initials: ADC

Blast City questions

Post by Deficon »

Hi Folks! Thought I’d join this forum after becoming a proud owner of an Astro city and a blast City! Hope to fully restore and use them for years to come. I use to dream as a pup of having my own some day and it’s just amazing to have not one but both. Apologies for the total noobness but do have a lot of experience repairing consoles and the like. Solder skills etc

Both cabs have some issues that I’m looking to sort so any advice would be massively helpful. The Astro city is the one with most so going to work on the blast City first which I’ve seen working, however it had a dull image despite turning the brightness up. Been told this was easy solved using the right set up as it was a Pandora box pulled from another cab to demonstrate it working.

I guess the correct starting point is to get some games playing on it to diagnose other potential issues which is my first question I guess for anyone so kind to help.

These are the connections I have which I think are jamma.

I went on eBay for a Pandora’s box and was blown away with the choices so any suggestions of which to go for, doesn’t have to be the latest or greatest it’s just something for now. Any connectors or adapters I should also order please let me know.

Much appreciated
D.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Blast City questions

Post by nem »

I guess that came from Yaton. Condition certainly points to it.

As for the Pandora, I don't think anyone here actually uses one, but apparently 'DX' is the one to go for.

viewtopic.php?t=41894
Astrix
Please Continue...
eBay: cjd1002010

Post by Astrix »

That loom you have is what is known as the '001 loom' which with allow you to use jvs systems as well if you have the correct jamma i/o adapter . https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Bla ... ring_Guide
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

nem wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm I guess that came from Yaton. Condition certainly points to it.

As for the Pandora, I don't think anyone here actually uses one, but apparently 'DX' is the one to go for.

viewtopic.php?t=41894
It came from a friend who was expecting it to work when he got it, not sure where he got it from but got a few at the same time. Is there something better that more folk use? I’ll be honest in that I don’t like being a noob but we all start somewhere I guess lol
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

Astrix wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:15 pm That loom you have is what is known as the '001 loom' which with allow you to use jvs systems as well if you have the correct jamma i/o adapter . https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Bla ... ring_Guide
Thank you for the information, do you have a preferred place to buy adapters and the likes from?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Start by buying a cheap JAMMA PCB to test with.
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

SuperPang wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:41 pm Start by buying a cheap JAMMA PCB to test with.
Will do
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

SuperPang wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:41 pm Start by buying a cheap JAMMA PCB to test with.
Something like this do? Or should I get an original pcb
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Those things are fine for testing (and playing some classic games on), but don’t pay £60 for one!
Astrix
Please Continue...
eBay: cjd1002010

Post by Astrix »

Deficon wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:38 pm
Astrix wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:15 pm That loom you have is what is known as the '001 loom' which with allow you to use jvs systems as well if you have the correct jamma i/o adapter . https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Bla ... ring_Guide
Thank you for the information, do you have a preferred place to buy adapters and the likes from?
If you are after anything in particular, it's probably worth putting a wanted post up on this forum.

I agree with the others, you should try get a cheap jamma game first but the 001 loom is nice to have if you eventually want to try some jvs systems
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

Cheers guys, stuck a bud in on a golden oldie so will update once a bit further forward
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

Anyone any idea what these are for? Werent connected to anything, found them during disassemble.ones taped off. Located top left of the opening plate. Seem to run up the side of the monitor.

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's to bypass the kill switch for the service door. Unless you want to electrocute yourself, you'll want to cover up the other terminal too.
Deficon
Please Continue...

Post by Deficon »

nem wrote: April 18th, 2021, 12:32 pm It's to bypass the kill switch for the service door. Unless you want to electrocute yourself, you'll want to cover up the other terminal too.
Okay that seems sensible. Does raise the question why would someone have done that in the first place
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

Cause he hadn't one of these, some of us use. Otherwise you can't open the door, while a game is running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The kill switch is so sensitive that if you hit the door with your knee, it can power cycle the cab. Very annoying.