Powering my vewlix vs (hallelujah)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
siyco
Never breathes in
Initials: bad

Powering my vewlix vs (hallelujah)

Post by siyco »

I've recently brought me a vewlix off ronnie it's here and ive just recieved all the gear to run. I was recommended a bronson ++ I got the tl-1500 as I needed at least 500w as the the vewlix is 400w and I've plugged it all up an nothing even plugged the monitors in separately and nothing.? Faulty converter or something else can't be all the leads at fault
Last edited by siyco on November 25th, 2020, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Powering my vewlix vs

Post by DaveyD »

Have you got a multimeter to test voltages whilst you've got it plugged in?
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I would hazard a guess that there maybe switches inside or on the back of the cab that need turning on, the power supply size is fine.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Although I'm confused by how he plugged in the monitors separately.

You could plug in a phone charger (or something else that's 100-240 VAC) to make sure the transformer is working.

(also, get a multimeter if you don't have one. Having a multimeter is a prerequisite for owning in cab)
siyco
Never breathes in

Post by siyco »

Hi guys thanks for the replies I haven't got multimeter (yet) the monitors are plugged in separately on the socket rail inside so I just unplugged one and plugged in I did stick a toaster in the outputs to test it work I think there is another switch somewhere it's not in the manual. Not enough on the vewlix vs on the net.
siyco
Never breathes in

Post by siyco »

Been through the manual twice only ever mentions the one power switch and been through cab with all doors off and a torch can't see any other switch or anything unplugged. Using a step down plugging up the 110v lead to step down converter and nothing.
Anything else I should be checking. :wtf:
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

nem wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:03 am (also, get a multimeter if you don't have one. Having a multimeter is a prerequisite for owning in cab)
This.
siyco wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:33 am Hi guys thanks for the replies I haven't got multimeter (yet)
Get one. It's near impossible to diagnose remotely without you having one. You don't need anything fancy, just get one that has a audible continuity test. You should be able to get something half decent for ~£15.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

siyco wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 11:33 am Hi guys thanks for the replies I haven't got multimeter (yet) the monitors are plugged in separately on the socket rail inside so I just unplugged one and plugged in I did stick a toaster in the outputs to test it work I think there is another switch somewhere it's not in the manual. Not enough on the vewlix vs on the net.
Is the input voltage on the Bronson switch at 230V?
I take it you tested the toaster with the 220V output?
If nothing happens when you connect the cab or monitors directly into the Bronson's 110V output then the 110V output is faulty.
siyco
Never breathes in

Post by siyco »

Yes the switch on the back is set to 230v yes I used the uk plug on the front which is the 220v for the toaster I was thinking perhaps it's not outputting and kept thinking perhaps there was one more more power switch on the cab but I can't find one on it or the manual.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The 220V outlet on the front it just just a passthrough and doesn't go through the actual transformer. It doesn't really prove much. If you plugged one of the monitors straight in to the 110V outlet and nothing happened, I think that's a pretty clear sign that the transformer is somehow faulty.
siyco
Never breathes in

Post by siyco »

Thanks for the input hopefully ronnie will confirm today there isn't another switch somewhere on it can't see it being I've searched everywhere and I think the next step is another converter.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Next step is a multimeter. ;)
g60hot
Please Continue...
eBay: recycle-squad

Post by g60hot »

just checked our machine and I can confirm there is only the one switch which is located behind the coin mech on the one player side of the machine.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

As nem suggested, try and find another device with a 100-240V power supply and the same IEC "kettle lead" input to test the 110V output on the transformer.
siyco
Never breathes in

Post by siyco »

Yeah ronnie confirmed it's the only switch and yes multimeter on way Il have alook see if I can find something to plug in thanks to everyone who's replied appreciate it. Keep you posted
siyco
Never breathes in

Re: Powering my vewlix vs (hallelujah)

Post by siyco »

Just keeping you guys informed brand new powerful step down came plugged it up fired up system all working like a charm not that I doubted anyone just my older step down and a button I may of missed etc.. But it's all running thanks for the input still getting multimeter and let the games begin. :lol:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Powering my vewlix vs (hallelujah)

Post by nem »

Happy to hear that!

Did you get a multimeter, yet?