How can I make my Blast City quieter than a jet engine?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
tzakiel

How can I make my Blast City quieter than a jet engine?

Post by tzakiel »

The fan in my Blast City power supply sounds like a vacuum cleaner running. Is there any easy replacement fan I can get for it? I've seen some videos on replacing it but they seem to want a type of fan I can't find. Any tips or products out there? Is the fan even necessary in a normal 72 degree room?
Mrhide
Initials: MRH

Re: How can I make my Blast City quieter than a jet engine?

Post by Mrhide »

mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

I've put in a Noctua NF-A8 FLX with rubber mounting (you need to drill out the screw holes or else the rubbers won't fit). It's lovely and quiet, but you do also need to transplant the original fan connector to the Noctua. Thankfully the pins fit inside the housing so no soldering is needed, just a needle to remove the pins (Google is your friend) and then push them into the smaller housing. You can just cut off the third tacho pin, because it's unused.

The end result:

tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

mufunyo wrote:I've put in a Noctua NF-A8 FLX with rubber mounting (you need to drill out the screw holes or else the rubbers won't fit). It's lovely and quiet, but you do also need to transplant the original fan connector to the Noctua. Thankfully the pins fit inside the housing so no soldering is needed, just a needle to remove the pins (Google is your friend) and then push them into the smaller housing. You can just cut off the third tacho pin, because it's unused.

The end result:

That seems like a good solution. What do you mean drill out the screw holes? How did you drill them out exactly?
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

tzakiel wrote:That seems like a good solution. What do you mean drill out the screw holes? How did you drill them out exactly?
PC fan screws (and rubbers) are made for 4mm screw holes. The screw holes in the Blast PSU are smaller than that, so you need to enlarge them to 4mm or else you'll rip the rubbers trying to fit them in the holes (that's what she said :awe:).
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

mufunyo wrote:
tzakiel wrote:That seems like a good solution. What do you mean drill out the screw holes? How did you drill them out exactly?
PC fan screws (and rubbers) are made for 4mm screw holes. The screw holes in the Blast PSU are smaller than that, so you need to enlarge them to 4mm or else you'll rip the rubbers trying to fit them in the holes (that's what she said :awe:).
Ok thanks for letting me know. Can you let me know in more detail what you did to the old fan to get the pins out or what order to do things in to retain what I need to get the new fan hooked in? Which two pins did you retain from the new fan and which one gets cut off?