Donkey Kong (Mame or Arcade)

Post your high scores here!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Donkey Kong (Mame or Arcade)

Post by pubjoe »

There's a few fans of DK here so I thought it'd be interesting to see how AO's performance on this game is. ...Plus, I recently fluffed it through the 3rd elevators stage for the first time ever and scored...

Nothing spectacular, but it takes a lot of practice (or luck) to pass Level 4 so I'm chuffed with it.
tmc
Please Continue...
Re: Donkey Kong (Mame or Arcade)

Post by tmc »

geat game,

been practising a lot myself - recently got hold of the rom hack that helps when learning to control the barrells, the hack changes the colour of the barrells when you've controlled them sucessfully.

Need to really get a grip on milking the girder stages before posting any scores - the way weibe & mitchell can control barrells to group them into doubles, then jump them - and retreat down laders to jump them again is just incredible.
tmc
Please Continue...

Post by tmc »

forgot to say - thats a great score pubjoe! - did you look into the correct positioning for the final spring on the 3rd elevator or just wing it a get there with luck?

One of classic gamings most infamous and harest stages.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Cheers.

I'm really interested in the game. I used to love it on the spectrum years ago and since watching KoK, I've had a read up on all the tricks and techniques like the 3rd elevators stage's spring positioning.

But I've only got to the 3rd elevators a couple of times so there was definately a lot of luck in passing those springs the other day. I know how to do it: wait under Pauline/Peach > when a spring bounces between DK's legs, follow it so close that it scrapes your nose > if the next spring isn't further to left, abort and run left.

But the fact that your looking in two places, trying to time/position it perfectly and not wasting any time getting stuck on the ladder and be ready to turn back... It makes it a pretty unnerving section.

I've been playing it weekly with my mate, so it's been pretty slow progress tbh. After I got that score, amazingly I got to the stage again with all 4 lives still intact... I lost two stupidly trying to rush the elevators, one I just got nervous on the springs and then the last life, I made a perfect run, but the second spring was in the wrong position and I wasn't ready to turn back. Other than that, I'd made it there a couple of times with maybe one life left.

It's only recently I've accepted that I'm not good enough to do all the point pressing I'd been trying to do. I've recently just run though trying to get to a high level. But I do still take opportunities like going down a ladder if 3 barrells happen to be grouped together and jump them again, or hammering fireball groups & blue barrels when I can. On the go where I got 130k, I lot of that stuff went right.

Anyway, I was pretty lucky, but getting to level 5 has now quite excited me about the game. I can't wait to play it again actually.

(sorry for the long post, gf's watching a crap film and I'm bored).
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Does anyone remember the 1st level bug\glitch ? If you go to the second platform and jump off it in just the right spot you drop through the bottom platform and automatically clear the level :awe:
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Good score mate.

When KoK came out I became hooked on the game (and even bought an original cab!)
But the cab was in need of restoration so I have never actually played the pcb in the machine itself!

My best is 127,500 but I kinda found Cave bullet hell and haven't attempted to play it for some time. Maybe I will get it running again soon :)
whitecomet
Initials: DNA

Post by whitecomet »

Does anyone know of any guides to DK.. like how to control barrels? What stages to build up scores on? Certain paths or routes to take (pacman tunnels)? or even a video/youtube of the first few stages of the world record attempts??
maxio098ui
Please Continue...
eBay: maxio098ui

Post by maxio098ui »

WhiteComet wrote:Does anyone know of any guides to DK.. like how to control barrels? What stages to build up scores on? Certain paths or routes to take (pacman tunnels)? or even a video/youtube of the first few stages of the world record attempts??

I tried getting a tape of steve (can't remember his last name) got his email somehow. Never got the tape but nice guy. I have been wanting a superplay of DK forever. So I am so bumping this right now. :awe:
The screws used to seal up this cart are wood screws. Nobody is going to waste good wood screws on a bootleg, they'd just use cheap electronic screws instead.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Code: Select all

http://petes-emulation.com/ftp/alien_mame/docs/How_to_Win_at_Donkey_Kong.pdf

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.
maxio098ui
Please Continue...
eBay: maxio098ui

Post by maxio098ui »

alienmame wrote:

Code: Select all

http://petes-emulation.com/ftp/alien_mame/docs/How_to_Win_at_Donkey_Kong.pdf

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.

**** KING MAN :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The screws used to seal up this cart are wood screws. Nobody is going to waste good wood screws on a bootleg, they'd just use cheap electronic screws instead.