Post your high scores here!
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Competition Idea

Post by crunchywasp »

Sounds like a great idea :awe:

I like the poker idea too but I've not played it in probably at least 10 years, was never very good at it and I don't know what variation folks are playing these days etc. Minefield! I'd happily lose face for a fiver though!
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

davewellington wrote:Use a cheap PCB with battery backed up saving, and send the PCB around. You're allowed to have it for 5 days max before sending it on. Winner gets to keep the PCB :P
I think we have a winner :)
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Also, depending on how many people are in, it doesn't have to be the cheapest ever game then. It'd take a while to pass round but that's ok. If ten people are in, a tenner each would give us a lot of options.

So what game? Preferably something that most of us haven't played. One game that Ive always fancied but never played (or maybe I had one go in an arcade twenty years ago) is Three Wonders. It's not the most well-played game but it looks really good. It contains a run and shoot game, a flying shooter and a puzzle game. We could pick one, or it'd be a good choice for that idea of a multigame ranking system. It goes for about £100 I think. A little over on ebay.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote:Also, depending on how many people are in, it doesn't have to be the cheapest ever game then. It'd take a while to pass round but that's ok. If ten people are in, a tenner each would give us a lot of options.

So what game? Preferably something that most of us haven't played. One game that Ive always fancied but never played (or maybe I had one go in an arcade twenty years ago) is Three Wonders. It's not the most well-played game but it looks really good. It contains a run and shoot game, a flying shooter and a puzzle game. We could pick one, or it'd be a good choice for that idea of a multigame ranking system. It goes for about £100 I think. A little over on ebay.

3 wonders is an awesome game used to play it back in the early 90's in our local arcade must be close to 20 years ago now :awe:

edit also doing it this way you could possibly run 2 comp at once having 2 pcbs going around etc :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Being CPS it won't save high scores though - unless someone can tinker with it that is. I love the idea of a saved scoreboard, but it's not essential. Game choice overrules I think.

Is there anyone with an impending yhj order that could add something? It'd mean starting at January at the earliest though, but that's probably about right. The competition could end in March with an awards ceremony in Ralph's Dungeon. :awe:
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

What about XII Stag in Taito G-Net?
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

IIRC, Three Wonders have a suicide battery. I have the PCB, and it's indeed great, only thing I don't like is that two games use 8-way and the puzzle game would possibly run better with a 4-way. I've only played the puzzle game once though. :whoopsie:

Mine however, has issues. Maybe I'll pop mine in tonight to see if it's alive.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

XII Stag the only thing I can think of that saves scores and no-one plays. Bit of a **** PCB to win mind. :problem:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

It doesn't need to save score, though that would be a huge bonus.

CPS2 is going to cost a fortune to post. I think we should aim for a single layer, not massive pcb
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

Couple of suggestions for non shmup chip in games.

Midway - toobin. not many people have played it, nice variety of scoring techniques. a bit uncmmon particularly in the uk but not very expensive.

Or rampage world tour?

Both have a fairly quick learning curve.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Gals Panic :whoopsie:
Tyranix95
Please Continue...

Post by Tyranix95 »

kernow wrote:*watches thread crash and burn because of the ludicrous idea of mailing a PCB to everyone and them taking turns instead of just playing the same game simultaneously on mame on your computer* :roll:

I agree: Bad idea. Shipping the board around the world will cost a small fortune, and, what if something happens to the board.

I think the best way is the Honor system, with eveyone playing thier own board. And cheaters getting banned and flamed for life--Neo style.
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Tyranix95 wrote: I think the best way is the Honor system, with eveyone playing thier own board.
This is a pretty small forum as things go, you'll have trouble finding a board that more than a few people own but is suited to score.

How about deciding a small criteria, then having people list their games that fall into that criteria. After say, two weeks (allows for updated lists if people get new arrivals), count up the list and choose the game with the most owners.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

As the ideas are flying about, here's another one.

We select a game that not many has played, but many want to own, pool money together and buy one. We then play this game in MAME ( :whoopsie: ) and the winner get to keep the board we bought.
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That
Initials: DAF

Post by instant_classic »

I want to know more about this poker night :awe:
Tyranix95
Please Continue...

Post by Tyranix95 »

DandySephy wrote:
Tyranix95 wrote: I think the best way is the Honor system, with eveyone playing thier own board.
This is a pretty small forum as things go, you'll have trouble finding a board that more than a few people own but is suited to score.

How about deciding a small criteria, then having people list their games that fall into that criteria. After say, two weeks (allows for updated lists if people get new arrivals), count up the list and choose the game with the most owners.
Post your list of acceptable score boards.

I posted mine on Pg. #4.

And let's see who has what.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Taking that idea a step further, how about creating a poll with a list of possible games. Each member can vote on one if they have it or are willing to buy one for the competition.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I'd be up for either:
  • Joint purchase and time share, or
  • Mame
I only have an original SFZ3 board and I doubt I'd be arsed to try and buy a game just for the comp.

My personal feeling with a joint purchase is that a fraction of the PCB cost plus postage would be small enough to be feasible. Even if something does go wrong along the way - **** - it's better than everyone buying the game. This way anyone without the chosen game can join in fairly cheaply, and the risks of postal damage are just the same as if everyone was to individually buy it - actually lower as it can be packed in the same decent padded box for each journey. I also like the idea of the winner keeping it. That way, the hassle of it all makes some kind of sense. Finally, a newly bought game as both the challenge and prize means that there's less likelihood of, or motivation for, a competitor who's already mastered it. In other words: less chance of trying to beat mufunyo at tetris.

And it's not that much hassle. chipping in for a game, playing it at some point then posting it is perfectly doable for a laugh.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

New year bump. I like the cut of pubjoe's jib and have got a Dynablaster board I'll donate. Play it for a bit, take a photo of your high score, take a photo of your nutsack touching the board (to reveal later once the winner has the board), post it on to the next challenger. Would be a fun little compo. :awe: