Psyvariar Revision

Post your high scores here!
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Psyvariar Revision

Post by yosai »

One of my favourite games of all time. Probably not too many other people playing it though.

Taito G-Net. Default settings.

Code: Select all

1. yosai  - 60,318,100 - Lvl 257 - ALL 
2. cools  - 30,XXX,XXX - Lvl 210 - X-C
3. geldra - 20,226,600 - Lvl 096 - X-B
Last edited by yosai on January 8th, 2010, 9:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Psyvariar Revision

Post by cools »

Haha, nice score!

I'm what, 50% of the way there...

You playing that with one credit? :shock:
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

Yeah, although with the hundreds of hours I've put in to it I should be a hell of a lot better. Adding up the individual scores in replay mode and the combined scores is nearly double. It's tricky pulling it all off in one go though.

There's a couple of sick replays on http://www.super-play.co.uk/ if you haven't seen them.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I have. I might be wrong though but I think those are done on the PS2 version, with the roll button?

My best is 30m (with quite a few continues), a run to level 210 X-C if I remember correctly.

Even if I do well in the rest of the game, the second pattern (with the blue and green cloverleaf type bullets) on the boss on 3-C I can't get through without blind luck - the buzz counter above the ship along with the bullets animating simply messes with my head too much, and it's not a pattern worth bombing on :(
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

Even if I do well in the rest of the game, the second pattern (with the blue and green cloverleaf type bullets) on the boss on 3-C I can't get through without blind luck
That boss is in Psyvariar 2?
the buzz counter above the ship along with the bullets animating simply messes with my head too much
Yeah the level and buzz numbers can be proper distracting at times.

A couple of tips, some probably obvious.

When the Neutrino gauge at the top fills up you level up and turn invincible briefly. When invincible you can buzz the centre points of bullets spreads and level up a couple of times at once.

Hold the bomb button down for the shot bomb, this makes you invincible briefly and doesn't kill enemies or remove bullets so you can still buzz off them.

You get an extra bomb for 100 destruction rate on any level.

When your bombs are empty you can hold the bomb button and it'll keep you rolling until you release it or get another bomb.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

yosai wrote:
Even if I do well in the rest of the game, the second pattern (with the blue and green cloverleaf type bullets) on the boss on 3-C I can't get through without blind luck
That boss is in Psyvariar 2?
I might be thinking of the wrong level. I'll check it out tonight. It's the first stage of whatever boss it is. I know with practice I'll be able to beat the other bosses just buzzing, but that pattern is a real problem unless I bomb.
the buzz counter above the ship along with the bullets animating simply messes with my head too much
Yeah the level and buzz numbers can be proper distracting at times.

A couple of tips, some probably obvious.

When the Neutrino gauge at the top fills up you level up and turn invincible briefly. When invincible you can buzz the centre points of bullets spreads and level up a couple of times at once.

Hold the bomb button down for the shot bomb, this makes you invincible briefly and doesn't kill enemies or remove bullets so you can still buzz off them.

You get an extra bomb for 100 destruction rate on any level.

When your bombs are empty you can hold the bomb button and it'll keep you rolling until you release it or get another bomb.
That last one I didn't know about. My score shot up by 10m a few minutes after I discovered the invincible bomb trick :)

My single credit scores are nothing to write home about, but that's one of the main things I like about the game - it doesn't punish you too much for using them.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Right, it's the 2-C boss that has the cloverleaf attack I can't avoid without bombing, dying or pure luck.

Not managed to get beyond level 24 on Earth. Usual is 22-23.
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

I know the ones you mean, it's the second loop of them that's a bit harsh isn't it. If it's the same as the 2-D boss you can fly above them by positioning yourself half over the bosses wing. It's still a bit tricky though.

Not managed to get beyond level 24 on Earth. Usual is 22-23.
The first level is pretty tough to get a high level, if you're not in the centre of the screen at the right times you can loose a lot of buzz. It's worth sacrificing a couple of shot bombs to level up as you'll be able to level up to 80+ on 2-D.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

That's a worthwhile safe spot. It's the only pattern so far that messes with my head - the rest I suck at solely because I've not figured out the trick or lack skill/practice. Will have to keep at it till I'm happy, then try putting a non-cheating score up :D

Really want to get Colony on replay but I fail at beating the boss without dying, I love the music on the stage :D
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

YES. Achieved level 24 on Earth a couple of times, and unlocked Volcano on the second attempt.

Inching forward...
geldra

Post by geldra »

Can cool's scores be updated onto the first post leaderboard?

Just got this up and running this morning (managed a sneaky "test" before popping to work). I'll be absolute bobbins but I'm itching to improve.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
geldra

Post by geldra »

So, my best score so far is a **** poor 11,823,900. However I suppose I have only been playing it for half a week. Got to say that I think this is possibly the finest shooter I have ever played. The buzz mechanic is just genius.

Best level on Earth is 18. :D What do the pros get?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I'm back on Raiden DX for the next few weeks. After that - Psyvariar again :D
geldra

Post by geldra »

Good man, gives me a chance to boost my scores a little. :)
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

geldra wrote:Best level on Earth is 18. :D What do the pros get?
27. Nowhere near pro but managed to 1CC a fair few times. Here's my scores for the different levels.

geldra

Post by geldra »

I like it when your scores jump up a bit. Still massively crap by comparison to others however I'm pretty pleased:

20226600 lv 96 area X-B

I love this game, def my favourite shooter.