Namco 246

PCB problems and fixes
purplec

Namco 246

Post by purplec »

Hi

I have a Namco 246 thats giving a blue screen with A " board boot error message" that keeps coming. If anyone could shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated. there are also some dip switches 4 to be exact could it be something to do with these i have tried different combinations but I cant get it going just the same blue error message each time.

regards
Purplec

The game is fighting jam and the secfurity dongle is there aswell
maxchainsplendid
Please Continue...

Re: Namco 246

Post by maxchainsplendid »

I recall repairing one w/a blue screen once, just replaced the DVD drive is all -

However, I don't remember if it gave an error message?

Either way, you can replace the DVD drive w/a Samsung SD-816 16x DVD drive, which are cheap brand new ($25 US)

I've heard it mentioned that different rev. boards had different drives w/ different fimware, however, I've replaced 246 drives on all revisions with the SD-816, and they all worked perfectly :]

If it's not your drive though, not sure what to tell you man...
crackstation

Post by crackstation »

Maybe the dongle of that game is wrong , do you have more games?
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

I've tinkered quite a bit with the 246, and know teh system very well. I've owned just about all of the jamma games. I have never ONCE seen a "board boot error".

In the motherboard that I had which had a bad DVD drive, the system wouldn't get past teh swirling screen. It sounds like you have an issue with your PCB, not the software or DVD drive.

I think if you use the wrong dongle, it gives a security dongle error message... could be mistaken though.
purplec

Post by purplec »

I got the board up and running in the end turns out it was a power issue from the jamma harness, so its happy gaming from here. I have successfully booted up soul calibur 3 and capcom fighting jam and also one of the gundam games but cant seem to get tekken 4 working just freezes at the now loading tekken 4 prompt.

Cheers
Purplec
crackstation

Post by crackstation »

Maybe the 5v is low or the dongle card is worng. I also had problems with the system 246 because this system need more powerfull in the 5v, has a dvd-drive.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

purplec wrote:I got the board up and running in the end turns out it was a power issue from the jamma harness, so its happy gaming from here. I have successfully booted up soul calibur 3 and capcom fighting jam and also one of the gundam games but cant seem to get tekken 4 working just freezes at the now loading tekken 4 prompt.

Cheers
Purplec
How long on Tekken 4 did you wait before you determined it was frozen? I recall mine taking a long time every now and again.
purplec

Post by purplec »

I waited for over 10-15 mins with the same screen every other game I have for the systems boots within minutes.

Regards
Ciaran F
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Just as an aside I also heard that various revisions of Namco 245/246 required different types of expensive DVDroms, however it appears to be a bit of a fallacy. I actually bought a 246 in Japan without a DVDrom thinking I'd have to fork out a shed load for genuine drive. I almost never bought it. However, **** off at the prices I decided to try a few I had lying around and found that 8 out of 10 worked. There seemed no real reason or preference. The one I eventually went with was a Samsung and cost me £5 on eBay so don't go hunting down anything fancy!

The drive spun up and registered within 30 seconds. Any longer than that and it's either a laser issue or the drive is duff / on it's way out / not compatible.
purplec

Post by purplec »

Well the drive seems to be fine since i can load other games it just seems to be tekken 4 at the moment that wont load. Also does anyone know where to get the 10 pin amp kick harness. I need since i want to play capcom fighting jam dont wanna solder anything on to the pins.

Regards
Purplec
purplec

Post by purplec »

Does anyone know where to get an unlocked dvd drive for the 246 system, anyhelp would be great

edit
Ok sorted now found an old MSI DVDRW drive that I decide to give a whirl and it worked a treat on my capcom fighting jam, gundam, soul calibur 2 and soul calibur 3 but still no joy with my tekken 4 at this point it has to be a problem with my disc. So at this point im looking for a new disc

ps the load time seems to be alot faster now but was wondering would the dvdrw drive damage the discs

cheers
purplec
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

purplec wrote:Does anyone know where to get an unlocked dvd drive for the 246 system, anyhelp would be great

edit
Ok sorted now found an old MSI DVDRW drive that I decide to give a whirl and it worked a treat on my capcom fighting jam, gundam, soul calibur 2 and soul calibur 3 but still no joy with my tekken 4 at this point it has to be a problem with my disc. So at this point im looking for a new disc

ps the load time seems to be alot faster now but was wondering would the dvdrw drive damage the discs

cheers
purplec
No point me looking out that DVDr for you - glad to see it worked out - well done. Nice set of titles you have too ;-)