Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

PCB problems and fixes
jase
Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

Post by jase »

Hi,

I've just purchased Planet Harriers and control panel.

First thing is im a bit confused about the power supply units. I've found one suitable for the hikaru system and the spec states 'Input: 100 - 120V~ 3A'. Does this mean I need a step down transformer to use the system? (im in the UK)

Secondly the Hikaru unit has a VGA output. So can I connect the Hikaru unit straight to a VGA compatible monitor?

Any hints/tips/advice would be very much appreciated as all this is new to me, up until now i've just owned a supergun and jamma boards.

Thanks,

Jason
myuniversallove

Re: Hikaru board / Planet Harriers

Post by myuniversallove »

nice start with the most complex mobo there is ;) :) great game by the way! andy @ andygeezerservice will have all the in info you need.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Game is sick.. Reminds me of Afterburner Climax, probably down to similar team on both games.

You need an anlogue stick and you'll be good, it's standard JVS I/O. Everytime I get PH rom boards I sell them pretty much same week. It's cult game in Japan.

JNC have a nice Japanese PH Twin import for £1100
Say hello to my little friend...
myuniversallove

jase wrote:Hi,

I've just purchased Planet Harriers and control panel.

First thing is im a bit confused about the power supply units. I've found one suitable for the hikaru system and the spec states 'Input: 100 - 120V~ 3A'. Does this mean I need a step down transformer to use the system? (im in the UK)

Secondly the Hikaru unit has a VGA output. So can I connect the Hikaru unit straight to a VGA compatible monitor?

Any hints/tips/advice would be very much appreciated as all this is new to me, up until now i've just owned a supergun and jamma boards.

Thanks,

Jason

use a stepdown converter 220 to 110,vga to pc monitor will do,rest andy alraidy answerd ;)
footix
Please Continue...

Post by footix »

That game is a gem :) It is very fast and sick
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I would love to play it again. its one of my long term goals.

Its 25khz, some VGA monitors might not like it.
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

dieKatze88 wrote:I would love to play it again. its one of my long term goals.

It's 31.5KHZ standard VGA
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

andygeezer wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:I would love to play it again. its one of my long term goals.

It's 31.5KHZ standard VGA
Really? I kept reading on the internet everywhere that its 25khz. How about that.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Where was that Klov ? its says on there that most Naomi games are 24k.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Pete wrote:Where was that Klov ? its says on there that most Naomi games are 24k.
probably, a couple other places too. I know I have the service manual to it somewhere, I just haven't read it.
jase

Post by jase »

I've been wanting to play this game for years, ever since I first saw pics of the game in UK's Edge magazine. I can't wait for it to arrive.

The metal case was removed from the Hikaru board by the seller and shipped separately to help safeguard the PCB during shipping. Fingers crossed its all working when it turns up.

It doesn't sound quite as complicated to set up as I had previously thought so thats all good.

Thanks very much for all the info, its much appreciated!
Jase
footix
Please Continue...

Post by footix »

Yeah those mobos, are like mofos...

Those Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge heatsinks on a bga chip... that's insane... the board gets pretty hot aswel...

JVS and 31k :)
jase

Post by jase »

Hi there and happy new year!

Im still a bit confused about the power supply.

As far as I understand I need a stepdown transformer and this PSU unit:

http://www.giz10p.co.uk/Electronic-Part ... od_99.html"

Could someone please advise me on how I can plug the stepdown into the PSU unit as the PSU unit seems to have some odd kind of connection.

Many thanks in advance!
Jase
wombat
Initials: WBT

Post by wombat »

From the menu you can chose to run Planet Harriers in 24 of 31khz, so thats where the confusion all started ;).

BTW if someone has the flightstick from PH for sale (or the whole CP), please PM me. I'd like to finally play with my NOS PH kit :-)
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

wombat wrote:From the menu you can chose to run Planet Harriers in 24 of 31khz, so thats where the confusion all started ;).

BTW if someone has the flightstick from PH for sale (or the whole CP), please PM me. I'd like to finally play with my NOS PH kit :-)
There is an option in all Hikaru games for display type "Autoscan" or "24K", but I find the 24K ropey, seems to forget the setting or just sometimes outputs at 31K..
jase

Post by jase »

Hi chaps...

Am I right in thinking I can chop off the Sun Power Supply Unit input connection, fit an American style two pin plug and plug it straight into the step downn transformer?

Many thanks,
Jase
jase

Post by jase »

Hi there

I tested my Planet Harriers today and it says 'I/O board not connected to game board'.

The I/O board has a 12 pin connector and I cant see where it slots in on the main board.

Also he main board and I/O also have two small similar connections, on the main board there are two black plastic connections labeled 'TOTX195' and 'TOTX194'. There is also a small metal connection. What are these connections for and do they have to be connected to the main board? If so, where can I find a suitable lead?

Many thanks indeed,

Jase
myuniversallove

i/o not conected is just the lead to the i/o usb. the cable you mean is a glasfiber link cable you won t need that.only needed for nascar arcade/star wars/virtual on etc etc
jase

Post by jase »

Thanks very much for your reply.

Im still a tad confused tho. So if I fit a USB leed between the I/O and the game board it should work?

Or are you saying I don't need this cable at all? If thats the case can I just skip past the 'I/O board not connected to game board' screen?

Sorry im a complete noob when it comes to Sega hardware, your advice is much appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Jase
myuniversallove

jase wrote:Thanks very much for your reply.

Im still a tad confused tho. So if I fit a USB leed between the I/O and the game board it should work?

Or are you saying I don't need this cable at all? If thats the case can I just skip past the 'I/O board not connected to game board' screen?

Sorry im a complete noob when it comes to Sega hardware, your advice is much appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Jase
take a usb cable from the hikaru to the i/o and your done just make sure there is power to the jvs as well .thats the only thing needed to get the game running.