DOJ dies, people cry, buy better games instead :awe:

PCB problems and fixes
trmatthe
-
Re: I don't f*cking believe this, my DOJ is dead.

Post by trmatthe »

emphatic wrote: When the Ketsui I accidentally broke came back from CAVE/Fuijita, the factory scratched parts (to avoid copying, mt8) were all shiny. So it's almost better than new now. :awe:
Did the unground ICs contain any 'real' part numbers or just internal Cave p/ns? If actual real part numbers then it would be very interesting to publish these for future reference.

tim
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

trmatthe
-

Post by trmatthe »

Oooh. Now to persuade somebody to let us crack those PALs :sick:
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

3 years later, i think that ... my PCB just died :(

Launch it today, everything was fine, and i was expecting to switch it to a black label considering the recent rom decrypt after a quick test

Press start, then squares everywhere, " ERRORé writing everywhere on pink .

Then i start it again , a whole screen with number with big yellow " ERROR MESSAGE "

Shut it down and got it up again, and now i have the " ERROR MEMORY MODE " screen of death :cry: :cry:

Srsly , even if that doesn't make me less sad, hopefully someone did manage to decrypt the rom. 5 or 10 more years and every single PCB will be dead imo ...
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

i don't get it.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Are you rocking a genuine ROM or has it been modified? Can you upload a pic of the error?
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

No, i think we misunderstood.

I was " planing " to change my DOJ WL to a DOJ BL.

But my PCB was never changed, all roms / eeproms were never changed.

So as i said, at my first start, i got normal startup, then when i pressed start, i got half of the Ship select menu, with Pink text ERROR blabla on top left.

Then i shutdown , i got this ( sorry for upside down pics ):

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/8b9d8bf4-e ... f12b5f.jpg"

Shut it down again, then i got this ( all the time ) :

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/ea374311-f ... 80f86f.jpg"

And sometime, i got this :

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/bccefc ... a8b3a6.jpg"

Seems bad right ? :problem:
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

Yes, i remember well, back when i first came here to ask help for my board.

When i saw it , i remembers yours and said " oh god , noes :x "
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

And this, gentlemen, is why I won't buy a DOJ.

At least we know why CPS3 **** dies. DOJ just does it for no reason whatsoever. :problem:
ImageImageImageImage
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

When mine was fixed it looked like a crystal was replaced and some stuff was reflowed...
Artemio
eBay: gseed
Initials: AUG

Post by Artemio »

I got mine a few weeks back. It still had the battery, and was starting to leak, so I removed it and changed it for a CR2032 after disabling the charge circuit.

It must be noted that I have the other two cave pcbs, and had done the same thing to them without issues. In this case however, I found several issues. The game froze form time to time, and some graphics were corrupted.

I reflowed the solder from the ROMs and ROM holders, since I noticed that the issue changed if I moved the board slightly. After fixing that, I still had some graphical problems. Pressing each chip I figured out that it was one of the four RAM chips located close to the game ROMs and BIOS. I reflowed the solder on that one and have gotten rid of freezes and graphic corruption.

I must note that I also have cartridge based boards, and one of them had heavy corruption due to a leaking battery when I got it. I could get it to boot and got to a screen just as the one above showing the error. In that scenario, also a few legs of these RAM chips had been eaten out. I used jumper wires and got to a booting BIOS, but the board still doesn't work properly. I mention this because RAM issues lead me to both scenarios, but in the case of DOJ reflowing the solder fixed the board for me.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Artemio wrote:I got mine a few weeks back. It still had the battery, and was starting to leak, so I removed it and changed it for a CR2032 after disabling the charge circuit.
Would it not be possible to replace the battery with a supercap? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261040739493"
Some people have used these on MVS boards with great success. They retain data for about three months on a full charge.
Artemio wrote:eaten out
:awe:
ImageImageImageImage
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

As you may know , when my pcb first died, i had removed the battery for months. I manage to fix it by myself, then now it died AGAIN, three years after battery removing ...

I think i found where it is corroded ( with my multimeter ) but i'll have to solder one pin on a chip, which is thiner than a needle ... With my shaking hands, i can already forgot. You would all die if you see How bad was my previous solder on that board ...
Casey120
The Fluffer
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Post by Casey120 »

cools wrote:When mine was fixed it looked like a crystal was replaced and some stuff was reflowed...
If it needed re-flowing it means that it overheats and **** up the solder but then the metal case + fan are the means prevent that, No ?
I changed my battery and still keep it in the metal case , I replaced the rom with the hacked one not to long ago and have yet to run in to trouble .

BTW
I checked my PGM mobo battery last week and it looked like this, my own fault because I know of the CAVE PGM battery woes :

Luckily I still had one left so I replaced the battery and also and cleaned up the board .

Artemio
eBay: gseed
Initials: AUG

Post by Artemio »

idc wrote:
Artemio wrote:I got mine a few weeks back. It still had the battery, and was starting to leak, so I removed it and changed it for a CR2032 after disabling the charge circuit.
Would it not be possible to replace the battery with a supercap? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261040739493"
Some people have used these on MVS boards with great success. They retain data for about three months on a full charge.

Sounds interesting, I will look into it. Thanks!
Catzoo wrote:As you may know , when my pcb first died, i had removed the battery for months. I manage to fix it by myself, then now it died AGAIN, three years after battery removing ...

I think i found where it is corroded ( with my multimeter ) but i'll have to solder one pin on a chip, which is thiner than a needle ... With my shaking hands, i can already forgot. You would all die if you see How bad was my previous solder on that board ...
I feel your pain man, I was up all night fixing mine. The battery leak did eat a bit more than I had noticed, I've got some random failures with inputs these days. I cleaned it up throughly again, and have been patching the damaged tracks. Yes, thiner than a needle....

But it is working again =)
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Re: DOJ dies, people cry, buy better games instead :awe:

Post by KmanSweden »

PICTURES, DAMNIT!
I need pictures. Just need 'em. I'm a picture junkie, ok?
Up the Irons!
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

So here's my first repair ( yeah , i know , disgusting )

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/4bec0135-f ... 94edbd.jpg"

And here's the one i think is broken :

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/2ca9dd00-f ... c3de23.jpg"

As you can see, the line going from R2 chip to that INFINITE FREAKIN IMPOSSIBLE TO SOLDER chip :awe:

I tried with my multimeter, no bleep , so i'm sure it's this one. But how can i solder it :(

Even my first reapair broke every time, the solder on the PCB always go away ( but i'm sure my first repair is ok , cause the error is not the same , i even try to unsolder and solder it again , unsolder i got the problem i use to have, resolder i got the actual "memory error " )
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

When soldering small stuff you need flux and lots of it.
Thanks for the pics btw. :)
Up the Irons!
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

Two years later, finally someone who was able to reflux and solder bad tracks ... now i got error : memory node use :( http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 89#p381989"

I saw people having their quartz replaced when send to fujita, can i replace it by myself ?
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

Do you have the patched rom on that pcb already? This game expects code in the battery backed ram. If it is not there "the game won't work".
I am not sure if this means that message will come on the screen. about the memory node.

The patched / hacked rom also has highscore saving and other nice fixes, so i really suggest to install that one. (And a new battery if you want to save settings like free play & scores.)