Naomi MVC2 Boot Issue

PCB problems and fixes
Knickabob
Please Continue...
eBay: Knickabob
Initials: BBC

Naomi MVC2 Boot Issue

Post by Knickabob »

I purchased an MVC2 and Guilty Gear X cart from a nice dude on eBay. Well packaged and received quickly. GGX tested and plays well. MVC2 doesn't work on either of my Naomi boards.

Naomi #1: runs MY MVC2 cart daily for the past 6+ months. Doesn't work on Naomi #2 for some reason, but no biggie, since it works on #1. Switching power supply powering Jamma harness, ATX to Naomi. 25" raster monitor run to ISO. Installed in Z back cabinet set up to be able to run jamma boards or Naomi without having to remove Naomi board.

Naomi #2: runs my other Naomi carts in another cabinet. This is the cabinet I wish to run the new MVC2 cart in. Internal ATX power supply running Jamma. Separate ATX runs Naomi. Installed in Big Blue CPS2 cabinet, with CPS2 board still present, to be utilized when not using Naomi.

Naomi 2 gives E1 message, or completes Naomi boot up to fade to black screen. Test menu shows "unknown game" or equivalent message. (I'm not intelligent, nor do I have a photographic memory). Cannot enter game test menu. Naomi 1 will show "Now Loading" and does not progress. Test menu will show MVC2 cart is, in fact, MVC2. ROM test on board tests ok. ROM test in game test menu freezes.

Important note: on 2 of the 3 connectors on "new" MVC2 cart have a crack. One is slightly more fierce than the other. Attached are photos showing the carnage. My theory is that the cracks keep the nearby pins from applying pressure properly, thus allowing the game to be read properly. Also, yes, I am using screws to hold in both MVC2 carts, since neither will boot without them (irritating, since literally every other cart I have boots with zero issues without screws, thus making troubleshooting a very irritating process as I seek even pressure across all 4 screws)

Clarification: I currently have 2 MVC2 carts, MY MVC2 I've had for the past 6+ months and the "new" one. The one I am troubleshooting is the "new" one.

Seller is willing to accept the return, but I'm hoping there is something I can do. I've considered pulling plastic connector off my Virtua Striker and installing them on the "new" MVC2 cart. I've accidentally removed the plastic off the non-connecting side on another board and reseated it without issue, so it's a plausibility to change the plastics and save the cart. If I return it, I must also return GGX, which would be a great tragedy. He wants to claim USPS insurance, which would guarantee both would be destroyed and the idea of destroying a perfectly good cart guts me. Dude comes across as a legit bro, a collector from the 90s, so I don't believe he's using me to get dough through nefarious means. He states it worked on all 3 of his Naomi boards, so I believe it did. My concern is if something happened to it between testing and packaging. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.