PCB problems and fixes
yonggarri
Please Continue...
eBay: Yonggarri
Initials: YSJ

My Cave PCB's booting is unstable

Post by yonggarri »

Hello guys.

I have a Dodonpachi Resurrection PCB I bought about 10 years ago.
It's been working fine until recently, but has some problem now.
When I try to power it up, it doesn't turn on for a few times and then it just turns on.
I experienced other cave PCB shows the same problem and died in the end, so I'm a liitle concerned about this.
Is there any way to repair it?

Thanks for reading.
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Re: My Cave PCB's booting is unstable

Post by Sunder »

Im about 85% sure it's the SMD chips lifting off the pads.
buffi

Post by buffi »

I am also quite curious what causes this, since I own a Muchi Muchi Pork with similar issues.
Sunder wrote: November 8th, 2020, 12:25 am Im about 85% sure it's the SMD chips lifting off the pads.
Whats your reasoning for thinking that?
Something youve seen yourself?
Ive been assuming some cap is going bad, but i havent spent much time investigating.
mikejmoffitt
eBay: 7raster

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Make sure the 32.768MHz crystal near the CPU is solid too. if it's missing, the board will repeatedly reset. You can see this from the red CONF_DONE LED pulsing very slightly during reset.

Otherwise, the board gives no indication that the CPU is running until it has finished configuring the FPGA and began executing the game out of RAM.

A few things that are possibly stopping boot, that I have encountered and had to fix in the past:

* Simple TSOP or QFP solder breakage, as suggested in this thread
* Bad main RAM acting unreliably (the IC between the FPGA and the long edge of the board)
* Bad FPGA connections, due to trace rot/damage/possible BGA fracture (I have replaced the FPGA once, it was not that bad ultimately)

The CPU boots off of the program flash, bootstraps the FPGA by sending it a bitstream, copies the main game program into RAM, and then executes from there. What it does after that varies from game to game, but usually involves loading of a lot of graphics data from the larger flash into video RAM while doing some other tasks.

If the boot is unreliable, but it always remains solid once it is actually going, then maybe start by inspecting the NOR flash at U4 for poor connection to the pads.