Most player buttons on a JVS cab?

PCB problems and fixes
UrQuan3
eBay: ur-quan3
Initials: BMH

Most player buttons on a JVS cab?

Post by UrQuan3 »

This might belong in the SuperGun Q&A, an admin can move it if needed

I am in the middle of designing a fully generic JVS to controller interface, or as generic as possible. My current question is, what is the most player buttons ever used on a JVS game? The JVS spec supports up to 8 buttons per player (plus start, service, and joystick). It could probably extend to 10 buttons without modification. But, all SEGA cabs I have seen max at 6 buttons. Some Taito cab that looks like they used 7, but that might be start. Looking at the JVS wiki on arcadeotaku, it looks like the “Sega 838-13683-93” and “Taito JVS-AMP PCB Ver2.00” JVS to JAMMA interfaces could have 9 buttons.

The reason for my question really relates to how do I intend to attach control panels or fight sticks to the interface? One of the most standard ways would be a DB15 per player using the Neo Geo AES pinout, like some of the SuperGuns seem to. However, the AES pinout only allows for 6 player buttons (plus joystick, start, and coin). I could add a 7th using the unused pin 9, but that would be it. I suppose I could also use the Naomi Universal’s AMP connectors, but that still maxes out at 7 buttons. So, can anyone think of a JVS game that used more than 6 or 7 buttons?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Re: Most player buttons on a JVS cab?

Post by markedkiller78 »

Street fighter v arcade uses 8 buttons and there’s a dedicated panel for the vewlix

Edit: it uses the fast IO, ignore me
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I think you'll be fine with 6 buttons plus start and coin.

DB15 is the standard, yes.
UrQuan3
eBay: ur-quan3
Initials: BMH

Post by UrQuan3 »

markedkiller78 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:59 am Street fighter v arcade uses 8 buttons and there’s a dedicated panel for the vewlix

Edit: it uses the fast IO, ignore me
Hmm, thank you for the research topic. I know next to nothing about the Taito Type X systems, or Fast I/O. It makes me wonder what is going on under the hood. The circumstances suggest a higher clock JVS, but I have no idea. I suppose JVS might be considered a bit slow. The controller update transfers take 208us for 1 player and 347us for two player. I don't have the info needed to time the handshake. (seems plenty fast to me, but I have pretty bad reflexes)

What is really going on is, if I am going to spend a significant amount of time and money building a custom controller and interface, I want to be able to reuse them. The setup already allows changing

Controller -> Controller2JVS_interface -> Naomi
and
Controller -> Controller2USB_interface -> PC

with things like
Controller -> Controller2SNES -> SNES

easy to add in the future without needing more ($100+/5hour+) controllers. Controller -> Atari_2600 or Controller -> Master_System are just attaching the correct pins and really easy.

Controller2JAMMA? That's going to require some thought.