[SOLVED] Issue with ArcadeHacker CPS1.5 Kabuki desuicide method on TK2

PCB problems and fixes
TorSKY
eBay: cards.-n-.games
Initials: SKY

[SOLVED] Issue with ArcadeHacker CPS1.5 Kabuki desuicide method on TK2

Post by TorSKY »

Hi everyones,

I own a Three Kingdom 2, and due to a wrong manipulation, my Kabuki suicided. So I now have a black screen.

I bought an Arduino UNO, an LCD kit and tried the desuicide method from ArcadeHacker.

The program rolls properly (or seems to), then I add a battery on pin 28/27 after finishing the routine before turning the arduino off, or removing the Kabuki from the socket, then I plug it back on the Q board, remove the additionnal battery. And I still have a black screen.

Is there a way to be sure that the programm flashed the Kabuki properly ? My TK2 isn't "phonixed" and I don't think it uses decrypted roms as it doesn't work anymore after my error on manipulating the Kabuki chip. But the EPROM stickers aren't original ones, so it may has been modified in a way. And this doesn't help me knowing if the issue comes from my programmer, my kabuki or my EPROMs...

Any idea welcome !

Thanks a lot !
Last edited by TorSKY on June 17th, 2020, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Cheapest French Game Center since 2012-
My arcade games collection
TorSKY

Re: Issue with ArcadeHacker CPS1.5 Kabuki desuicide method on TK2

Post by TorSKY »

Small update. I own a Puniher US version. I'm sure its Q board's ROMs are unmodified as there are 4 maskroms and 1 EPROM with original sticker.

I put a battery on its Kabuki, removed it, tried to program my TK2's Kabuki into a Punisher's one, put this reprogrammed Kabuki on my Punisher board and......... Black screnn...

I put the original Kabuki back, and my Punisher still works like a charm (quite happy to have avoided suicide on this game by making this crosscheck...)

So now, I know the problem doesn't comes from a modified Q board ROMs, it's either a dead Kabuki, or my programmer that doesn't works. As I have 2 suicided Kabuki that were working a minute before I suicided them by error, I'm almost sure they're ok (beside the suicide) so my problem must be the programmer. I tried using this clone UNO and this clone Leonardo to program my Kabuki, I don't think this is a problem to use a clone ? maybe it is ?

[EDIT]: After another try with the clone UNO, I succeded to program my TK2's Kabuki, into a working Punisher Kabuki. So I'm 100% sure the Kabuki's working. I know the programmer may works with clone UNO, but I still have a black screen while trying with TK2. As it's not a 100% success even on my original Punisher, my programmer may be capricious. I'm still not sure is the TK2 EPROM are original or modified.

TorSKY

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with ArcadeHacker CPS1.5 Kabuki desuicide method on TK2

Post by TorSKY »

Oookay, so I got it working, it must be a problem with my UNO clone, after a lot of testing I increased the "time" value to 30 in the Arduino program (instead of 25).

Code: Select all

// delay amount
int time = 30;
My TK2 is now back to life, thanks to everyone who helped: me. Also thanks to leonardoliveira who sends me some files in order to turn my CPS1.5 to a batteryless version. I didn't use his files as I succeded to get my game back on tracks, but it was reassuring to know an alternate solution existed.