SEGA Naomi Universal Cabinet - Button Wiring Questions

PCB problems and fixes
Greyvvolf
eBay: PingquayMiyangon

SEGA Naomi Universal Cabinet - Button Wiring Questions

Post by Greyvvolf »

Hey everyone,

I initially asked this question on Reddit and was advised to come here.

So, I have a SEGA Naomi Universal cabinet and it looks to be stock. It has Virtua Tennis and a control panel with 2 players and only two buttons. This is my first time buying an arcade cabinet so I tried my best to do a lot of research before buying it. I found out I could add 6 buttons. When I bought it, the seller even said everything was in there to add 6 buttons.

This week I actually had a chance to open it up and get more comfortable with how everything is wired and set up. I apologize in advance if I don't know a lot of terms yet. When looking at the cabinet I noticed I did not have a Capcom I/O board. My cabinet has a SEGA JVS I/O, from my understanding.

Here is how the control panel is wired.

But when looking online I have found information that says I have everything already to add the extra buttons, without having to buy a Capcom I/O board. Below is a post of how my wiring is setup, taken from another user. I couldn't explain it myself.

My question is, for the Red, white and yellow "plugs", what kind of wiring harness would I buy to change my cabinet to 6 buttons instead of two?
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Re: SEGA Naomi Universal Cabinet - Button Wiring Questions

Post by LarsVegas »

You don't need a capcom I/O board for 6 button on the naomi universal. It's only for using the naomi on a jamma cab. The JVS board supports 6 buttons., but you need an extra harness for button 4-6 each player. I don't know where to get it in the US. One of the plugs in the controlpanel is the one you are looking for. The wiring in your cab seems not original. It is normally the right one on my picture. Of course you can drill extra holes into the CP, but be careful with the overlay. Purchasing an original or reproduction is the best choice. They are not so expensive. You can use any Sega style Panel. Hope this will help. Greets Lars
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

This is the cable you need:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That exact one won't work, because his wiring is different. Some American cabs have non-standard Molex connectors and wiring. He needs to take off the monitor surround and meter which connector and pins the digital inputs on the IO are passed to.

http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/the ... ockid=1718
Greyvvolf
eBay: PingquayMiyangon

Post by Greyvvolf »

LarsVegas wrote: January 25th, 2020, 12:03 am You don't need a capcom I/O board for 6 button on the naomi universal. It's only for using the naomi on a jamma cab. The JVS board supports 6 buttons., but you need an extra harness for button 4-6 each player. I don't know where to get it in the US. One of the plugs in the controlpanel is the one you are looking for. The wiring in your cab seems not original. It is normally the right one on my picture. Of course you can drill extra holes into the CP, but be careful with the overlay. Purchasing an original or reproduction is the best choice. They are not so expensive. You can use any Sega style Panel. Hope this will help. Greets Lars
Thanks for the information! You explained a lot of questions that I had. It seems all roads are leading toward trying to find someone who can make a harness for the extra buttons. I am currently talking to someone on eBay who makes harnesses, so hopefully he is be able to help me.

For now, I bought a Gigawing 2 cartridge so I am going to fix up the cab and rotate the monitor until I get a solution for the extra buttons.