Hyper Neo Geo 64 JAMMA connection question

PCB problems and fixes
vholfx
eBay: vholfx

Hyper Neo Geo 64 JAMMA connection question

Post by vholfx »

Hi all,

I bought a couple of Hyper Neo Geo 64 boards, one is the JAMMA version the other is not. According to wikipedia, the non-JAMMA version just have the sound output coming out of a JST connector.

So my question is, how safe is it to connect the non-JAMMA board into my JAMMA cabinet? (I do not own a supergun just yet). Since my cab is wired for standard JAMMA, would I run the risk of damaging the board?

Thanks!
suicider
Please Continue...
eBay: suicidekiller

Re: Hyper Neo Geo 64 JAMMA connection question

Post by suicider »

If your board has no JAMMA edge at all it's the shooting board which will only be capable to play Beast Busters 2nd Nightmare.

As I would assume you want to play the fighting games? You would need the fighting board then. There are two revisions (both have the JAMMA edge and therefor are compatible of course). The one with the volume knob is Rev. 1. The one with JST connectors and red cables running to the top board is Rev.2.

And just for completion: The driving board also has JAMMA edge and JST connectors but the cables are multi-colored.
Awbacon
Please Continue...
eBay: Awbacon
Initials: Aeb

Post by Awbacon »

Do you have the volume pot on one board?

The easiest way to tell is as follows

Rev 1 fighting - volume pot, plastic connectors on front (JST VL AND YL)

Rev 2 fighting - no volume pot, multiple plastic connectors on front (JST VL AND YL)

Beast Busters - no JAMMA edge at all, will not play any other games (super easy to tell, as there is no edge)

Driving - bios chip on the underside of the board should be stickered to indicate as such. At least mine is with a D bios, assuming for driving

Korean Mobo - never seen one in real life. Chances are you don't have one I'd guess lol

I briefly tested a rev 1 board on my Supergun, and just got extremely low level audio off the JAMMA edge.

You can just hook up a JST connector to the front to output audio and wire that into your speakers. Only a few wires. Or you can convert it to run off the JAMMA edge correctly by bridging a pin on the mobo. Jamma Nation X has a tutorial on this. Takes no time...longer to heat your soldering iron up than do the job itself
vholfx
eBay: vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Sorry for not posting the full info.

I'm positive it is a Rev1 fighting board, it came with Samurai Shodown and has a volume pot. I was only concerned with any possible damage done by connecting that to a standard jamma harness the same way I've been warned about connecting an MVS neo geo to a jamma.

Thanks for clearing that out for me.

In a side-note, I found another Rev1 board which came with an interesting converter/mod.
20191029_101449.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suicider
Please Continue...
eBay: suicidekiller

Post by suicider »

Since the Rev. 1 is using standard JAMMA you should be good to go. The only Hyper Neo Geo board that supports the MVS pinout is the Rev. 2 fighting board. And this one has two switches underneath to change between JAMMA and MVS.

The only thing to take care of with a Rev. 1 mobo are the JST connectors. The left one is a 5V line which is needed for the sound amp to work properly. The right one is for picking up stereo sound. And that's probably what the adapter is for.

See here for an English Rev. 1 mobo manual. Pages 16 and 17 have the JST connectors covered.

http://arcade.db.free.fr/infos/docs/Hyper-64.pdf