Post by acidburn7683 »

SNES FLASH CART

Anyone know if one has been produced yet? where I can buy one :?:
acidburn(7683)

"and then I replied, i'm not gonna kiss you now u've done that!"
Orkie

Re: SNES FLASH CART

Post by Orkie »

Nobody makes them anymore. Tototek did until fairly recently, maybe they will make another batch sometime? Neo Flash was on about making one, but it never actually happened. Your best bet would be to keep an eye on eBay for a floppy copier, or Tototek also stock them. http://www.tototek.com/"
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

tototek are due to get another batch of edge connectors soon. so should be making them again soon.

tomy also has some Doctor SF7's in stock.

Front Far East are still selling Super Wildcards too.
maxchainsplendid
Please Continue...

Post by maxchainsplendid »

Holy **** - surprised to see this come up on here!

Yeah man! I made one for myself! :awe:

Well, mine was more a dev cart than a flash cart really - Regarding an actual "flash" cart, it's a bit tricky - There are multiple ways to do it, depending on what you want to play. Mostly, I just made a lot of dedicated carts and soldered the roms - as far as flash carts however, I did make a few when trying out titles, but they were actually zif socketed for flash. So I suppose that's a bit different than a flash cart... However, if that's something anyone's interested in, I'd be more than glad to share how

The thing is, due to different rom configurations, it'd be a **** to make an "all-compatible" flash cart. Thinking about it, if I were to build something, I'd probably go this route:

2 Carts, 1 for Hi-Rom and 1 Lo-Rom, with either cart you can play almost any game, less Star Ocean (the actual cart is very easy to hack anyhow), Street Fighter Alpha 2, and about 10 more games.

Then, since it'd be like a "flash cart" rather than say a dev cart w/zif sockets, I'd readdress the snes carts pinouts to 29F032 flash roms, and then wire in a programmer circuit w/a switch for W/R enable, and wire that to a parallel port.

So basically, from there, you could just plug the cart into a pc via parallel, flip the switch, open up a programming dialog, and erase/write whatever game you wanted ;)

SOOOOO cool to stumble on this thread, lol! I love this stuff, and I hardly ever see it in the forums (the ones I frequent anyhow) :lol:

Oh, and if anyone's interested in building their own, let me know if you need some tips, I'll be glad to help! :D
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Ok maxchainsplendid, I'll bite... out with the info!! hahaha

Do you have pics of the carts you constructed? I've read bits and pieces here and there on how to convert the games... it seems like a simple rom swap from what I can tell. Any suggestions on which carts to use for 'donor' hi-rom and lo-rom? Also, if I intend on making a couple of one-off carts (non reprogrammable), would going the eprom route make more sense than flash rom?

I've dabbled with game conversions in the arcade world, which I'd imagine is way more complex than SNES conversions. Any info or pics you might have would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks for this nice post guys!
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Checen Rebel wrote:Front Far East are still selling Super Wildcards too.
Are they really?!?! I bought my Super Wild Card DX2 directly from them back in 2000 or so. Damn thing took me FOREVER to gather the funds on a 16 year old's paper route salary haha. Do you have the URL for the website?
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

capcomguru wrote:
Checen Rebel wrote:Front Far East are still selling Super Wildcards too.
Are they really?!?! I bought my Super Wild Card DX2 directly from them back in 2000 or so. Damn thing took me FOREVER to gather the funds on a 16 year old's paper route salary haha. Do you have the URL for the website?
I bought one back in 1992 for my USA Snes, I paid over £300 for it and used to drive 80 mile round trip and pay £3 per floppy disk for the games.

Worst thing I ever bought, ended up with hundreds of games but never played any for more than ten minutes due to having too much choice.
purplec

Post by purplec »

I'd would defo be interested in a she's flash cart
maxchainsplendid
Please Continue...

Holy ****, I didn't know this got replied to :awe:
And for the record - I agree, wildcard's are pieces of **** :lol:
Here are some pics of carts:

Ok, now SF2 is special though, as it uses the FX2 chip, so that can't be made for flashing. There are a few more carts as well that use DSP1/2,FX,FX2,etc. special chips that are needed to run.

However, there are 2 main types that run over 90% of the games: Hi-Rom & Lo-Rom

I'll draw up & post a rough diagram up of what you could do to make your own flash cart if no one has a problem w/it (and if any of you are actually hardcore enough to do it) - but like I said, you'd either have to make 2 different carts, 1 for Hi, 1 for Low, OR technically you could install an 8 way switch. Have fun going that route, and fitting everything in one cart....you've already got one hell of a job on your hands pal -

The Starfox2 cart is easy as hell though, as it's just an addressing swap w/a27C801

For other systems, a Genesis flash cart would be very simple, since the geniuses at Sega didn't even bother to readdress the mask roms:

To sum it up - all carts that have roms are rom carts. Hell, even Naomi carts. As long as you can write data to a rom, address it to a cart, and what the cart expects to be there is there, you can make anything.

You can delete this topic now. :lol:
Last edited by maxchainsplendid on October 9th, 2008, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maxchainsplendid
Please Continue...

Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

capcomguru wrote:Are they really?!?! I bought my Super Wild Card DX2 directly from them back in 2000 or so. Damn thing took me FOREVER to gather the funds on a 16 year old's paper route salary haha. Do you have the URL for the website?
You need to contact Meng-Ming Liu at ffe@ms3.hinet.net (the website is http://www.front.com.tw/efront/contact.htm" but they have no info about the WC on there).

The prices are very high (about $200usd shipped for a SWC DX2, $150 for a diskdual). They aren't new either, but made up of left over parts.

The SWCDX is the bestest copybox ever, so sleek and black with a magnificent amiga floppy drive. =]

I liked the V64 too, but that was far from sleek.

£3 per floppy? almost cheaper to buy originals.. =] I paid about £15 for a blank CD-R (around 92-93ish) and just put all games released up until then onto it, much cheaper. :>
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Checen Rebel wrote:
capcomguru wrote: £3 per floppy? almost cheaper to buy originals.. =] I paid about £15 for a blank CD-R (around 92-93ish) and just put all games released up until then onto it, much cheaper. :>
£3 expensive? that made me laugh :lol: , to buy snes original imports back in the early 90's was about £50 - £100 if you could get to the import shops before they had sold out.
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

thegreathopper wrote:£3 expensive? that made me laugh :lol: , to buy snes original imports back in the early 90's was about £50 - £100 if you could get to the import shops before they had sold out.
£3 for a 25pence floppy = expensive. Around here it was £1 per disk (boot sales or a few FLT members who ran a bbs and sold warez :/ ).

As for import shops - well I've never paid retail for console stuff, always gonna be someone I know in the trade. ;>

Most import shops still try to charge ridiculous prices, even after the internet got big in the mid-90's. I like to think my stuff was more reasonable (although I never bothered selling software, too much piracy for me to bother - I was hardware only).
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Thread Resurrection. :awe:

I want a snes flash cart, but not keen on spending one meeelion dollah for it. Anyone? Instructions on building one myself would do...
@Alaska-
Please Continue...

Post by @Alaska- »

buy a super everdrive and you won't be disappointed
mchay
Please Continue...
eBay: mchay85
Initials: HAY

Post by mchay »

Indeed. The Everdrive is really a great flash cart for SNES games.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

@Alaska- wrote:buy a super everdrive and you won't be disappointed
But they are like a hundred bucks... :/
gradius
Bubble Bobble Binman
Initials: NES

Post by gradius »

I have been thinking of getting one of these for a while, so i just ordered one from here. http://warnersretrocorner.com/" Out of stock though.

I still have my Super Wildcard from 20 years ago and hundreds of disks.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

I loved my SWC.. Alas I sold it for a PS1 back in the day. Total regret as there are more playstations in this world than grains of sand. Ptooey!
Loving robots since the 80's.