CPS2 A Board Fried?

PCB problems and fixes
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...
eBay: maasasingleto-0
Initials: STR

CPS2 A Board Fried?

Post by SailorLodestar »

So I got my first ever cabinet last weekend. A sega blast city. I needed to order new harnesses for the controls but every once in a while I will boot it up just to look at the attract mode of the PCBs I own so far. Well, this morning I powered it up and saw that there was just a blank grey screen. I thought maybe the battery had died in my Vampire Savior cartridge so I put in Street Fighter Turbo, and then Cyberbots. Nothing. I put in Captain Commando and it booted up perfectly fine. Which made me think maybe the problem was with my CPS2 A board. Well while I had the A board in and was thinking this, I noticed a clicking (I think. Or some other odd sound). I thought a spider was crawling out of my A board but it was smoke! I powered everything down. And unplugged it. There's some residue on the jamma connector on the CPS2 now. Does anyone have any idea what the **** happened?
WTB: King of Dragons (US or world), Battle Circuit (Blue or Grey)
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: CPS2 A Board Fried?

Post by DaveyD »

Did you connect the Jamma harness the wrong way round?
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...

Post by SailorLodestar »

It’s not that. There’s an indicator sticker on my harness. Also it wasn’t unplugged and reconnected between last night when it was working and this morning.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Something shorted.

Open up the casing and look for visible damage.
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...

Post by SailorLodestar »

nem wrote: April 18th, 2019, 4:10 pm Something shorted.

Open up the casing and look for visible damage.
I don’t have the bits to open up security screws yet. (In mail) but when I got home, I thought I’d test one of the games that was working this morning.

Then I noticed the plastic is melted on the jamma harness and if I turn the cabinet on without attaching a game, I see the smoke immediately.

Maybe the problem can be deduced by looking at which pins are at the center of melting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's happened to me as well. You shorted out 5V and GND by bridging the pins. I'm surprised you didn't notice it right away. The smell is really, really bad.

You need a new jamma connector on the end of your harness.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

You can see that one end of the edge connector is broken. This will have made it much easier to misalign the connector as the two ends help to centralise the edge connector onto the PCB edge.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's actually both ends. It's a common fault with Hirose connectors. The plastic becomes brittle and the first casualty is the ends of the connectors. Most of mine look like that. You have to be really careful when aligning the board.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

If pin 7 had been keyed it would never have happened no matter if the plastic was broken at the sides.
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...

Post by SailorLodestar »

So I don't need a whole new cable set? I can just get a new connector and repin my harness to it?
Like this? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

Any hint at where I can get one with a keyed pin 7? (By keyed you mean there's a bump to match the empty space on the jamma connector to hold it in the proper place?)

Thank's you for all the advice everyone. I'm new to this and trying to learn.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

Do what I do - put a blob of solder across to bridge top & bottom pins together where the key goes, works perfectly and isn't going to drop out.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

penrhos wrote: April 19th, 2019, 10:51 pm Do what I do - put a blob of solder across to bridge top & bottom pins together where the key goes, works perfectly and isn't going to drop out.
I pull the pins out, then use a thin cable-tie pulled really tightly and hot glued in place for good measure.
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I've done something like that - pulled the pins out then superglued a piece of plastic like a chunk of CD case into the slot.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...

Post by SailorLodestar »

penrhos wrote: April 19th, 2019, 11:26 pm I've done something like that - pulled the pins out then superglued a piece of plastic like a chunk of CD case into the slot.
I’ll try that.

So am I ok to just buy this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-5-Arcade-J ... SwaB5Xl5iM

Then I can pull the pins from my old harness and just reconnect them to the same locations on the new connector?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

As you’re going to have to go to the hassle of removing every cable and soldering each one to a new edge connector then it’s best to buy a high quality one like:

https://akishop.jp/products/jamma-finge ... ctor-k_56h (select K-56H)

I bought keys from Neo Legend ages ago but I can’t see them on their website anymore. You can get them here:

http://www.smallcab.net/keyed-jamma-p-647.html
Layer

Post by Layer »

Indeed, with a key, this would never happen. Btw, you would have to remove it when you play a bootleg game or use an adapter to Jamma.
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...

Post by SailorLodestar »

crunchywasp wrote: April 20th, 2019, 5:16 am As you’re going to have to go to the hassle of removing every cable and soldering each one to a new edge connector then it’s best to buy a high quality one like:

https://akishop.jp/products/jamma-finge ... ctor-k_56h (select K-56H)

I bought keys from Neo Legend ages ago but I can’t see them on their website anymore. You can get them here:

http://www.smallcab.net/keyed-jamma-p-647.html
Thanks, those links are super helpful.

So for the resoldering process.

-take note of current pin locations
-cut off rubber pin covers?
-desolder the pins
-solder on to same locations on the new connector

But is there any way for me to replicate the rubber covers? They're necessary, aren't they?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Google ‘JAMMA pinout’ to get a pinout diagram. I’d recommend labelling each wire with the pin reference before removing them.

I’d just snip each wire as close as possible to the edge connector and strip the ends before resoldering to the new connector but you can remove the heat shrink tubing and desolder everything if you prefer.

You can remove the heat shrink with a sharp craft knife but be careful not to cut anything under it.

Replacing the heat shrink is easy - just cut it to length and remember to thread each wire through a piece before you solder it to the edge connector, then push it down over the soldered connection and heat it once your done.